Too much Keppra?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AliCat518

New
Reaction score
I have recently had my first seizure in 8 years, so ive been paranoid about making sure I take my meds. I took 2000mg at 9:45 last night. For some odd reason, I woke up at 2:30 this morning, thought it was morning, and took my morning dose(also 2000mg).

I finally woke up for good at 9:30am out of habit, took my morning dose. Then, about 20 min ago, I got paranoid that I hadnt actually taken it at 9am so i took my nighttime dose)2000mg)

That means ive had 8000 mg in less than 24 hours....is this bad?! I dont know how fast its metabolized....help! thanks!

For something like this I would definitely call your pharmacist or your doctor ASAP! because it all depends on your body type, size, age, other medical issues etc. so call!

I agree, with that much medication in your system, it can cause serious side effects.

I agree with everyone.

You've had a dose 30% higher than the highest overdose in the clinical trials. If it were me, I'd call the doc quick and get info on what to do. You can also call the poison control center. Note in the quote below that the postmarketing experience with Keppra overdose included coma. So call the doc. Find out how serious your 8000 mg is and what actions you should take.

Here are some of the symptoms of overdose:
The highest known dose of KEPPRA received in the clinical development program was 6000 mg/day. Other than drowsiness, there were no adverse events in the few known cases of overdose in clinical trials. Cases of somnolence, agitation, aggression, depressed level of consciousness, respiratory depression and coma were observed with KEPPRA overdoses in postmarketing use.

http://www.rxlist.com/keppra-drug.htm

Will you please post and let us know how you are doing tonight and tomorrow?

btw it may help if you use a med box with week days on it, thats what i do because if i didn't, i would do that everyday. im not the most focused person in the world lol and it really helps. but let us know how you're doing please

Alicat hasn't been in the forum since about 2:45 Yesterday afternoon. Hope she's okay.

If anything is wrong I think it's most likely that s/he's just sleeping off the extra Keppra

is there any way that you, epileric, because you are a moderator, can contact her to make sure she's ok. we are all worried about her

is there any way that you, epileric, because you are a moderator, can contact her to make sure she's ok. we are all worried about her

Sorry, that's not really possible.

Personally I wouldn't be too worried yet.

If it's any comfort I OD'd on my meds when I was prescribed an antibiotic that more than doubled the side-effects. After 3 days I'd finally figured out why I was sleeping all day & all night because of that & talked to a medical professional to fix the problem.

We've been here to support AliCat518 so s/he knows how to treat the situation now. It's also very possible they just joined because they needed advice & may not come back now that they feel safe. We really don't know:dontknow:

Hi all, I didn't know if I should post a new thread on Keppra, so let me know if I'm doing this wrong... still new at this msg board stuff lol.

That being said, I was on Keppra for I think a week or two, honestly can't remember, but I did notice mood swings as did my family. Since I ran out and couldn't afford to get another one I went back onto my Wellbutrin which is what they replaced Keppra with. I have my first neurology appt. today or tomorrow and I'm wondering if there is a certain drug I should request that doesn't give mood swings, or just any advise on seeing my first neurologist.

Thanks!

Hey guys, so sorry to worry you. I contacted poison control who told me that a double dose generally just makes you tired and maybe dizzy. They also explained that previous callers had reported taking more than I had taken, mostly without any side effects. I ended up being a bit tired, but fine in the end. Sorry to cause any worry. Hopefully this will help someone in the future!

I would still see a doctor if I were you. Those types of memory problems would worry me. What if you had taken more doses without realizing and didn't remember you were doubling up? Have you experienced other memory problems on Keppra or was this an isolated incident?

Thank you!

I'm glad you're alright, and this thread definitely just helped me, I just accidentally took an extra keppra pill meaning to take amoxicillin and I'm very thankful this thread was here to let me know that I'm totally fine.

Back
Top Bottom