Unending muscle soreness

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Saranoya

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted here not too long ago, asking "how to live with frequent tonic-clonic seizures". I realize now that it was much too general a question to be answered with concrete, immediately applicable advice.

Some helpful suggestions were made, however. When I came here the first time (about a year ago), Nakamova pointed me to the Atkins diet for absence seizures. At the time, my neurologist told me not to bother with that because it was "too hard to stick with" and "not proven to be effective in adults". He first wanted to try adjusting my medication again. Which he did, twice. And when my seizures got worse instead of better, he put on the list for a VNS implant, which turned out not to be an option for me (or so said the surgeon in charge of the program).

Now I have been on the Atkins diet for nearly a month, and I am somewhat hopeful. Today is April 24, and I've had less than twenty t/c's so far, this month. At this point last month, I'd had close to fifty of them. That's a reduction of over 50%, which I suppose should be considered an unqualified success.

But 18 t/c's in three weeks is still a *lot* ... even when they usually come in clusters (so I do have seizure-free days, sometimes even seizure-free clusters of days).

Regardless, I'm left with the fact that my muscles basically never fully recover. I feel sore and tired all the time, and at this point, it's really interfering with everything I want to do. My productivity at work is going down the drain, even on the seizure-free days; I have to skip scouting activities because I don't have the energy to chase after adventurous ten-year-olds (and because no parent wants to leave their child with someone who might keel over at any time); I still play the piano every day, but I feel like the brain fog rarely lifts anymore, so I end up playing the pieces I already know instead of practicing new stuff ... which leaves me feeling inadequate, and disappoints my teacher. And then there's the fact that, every time I do have a seizure while out and about, it takes ages (as in, multiple hours) for me to recover enough to go home on my own.

I don't suppose anyone has found any magical supplements, or anything else, to deal with this kind of problem?

Now I have been on the Atkins diet for nearly a month, and I am somewhat hopeful. Today is April 24, and I've had less than twenty t/c's so far, this month. At this point last month, I'd had close to fifty of them. That's a reduction of over 50%, which I suppose should be considered an unqualified success.
I'm thrilled to hear this. Your neurologist was wrong -- there are several studies showing the MAD can reduce seizures in adults -- and I'm especially glad to hear that it's made a difference for you. Here's hoping that over the next few months you see even more reductions in seizures.

For the muscle soreness, I assume you've tried all the regular things -- ice/heat, ibuprofen, etc. You might try seeing a physical therapist and having ultrasound done. When my back was incredibly sore from seizures, that was one of the few things that made it feel better right away. Here's some basic info: http://backandneck.about.com/od/painmanagement/g/Ultrasound-Back-Relief.htm You might even be able to use a portable ultrasound at home: http://www.ehow.com/way_5311621_buy-ultrasound-pain-therapy-system.html

As for the brain fog -- are you still on meds? They may be contributing. Supplements that may help: fish oil/omega3s, B vitamins, magnesium. If caffeine is a seizure trigger for you, avoid it, but if it isn't consider having some green tea in the morning.

I hope you feel better/clearer soon.

Have you seen a different neurologist or an epileptologist (a dr. specializing in epilepsy)? Having 18 TC's in three weeks is a LOT, so you need to find some relief before you're seriously injured because of one. Do you have only TC's? Or do they start as CP's? I ask because I have the VNS and have experienced CP's that may or may not go into a generalized TC. I can stop (usually) the seizure from fully developing into a TC with the magnet for the VNS.

Or has the neuro mentioned possible surgery? This is usually a last resort for refractory epilepsy as is the VNS.

Helpful websites:
http://us.cyberonics.com/en/vns-the...identifying-patients-with-refractory-epilepsy

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/vns

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/surgery

Hi Cint,

I have been evaluated multiple times for surgery, but the conclusion was always the same: there is no clear focal point for my seizures. This makes me a bad candidate for most surgical procedures.

They do seem to always originate in the right hemisphere of my brain, which means functional hemispherectomy might be an option. But that would almost certainly leave me a left hemiplegic (or so I've been told), and I already have spastic diplegia from birth, plus a permanently-bent right knee (from a bad fracture I sustained in an epilepsy-related fall three years ago). I am currently able to walk with crutches, but if I lose function in one of my arms, those days are over.

I draw the line at anything that might make me more disabled than I already am. Which excludes almost everything. And yes, I know that's a choice I'm making for myself, so I shouldn't complain about the consequences of that choice. Which I try not to do. I'm just looking for ways to maybe, just maybe, make those consequences a little easier to live with.

ETA: I have absence seizures and tonic-clonics, but no simple or complex partials.

Last edited:
I draw the line at anything that might make me more disabled than I already am. Which excludes almost everything. And yes, I know that's a choice I'm making for myself, so I shouldn't complain about the consequences of that choice. Which I try not to do. I'm just looking for ways to maybe, just maybe, make those consequences a little easier to live with.

ETA: I have absence seizures and tonic-clonics, but no auras that I've been able to identify, an no complex partials.

I wouldn't say your complaining. Sounds like you've been down a very rough road and I wish I had an answer for you to help make life a bit easier.

In some ways a seizure affects the muscles in the same way as an intense work out would, and I have found some benefit from stretching. Muscles and joints that are supple and limber may better tolerate the intensity of a seizure. Maybe it's worth a shot.

Hi Masterjen,

Good idea, except, I'm a spastic (genuinely so ;)). Which means that, by definition, my muscles won't fully extend to be stretched if I'm consciously trying to stretch them myself. Stretching only works for me if there's another person in the room putting some serious (and the right kind of) force behind it.

I already go to PT every weekday morning before work. This is something I have to do if I don't want to lose the ability to crutch-walk. The stretching is a necessary, but somewhat uncomfortable part of that, and this many seizures are only making it more uncomfortable (and physically harder to pull off).

Which is why I asked about supplements and similar stuff. Though I know there is never a magic bullet, the MAD is showing me that what I eat can make a noticeable difference. If a diet change can really help diminish the number of seizures I have, then maybe it could also have positive effects in other areas.

Thanks for helping me think this through, though!

This is what I use Source Naturals Gamma Oryzanol -- 30 mg it helps speed up the healing in the muscles and tendons.

Back
Top Bottom