[Ketogenic] Treating seizures in ICU w/ Ketogenic Diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KarenB

New
Reaction score
This past couple weeks have been our check-ups w/ Neurologist & Dietician. When I asked our dietician about her case-load (of patients on the Ketogenic diet) she said she had 22 children, and was in the process of treating 2 adult patients in ICU, which is a new type of treatment at the U of Rochester Medical Center (brought over by a neurologist who had been successfully using it in Baltimore).

1) Patient #1 was admitted to ICU in status epilepticus; put into an induced coma, then given Ketogenic diet (formula via stomach tube) before being brought out of coma. Seizures stopped completely.

2) Patient #2 was in hospital for surgery to remove brain tumor. After surgery, the patient began experiencing seizures; treatment with Ketogenic diet resolved the seizures.

Pretty amazing, I thought!:rock:

It is amazing. Isn't the diet mostly for kids and high in fat/low in carbs? And they are basically fasting, therefore creating ketones. For someone like me who also has diabetes, that would disastrous!

But great for those who can use it!

The diet was developed for kids by Johns Hopkins and Mayo because kids can better tolerate the high fat/low carb regime. However, in recent years, a number of adults are being successfully treated with the Modified Atkins diet.

Sadly, Cint, it probably isn't an option for you, with diabetes -- although that might be a good question for your endocrinologist and neurologist.

I'm not sure what the long term plans are for the 2 patients I mentioned above - -if the Keto diet was just being used for "rescue" -- or if the plan was for them to continue when they are released.

Back
Top Bottom