tuberous sclerosis and nocturnal seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

debhalasz

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently joined the boards because I have a nagging question. I was diagnosed with tuberous sclerosis four years ago. I have two benign tubers in my temporal lobe.

I have had complex partial seizures in the past. My last awake one was in 2011. I'm not sure if anyone can relate, but my seizures tend to look like strokes. My first seizure left me with right-sided weakness, and I needed physical rehab to regain my ability to walk. My third seizure took away my ability to speak and walk. I still use a cane, but my speech has returned. I do have absence seizures about once or twice a week.... but now I wonder if I'm having nocturnal seizures.

I tend to have dreams where I'm trying to walk around with friends but I keep falling down, and all I can do is move on the ground with my hands and knees. I can't seem to get up to walk again, or if I do, I fall down again. When I have these dreams, I wake up extremely drowsy with a headache. And I wake up with jerk and a huge breath - the same way I come out of an absence seizure.

The last time this happened was after a bit of sleep deprivation. I stayed up till around 3am but then slept till almost 1pm. My husband woke me up, and we started talking, but I felt myself fading away, like it was getting darker and darker, and I could barely see my husband. I started calling out his name, but I couldn't hear a response. He said it lasted about 10-15 seconds with him calling my name and tapping me on the shoulder. After, he asked me if I wanted some water and he brought me a coffee mug with water in it. I took one sip, and then the mug fell out of my hands, and I passed out. This is the first time that our ceiling fan bothered me with its spinning around and around. I felt incredibly groggy the rest of the day - but because there were no changes in my physical or motor skills, I didn't go to the hospital. I simply reported it to my doctor, and I'll let my neuro know when I see him next month.

My question, though, is are repetitive dreams associated with seizures? I do have other repetitive dreams that aren't associated with me constantly falling down, but I don't wake up with a head ache or feel overly tired after them.

I'd appreciate any input from anyone who has experienced this and/or discussed this with their doctor.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have confirmed nocturnal seizures (largely the only time I have seizures is at night). I also used to have dreams where sometimes I was having a seizure or other times where my hands and legs were caught up in something and I was jerking and pulling hard to get them untrapped. Often I would wake up feeling like I do following a seizure, but sometimes I would wake up feeling fine.
Opinions seem to vary: one doctor said the dreams were likely due to anxiety about having a seizure, but another said that if I woke up feeling worn out like I do after a seizure then likely it was a seizure.

I also have nocturnal seizures and last night in my dream I felt as if I was falling and getting distant, then I woke and had a seizure. This is actually this first time a dream had interacted with a seizure, for me. I was confused at first and didn't know this could happen. Hope your visit with your neurologist goes well and that you find some answers :)

Hugs,
Janellie :)

Back
Top Bottom