topamax causing acne?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Phams413

New
Reaction score
Has this happened to anyone else on topamax?
I've had pretty clear skin my entire life, up until now. I started topamax a few months ago and now I have acne all over my forehead and it's starting to spread to other areas of my body. :sad:
Until I go to a dermatologist does anyone have any suggestions for what has worked for them to clear their skin while on topamax?

(already using benzoyl peroxide)

I had to switch to natural based cleansers because I found the synthetics far to rough on my skin (While I was on Topamax, I also had very sensitive facial skin). Try to steer clear of acids and harsh astringents. Those will dry your skin out, yes, but then you feel cracked, and the body will try to compensate by producing EVEN MORE oil. Clean your face 2 times a day, and put a soothing lotion on at bed time. A facial lotion. The regular body lotion is too heavy. Hope that helps!

I use natural soaps, like Gojo or Orange Goop. They are the same things you use to get automotive grease off yourself. The work great for getting rid of big zits fast.

I don't know about your medicine, but I have the same problem with Vimpat.

Both Dilantin and now Lamictal have caused mild acne for me. I never had any as a kid, so pretty distressing to get it in my 40s! I've found that it helps a bit to avoid sugary/salty /oily processed foods.

Thank you all for replying so quickly and being so helpful. I will definitely be trying all these

I had to switch to natural based cleansers because I found the synthetics far to rough on my skin (While I was on Topamax, I also had very sensitive facial skin). Try to steer clear of acids and harsh astringents. Those will dry your skin out, yes, but then you feel cracked, and the body will try to compensate by producing EVEN MORE oil. Clean your face 2 times a day, and put a soothing lotion on at bed time. A facial lotion. The regular body lotion is too heavy. Hope that helps!
I also have very sensitive skin, so that's very helpful. What natural based cleansers did you find most useful?

I use the brand Origins for all of my cleansing and facial needs. Specifically the Mega Mushroom line. I find it calms the redness in my face. If you are sensitive to scents, I can recommend other brands, but this is my go-to. It's pricey, but a little lasts a LONG time, and I feel it's worth it.

Sometimes it depends on the scent, because I have a lot of allergies. But any recommendations you have I'd be very open to.

YES I have had a few bad outbreaks that I have a few deep scars on my face!! They're not huge but they are noticible! My topomax makes my hair fall out too in the shower I ALWAYS have clumps in my hands when I wash it...I'm used to it now but was horrified..it started after they raised my dosage.

Back
Top Bottom