trying road trip (first since diagnosed)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rhea

New
Reaction score
Hi all! Went to Alabama to see my son this last week. A friend drove me down, about a 14 hour trip. Did well on the way down, hit a stress over hotel reservations (wrong hotel, cc declined) not much sleep the night before. BOOM! right there in hotel lobby, went "out of it". Knew it was going to happen, sat myself down out of the way, and let it go. Rough the rest of the evening. Anyway, the trip was wonderful, saw my son, non-eventful the rest of the trip. Just a few absence, some partial, no big deal. Did better than I thought I would, actually.
My son is in the Army. He should be coming home in a couple weeks. He is 19. I will be depending on him a lot when he comes home. He has matured and found he is capable of things he never thought he could handle. (War does that, ya know?) After all he's been through, I feel bad about having to lean on him so much when he gets home. I know he will help me a lot- driving, looking out for me, a lot of things that fluster me. My question is- I feel bad about having him "take care of me" He shouldn't be stuck with this, but there's not much choice. Does anyone else have to rely on their kids so much? and how does it affect them? and the kids?

We have the opposite dependency. My 17 yr old relys on her parents. However, we are teaching her ways to manage her life on her own.

Tell your son thank you for his service. I have a son training at this time to be a Marine.
Very proud of our boys. Your son will most likely be quite honored to take care of his mama.

Boy, I can definitely relate...I feel so bad about my son having to do so much to take care of me. Back in 2006, my oldest son was living with me and finishing last year of college. I had a very bad accident (before I got E) and he had to do everything while I was going thru series of surgeries, etc. Last year, I thought everything was settling down and then I started having seizures. He is 25 years old. I have another son that is 22 (that doesn't live with us) and I see all my younger son gets to do in his life while his older brother is saddled with me...he has told me that he will continue to live with me as he would not feel good about me living on my own. I told him I feel terrible about this, but he told me that I would rather live with me and assist me than to not have me around. I am sure your son would feel the same.
Guilt seems to come with being a mom.

Back
Top Bottom