Trileptal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

walkerjm3

New
Reaction score
I saw my neurologist on Wednesday. He is switching my medication from Keppra 1000 MG twice daily to eventually 450 MG Trileptal twice daily. So for a week I'm supposed to be taking 1000 MG of Keppra bid and 150 MG Trileptal bid. I picked up the new prescription yesterday since they had to order it. I took both last night before bed. I woke up about 2:30 this morning with horrible pains in my abdomen. I finally ended up vomiting quite a bit then layer back down til I fell asleep.
I've never had to take more than one medication for something like this at a time. Should I not be taking them together, like take them a couple hours apart from each other? I read the medication information given with the Trileptal and it read that vomiting is a side effect. I really hope this isn't going to keep happening. I have two jobs that I can't afford to not go to. Plus I have to pay $45 each prescription that I don't have money for.

Normally the doc will taper you off one of the meds, while upping the other medication when one switches, at least for me. I think it would be a good idea to move the intake time of the meds to different time periods, if that helps the vomiting situation. More things you need to keep track of during the day, but hopefully you will taper off Keppra.

I was on Keppra, then on Dilantin, then lamotrigine, now i'm on Gabapentin, which to me i have no side effect or at least none that i've found intolerable. I know some of the woman on here have gained weight with it, but i've managed to lose weight.

I take my meds 3 x during the day, and since Gabapentin works for 6hrs., by the morning i don't have any meds in me. Well i normally don't take my meds for 1 hr after i'm awake, and with Gabapentin, 22 of my last 24 seizures have been in the mornings, in the safety of my home. So for that i think it's a great med.

But like with all things, not everyone will react the same way. But i'm happy for that i have some control over my seizures thanks to Gabapentin.

:piano: :pop:

Give your neurologist a call to let him know about the vomiting, and ask about shifting the times that you take the meds. I hope that particular side effect goes away, but if it doesn't, or if it gets worse, then you may have to try something else.

I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra + 250 mgs of Topamax and a small amount of Potiga and so far no illness. But once I was taking the Keppra along with 400 mgs. of Trileptal and didn't suffer any vomiting. Trileptal was one med that made me feel really good. But I had to be taken off the Trileptal because of the low sodium. Sure wish one med would control my seizures.

Has your neuro done any blood tests?

I've been taking trileptal for about 7 months now. Ist 150mg to 300mg 2x's a day, then back down to 150 and then back up to 300mg 2x's day. I got a call from my doc yesterday asking me to up the trileptal to 450 mg 2'xs a day. She said my ? numbers were to low maybe thats why I've been having little episodes. I haven't had any major side effects from the trileptal really. I do occassionally get stomach aches but thought it was from not eating when I take the morning dose? The only problem I have with trileptal is that it makes me sleepy. I agree with the others, call your doctor especially if you are vomiting. Pending how soon after you take it and vomit, you may not get enough of the medicine absorbed. Best wishes!

Thank you, everybody. I believe the vomiting was due to a stomach virus. I also had some loose stools over the weekend but seem to be OK now. Now to just remember to take my medications. I really need to get around to setting alarms on my phone for that.

I really need to get around to setting alarms on my phone for that.

I'm happy to hear that it wasn't the med. Sorry to hear that it was a virus. Happy to hear that its over and Glad to hear that you will set your alarms on your phone to remember to take your meds! Good, very Good! I should try that as well. I don't have a problem with morning meds, it's the evening meds that I tend to always forget.

I'm more likely to forget the morning since all the other medications I'm on I take at night before bed. I'll admit that I missed my morning doses Monday and Tuesday and have now just taken them for this morning about 5 minutes ago.

Back
Top Bottom