Uggg switching to depakote help!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sheripark

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am switching to depakote on tuesday from topamax. Anyone on depakote? I was curious about the weight gain? I know it sounds vain but I am super stressed and depressed with all this epilepsy. I actually like the way I look and work hard at staying in shape. Yes I am "one of those" a skinny one. Please don't judge because I cried enough today. Seems my doc is focused more on my weight than on the fact that I have 24 hour a day auras. Yes! I am crawling out of my skin. I at least want to stay skinny.

Sheri

I was on depakene for years with Mysoline & Dilantin at the same time.

I was so skinny back then that some people actually thought I was doing hard drugs. I always thought it was just my metabolism & had nothing to do with the meds but they definitely didn't put any weight on me.

Sheri,

I've been on Depakote for 2 1/2 years. I started on 1000 mg. ER but have been gradually decreasing it and am now down to 500 mg. ER because I haven't had a single seizure in that time. It's worked well for me and I haven't gained any weight at all either.

hello everyone,
I have heard of those who do not gain weight on Depakote. I did. Sheripark,I was also a very small person. I had a seizure and they wanted to switch my medicine to Depakote. When I heard of the weight gain I was skeptical, then 5 days later another seizure. No choice. The switch was made.I to cried.Then I realized I may have gained weight but I have been controlled for 18 years. Working in the medical profession I see people suffering so much more. I do not want to minimize what we go through, but there are those with no hope.Keep working out and just watch what you eat. Your health is worth it. Just wait and see what happens.

Hey there,
I started on Depakote back when I was 17 yrs old and was on 1000 mg daily. I too was a size 9 just getting out of high school. Over their years it progressively got to where I was up to taking 3000 mg daily. After two children, and extra other add on meds I gained weight. I was able to have that gastric bypass surgery which helped me, but I am still taking 2000 mg of Depakote ER daily along with Zonegran. I myself have no "auras" before a Grand-mal and mine are continually traveling across my brain 24/7 so it's just something that I have to deal with I suppose.
As far as the Depakote, be aware of the side effects. I have really bad osteoporosis at age 48 , thinning hair & tremors of my hands and arms.
Good luck to you.
Terri

Back
Top Bottom