Topomax and double vision

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

patek8ks

New
Reaction score
About 6wks ago my neurologist upped my Topomax dose to 400mg -200mg in the morning 200mg in the evening..this morning for the VERY first time I experienced very bad double vision... it was so bad I went and laid down for an hour after that I woke up and was fine except I now have a bad headache...this scared the hell out of me! Like I said never experienced THIS before I do at night and the morning experience "tracers" I like to call em with my vision whenever I move or anything moves...this has been since my increase of the dosage and I can cope with that NOT double vision! Is this a common side effect of high dose of Topomax?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

patek8ks

To me it sounds like you need to talk to your doctor and tell him what is happening to you. Double vision is not nice and is something you need to get cheeked.

I will definitely! He is out of the office for holiday but next week he will be in..he will definitely be getting a call =0) I just HOPE it doesn't happen again... was not a pleasant experience.

patek8ks

After 6 weeks things should for a few of us be settling down so make sure you tell the doctor.

Yes vision changes can be a side effect of Topamax. If you have double vision and other things like difficulty with peripheral vision, a feeling of pain behind the eyes or eye pressure, you would want to see an eye doctor. Topamax can cause narrow angle glaucoma--I am not saying that is what is happening with you--but it is a potentially serious side effect of Topamax and vision changes should be looked into, especially if accompanied by eye pain or if the changes are severe. If this is the case then you should not wait to be seen. I will also share that I had very bad 'tracers' or visual trails, and images that would be retained upon images first thing in the morning when I was on a higher dose of Topamax sometimes--this was a migraine aura, and it would go away and be followed by other 'silent migraine' symptoms. Sounds like you may have had a migraine. I understand that Topamax is a migraine drug but I have zero doubt that Topamax caused a huge increase in these migraines for me, and making the visual aura so bizarre was a part of it. I still get the tracers on occasion but very mildly. I went way down on Topamax and started taking magnesium and I don't get migraines anymore. In short--I would talk to your doctor, but if your visual problem is accompanied by any eye pain or loss of peripheral vision I would not wait to talk to your neuro and would see an eye doctor.

Last edited:
Luckily I have no eye pain but there is definitely a change in my vision and this morning was a first for the double vision. Come Monday morning I am going to make a call to my neurologist and let him know what has been going on with my vision.

Topamax and double vision I never got. I've been taking Topamax since 2004. I've gone toxic on Topamax and my neuro had to cut back my dose...

Sorry to hear that you are having problems...I am on that dosage as well...I have been on Topamax since 2002...occasional headache here and there...but no vision problems...maybe they can increase your dosage much slower if it was too much of a jump for you...you didn't say what your old dosage was before the 400 mg..if you were increased more than 100 mg a day, that may be too much of an increase at once etc....

I was on 300mg before he increased it to 400mg as I was still having breakthrough seizures... so far it hasn't happened again which is a good thing just a little concerned that it may happen again as I have recently read that Topomax can cause this to happen..I do not want to change meds as I've tried almost every AED out there with horrible side effects Topomax is the only one I have the least side effects from.

I did well on just Topamax for about 11 years...but then after the maximum dosage..had to add on Vimpat for my partial complex ones at night...I know what you are saying about having least side effects from it...I would have to agree..I really can't pin down one certain issue I've had with that medicine except the whole thought process delay thing...but that's about it...

I have that issue with it as well especially when it comes to trying to explaining things to people I hate it....I stop and have to regather my thoughts..gets cumbersome at times but I've had such bad side effects to Keppra neurontin Dilantin Trileptal (there's another I can see the med can't remember the name began with a C but the Brand name began with a T ugh topomax lol) all made me act like I was drunk couldn't walk and slurred words horribly..Depakote and Vimpat put me in such deep depressions I wouldn't even get out of bed mind you though these were all added in addition to my Topomax so I'm not quite sure how I would react if I took them alone..

I take Depakote, Tegretol, Keppra and Lamictal. About a year ago I started having double vision. At first it would only happen once a month but now it's happening more often. Sometimes it's not that bad and other times it is.

I had it during a visit with my neuro about 6 months ago. I couldn't walk very good at all. He said that it if it starts to get worse then he'd do something. It has gotten worse, happening more often and lasting longer. He lowered the dosage on my Depakote and I don't know if that might have something to do with it or not? A few weeks ago it was so bad that I was almost throwing up. I see him again in a few weeks so I'm going to let him know. If it gets that bad again I'm going to call him.

I find that if I stare at one thing and don't look at anything else it seems to help it go away. I've tried falling asleep or just closing my eyes doesn't help at all.

Back
Top Bottom