Topamax

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

patek8ks

New
Reaction score
My neurologist just upped my dosage of topomax to 400mg in addition to changing my dosage schedule to 2 tabs in the am and 2 tabs in the pm...I was taking 300mg 1 tab every 8yrs and had been on that for years with terrible results my issue with this new regimen is..is I'm experiencing extreme fatigue and more confusion..topomax is not a new med to me I am just shocked that a new regimen and 100mg can cause this much of a change in my body!

I have been on Topamax since 2004. Recently he upped my Topamax by 100MG.
I take 300MG in the AM and 200PM along with Tegretol 300x3 phenobarb 32.4x1

I had refused to increase my phenobarb because it zaps my energy.

I've found that even small dose changes can make a difference. It varies from individual to individual of course. Sometimes there can be side effects during a transition period that go away after the brain gets used to the new dose. Hopefully that's the case for you. But if the fatigue and confusion persist let your neuro know and ask about trying a different med. Another option would be to try a different dosing schedule -- maybe spreading the 4 tabs out over the course of the day -- to see if that helps. Topamax has a long half-life so spreading out the doses shouldn't be problematic in terms of seizure control.

Thank you for you're input! It's only been 48hrs on my new regimen so I'm hoping with a Lil more time I can adjust and it being the weekend now I can rest more and adjust slowly I just don't like not being myself and not being able to put thoughts together and wanting to just sleep all the time bothers me as well by Monday if I still feel like this I will contact my neurologist to see if there can be an adjustment made.

48 hours isn't very long :) Try and remember back to what it was like when you first started taking the medication and how long it took you to adjust. It likely won't take you as long as adjusting to the 300 mg, but will still take time. I have found a medication increase can take as much as 1-2 weeks to adjust to. I have also found that if a dosage of a medication I've been taking was below therapeutic for me and I add even a small increase that then puts me into my therapeutic range that the side effects will be stronger and it takes longer to adjust.

Ive been on 400 mg of Topamax for about a year now...was increased 100 mg at that time...been on the drug for 12 years now..I think I did have a few months there of fatigue in the afternoon etc..but I'm one of those ppl that if I slow down in the afternoon, I can easily take a nap every single day...lol As long as I'm busy doing something, then I don't notice my own fatigue until I go upstairs around 8:00 and chill in my bed watching t.v. etc. It could go either way for you....you could adjust to it eventually, and not notice it but maybe the usual fatigue that you had before, or you might have a little more fatigue which is just something you will have to deal with...I can't say that I noticed even more thought process delay etc than normal with this drug...just a few months to get adjusted for me...I hope you do ok with it.....:)

Thank you for your I'm put =0) .. yes the fatigue more then anything has been my culprit...today since my increase 4 days ago is the first day I actually did more then I have..so it's all adjusting to the new fatigue syndrome where I can push myself and where I cant... I've been on Topomax myself for 10+years so this is nothing new just a new adjustment... just hate not being able to myself for more them 2 days sucks! Seizures usually keep me down for 2 days tops meds usually longer so I appreciate all the imput on others experiences on these meds it helps me to know I'm not alone in this battle!! Thank you all so much!!

Back
Top Bottom