Topamax side effects

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Does frequent urination and muscle weakness go away with time?

I'm asking because patients seem to say it does but an Epiliptologist said it won't.

The problems is this drug kindda helped me and there are only 2 drugs that give me some kind of controll. With that said I had the frequent urination problem and the weakness for like 3 weeks so I'm wonderring.

You might want to ask your GP if it really becomes a problem maybe they have a suggestion. I would say stick it out a little longer I am on Topamax and have been for a while now. (the generic version-Mylan brand-I had problems with the other) if you are on a generic you might try switching brands if you can it might make a diffrerence. Or ask to be on Brand Name only to see if that makes a difference. Anyway it can't hurt to ask the pharmacist or chemist if you have that option. It might make a difference it made a difference in my case.

Tina

You might want to ask your GP if it really becomes a problem maybe they have a suggestion. I would say stick it out a little longer I am on Topamax and have been for a while now. (the generic version-Mylan brand-I had problems with the other) if you are on a generic you might try switching brands if you can it might make a diffrerence. Or ask to be on Brand Name only to see if that makes a difference. Anyway it can't hurt to ask the pharmacist or chemist if you have that option. It might make a difference it made a difference in my case.

Tina

Well an Epiliptologist said it doesn't go away yet people who take topamax claim it does, also other epiliptologist said he can't really recommend a solution to such a problem.

Currently I'm on the brand, I don't really see how taking the generic can make a difference since usually side effects such as these are because of the active ingridients not the inactive ones and side effects occur when switching brands from one to another.

Anyway I was hoping someone could shed some light on these side effects from personal experience.

tnx anyway.

p.s=Right now I'm on keppra depakote er but the depakote doesn't help at all except make me tired but in two months I'll see the neurologist and will ask him to put me back on topamax with hope that I'll have answer than in regards to these two side effects.

you may not want the frequent urination to stop. I know that sounds weird, but the frequent urination made up for the fact that I wasn't sweating when I was on topamax. If both slow, you could get sick. If you sweating normally, then i do hope it stops, it can get quite annoying.

Ah.... did not realize you were on brand name. Well stick it out a little longer maybe you are just eliminating some toxins? I do seem to remember I was going quite a bit when I first went on it but it went away after a while. I think I started doing more kegel exercises after that to see if that would help... if nothing else I did get a stronger pelvic floor out of the whole experience hehehe.

Tina

One side effect of Topomax is kidney stones....so, keep an eye on that.

I don't remember our son having frequent urination when on Topomax (he was on it from age 2 to age 6). He achieved potty training during that time, so if he did have it initially, it must have gone away. We DID see frequent urination when he was weaned off Topomax and put on Trileptal.

Back
Top Bottom