Trileptal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Just curious ,
has anyone used Trileptal? If so, How is it for you? My doctor has changed me, because my Dilantin levels were too low, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how it does for them. Thank you guys.:):):):bigsmile:

my daughter has been taking trileptal for 5-6 years (900mg 2X a day). It gets into your system pretty quickly and clears fairly quickly. She does pretty well on it. It's considered a first line AED---or a primary AED. You may get tired/drowsy from it at first. Oh my daughter took Lamictal with it as well for a while but in some people the two drugs interact causing an overdose so we had to take her off the Lamictal. That's just an FYI.

For me I'd be afrain of Dilantin because of the dental probs it can cause. My daughter is NOT good at a dentist. So scary for me. Also dialantin can cause osteoporis.

I was taking Trileptal several years ago, along with Keppra, but I had to be taken off it because my sodium level was always too low while on Trileptal, so I was put back on Topamax, a low dose. I was on Dilantin years ago and had some problems with my gums while taking that med.

Cindy

My son was on Trileptal, did not work well for us. It metablized in his system too fast, so his SZ would come at 10 - 11 in the morning and 6-7 at night.

Everyone is different, be safe

Here is a good site to see some other reactions to the med:

www.askapatient.com

This was my daughters 4th and last med. It caused fever and sores in her throat.

They were going to put me on BOTH. Phenytoin and Trileptal, and my mom FINALLY got the doctor to listen about my bad effects, so they are just doing the Trileptal.
So, NO more Dilantin/ Phenytoin. Maybe the other will work better anyway. :)

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your help. SO, I will need to watch my sodium levels? I don't really know how to do that,lol. Whew, I just hope that I dont have an effect from dropping the Phenytoin. Im scared I may have one due to the change. :bigmouth:lol

Hi Kristina -- I take two 300 mg each morning and two each evening for a total of 1200 mg Ttileptal each day. (along with 300 mg Topamag) I do just fine and have no terrible side effects (well, 'something' is causing terrible diarrhea ??)
I've been taking those for a LONG time.

Back
Top Bottom