Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Inaara

New
Reaction score
Ok, so this is a new one for me. This afternoon my brother and sister in law dragged me out for a day of shopping and most of the day went all right (meaning that at no point during the day did either of them have to snag the back of my my shirt and go "this way" because I started wandering off aimlessly into traffic or something - which I've done before). Then we went to dinner and I really wished I had stayed home.
In the middle of a conversation about something, camera flashes started going off. At first, they were annoying and I started getting really irritated - like, beyond what would be my normal reaction to obnoxious people. After a few minutes of what felt like a techno concert (there were really that many camera flashes going off in the restaurant), my brother says I just "checked out" for about a minute. Next thing I know, I'm looking at my sister in law going "huh?" because she's asking me if I'm ok and saying something about the camera flashes really getting to me...which they must have because nothing on the menu made sense for a few seconds and when it finally did, the thought of food was really, REALLY not very interesting at all. (But hey, at least I was a cheap "date" for the evening!) And now my head hurts.

Anyway, has anyone ever had this happen, where a whole bunch of camera flashes for over a minute or two messed with you?

I"ve never been photosensitive but when I was on Keppra & at my brothers wedding there were constant flashes going off from cameras. I was able to predict it'd trigger a sz but nothing I could do about it. I wasn't able to talk after-my brother said I was babbling so I found an empty room in the building we'd rented & took a 40 minute nap. I was still out of it but the nap helped.

Since then I haven't felt any photosensitivity but I do get sort of hypnotized by my PC monitor every now & then. Of course I haven't been around that many flashing lights since the wedding almost 2 years ago

Flash cameras, or other lights with a strobing effect can trigger seizures. Like Eric I'm not particularly photosensitive, but in the past I've gotten a migraine from a bright flash of light.

Camera flashes give me hgue headaches. I used to model, so most of the times, they didnt need to use a flash because they use good lighting. but when they did use a flash it sucked. I found it wasnt so much the flash that hurt my head, but afterwards when you get those blue and pink and yellow splotches in your vision and each time you blink they change colours and if you blink lots like me it becomes a strobe inside your head. blech.

I am photosensitive and have a big problem with camera flashes...that's why I am the one that only takes photos for others

I do not like the flashes! Somedays are better than others but I definatley avoid repeated camera flashes when I can.

THanks. It just kinda freaked me out a little because I've never had anything like that happen before and it was like "whoa...what the heck?!"

I have a big problem with camera flashes too. I hate getting my picture taken..

It seems like these flashes are everywhere, especially on TV. And in sports. NHL hockey games are really bad for that. We have an AHL team here and I can't go to the games anymore because of all the flashes and strobe lights they use. I had a SP the last time I was there and had to leave before the game even started.

Also in Winnipeg... the school buses have strobe lights on them. So whenever I am going anywhere I have to close my eyes instantly. I'm so used to it that I do it even when I see a school bus on TV.

Hey chris.
Same with the snow plows. the flashing spinning lights. Blue red and yellow. so hard on the eyes, even for people without E.

I am looking into my insurance and it seem slike they will cover most of the cost to have windows professionally tinted for people with photosentivity. I'm not sure if that means with seizures or if it means with someone who cannot be in sunlight. So i gotta double check, but that will be something we will look into. Limo tint on all the windows, and 30% tint on the windsheild

Any sort of flashing light can trigger a seizure in me. I learned the hard way, when I watched the movie, "Flashdance", nearly 40 yrs. ago!

when my topamax prescription lapsed for a few day and I went back on it, I had a nasty startle reaction to any flash, it was like getting shocked with a cattle prod, only lasted a few days though till my body got use to the topamax again.

I cannot relate to the camera flashes but I can relate to the wondering off into traffic thing. I have tried to do that one before in front of my husband (thank the lord it was in front of someone. I could have been killed!). I tend to wonder off with my seizures sometimes and at times run off. I don't have any place in particular I am going I am just going until a tonic clonic stops me dead in tracks.

tam bam

Lights don't trigger anything for me but I have always been irritated by light (except for daylight). To many camera's going of at once and I just walk out of the room.

I used to be "semi-photic" but not anymore, I am
photic now. A single flash doesn't bother me, but
those synchronization flashes will trip me off, just
like strobes, specific halogen lamps, florescent lights,
and some other things such as those stupid flashing
LEDS lights on back of utility vehicles, the new
emergency lights on emergency vehicles, to name a
few - which differs from the old ones.

Depends on what it is - it can ranged from being totally
annoying to pure obnoxious! It can trip me off for a
few seconds of "being blank" or lapse me off to E-land
entirely.

Many of my EEG's - Electroencephalograms - were
performed "without light activating" for obvious reasons.

:?

Hi
Interesting stuff Thanks. I never thought I was photo sensitive .
My brain has changed a lot over 15 or more years and I have learned more.
For the past few yrs. I am sensitive to the old style florescent s like there are in older stores and by the time I am ready to leave I am in what can be described as a panic attack .
I "feel" it is a partial sz. very frustrating .
My daughter did a school report on E a few yrs ago and since then she is protective of me around flashes and lights and such lol it is kind of cute but well meaning ..
I did not pay attention to this as much until I was having a eeg test and during the flash test I spontaneously broke in to tears just big non stop tears and then they could not get me to stop :ponder:
After that day I am light sensitive ? I guess lol or at least I,m noticing it more .
I just found this site ? I will continue reading thanx. Rick

Rick, it appears as though you are photosensitive. Do you know if the EEG revealed any sz. activity? I know I must pay attention to certain types of lighting, otherwise I'll wind up having a sz.

Hi
Still figuring this site out and in a bad "postical" .
Yes it showed a "mild" spike for that period but that was it? lol.
I have olny shown szs once during any testing and they induced that one (those) and they always say it was major.
But that is it. I know years ago I olny showed a very small spot on my left lobe and that was it?
I am "disabled" from this and was without question so I always read folks stories and wonder just how "messed" up I am ? lol.
I just did a little test by using a patch and focusing on the tv for a min and I get a rise in my body temp doing that? lol weird. Thx Rick

camera flashes repeatedly will bother me. especially if more than one is going off at a time. but i think i only check out for a second or 2? possibly more since no ones ever been watching me enough to ask if im ok. same with certain loud noises and strobes.

I don't have seizures and bright lights bother me. I hate strobe lights.
Sunshine can give me a headache real quick, especially if I step out of a darker building.

Here's some polls that will be of
assistance and reading other people's posts
would also be of benefit as well:

Are You Photosensitive?

Below has information on the first page that you
may find helpful:

Do you experience Aura / Auras?

As of note - the new Digital Cameras seems to have an
effect / impact upon others whether or not they have
Epilepsy - especially if it is a "Slow Synchronized" Flash"
as well as a room full of people firing off cameras in the
dark can have the same influence as well. Normal people
often complain of mild to minor headaches that typically
goes away shortly afterward or after taking Aspirin or
Tylenol.

So what exactly is the Slow Synchronized Flash anyway?
It is to reduce the "Red Eye" effect on photos and eye
blinks - is the whole meaning and purpose for that typical
flash.

So is this good or bad - it all depends on whom you're
asking that question to ... personally to professional
photogs and shutter bugs - "it's good", but to the other
end - it's "^^@%@$^%@#!!!!!!!!"

:?

Back
Top Bottom