Update

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CQ:)

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I don't get time to come on here as much as I used to & when I do it's usually only for a quick look so haven't really posted much lately.

Everything is going well for me. I've been in my job 12 months now & it's still going great. I love working there & my coworkers are really happy with how I'm going :).

I have an appt with my neurologist at the epilepsy clinic on Monday 8th September. The last time I saw my neurologist was in March & we discussed the funny feelings I was having (my head felt strange & I'd hear a strange noise). My neurologist wanted to monitor the funny feelings as he wasn't 100% if they were simple partials. We discussed meds & agreed to try me back on a low dose of Tegretol (I'm still on the same dose of Keppra).
I still have the funny feelings but they aren't as often or as strong as they were before we added the Tegretol again.

I am having a week of work starting 8th September.
On the Tuesday my Dad & I are going away for a couple of days to see my Nanna. My Nanna knows my Dad is coming to see her but thinks he is going on his own (Mum has to stay home to look after the animals) so it will be a surprise for my Nanna when she sees me aswell.
I haven't seen my Nanna for 4 years so looking forward to seeing her :).

I will try to post an update on how my neuro appt goes when I have a chance.

Last edited:
Hi CQ,

Glad to hear things are going well for you. I hope those "funny feelings" subside and your dr. will adjust your meds if need be.

Have a wonderful time at your Nana's.

I am glad to hear things are going good with the job for you, it is going to be one nice surprise for your grandmother when she sees you. It will be worth it, let us know how the appointment goes with your neurologist and the funny feelings. You have a good time on the journey.

Hi CQ,

Glad to hear things are going well for you. I hope those "funny feelings" subside and your dr. will adjust your meds if need be.

Have a wonderful time at your Nana's.
Thanks Cint,

I am learning to deal with these funny feelings & try to accept them as a nuisance in my life. I am also grateful that they are very minor compared to the seizures I had pre surgery & what a lot of you guys go through.

I was talking to my neuropsych a couple of months ago after some stuff was stressing me out. I mentioned to her that I noticed these funny feelings tend to happen more later in the afternoon or at night so tiredness could be a trigger. She said that the neurologist may look at my medication regime, I told her I would prefer he didn't increase my meds. She said he probably won't increase the dosage but more look at what times I take the meds.

I am glad to hear things are going good with the job for you, it is going to be one nice surprise for your grandmother when she sees you. It will be worth it, let us know how the appointment goes with your neurologist and the funny feelings. You have a good time on the journey.

Thanks Liam,

The job is going great, I've slowly been trained to help the other guys in the office with their work so I do a bit of everything & not just general reception. I did start out as a receptionist but now they call me an office administrator because do a bit of everything.

Also I get along great with pretty much everyone, although I don't have much time for one of the sales guys who only started in April. This guy is not only arrogant but has a huge ego, I often get the feeling that he looks down on me like hes better then me just because I'm reception. My co workers told me not to put up with it & not let him make me feel like he's better then me. I have already hurt his ego once so I worked out the best way to work with him is to be polite to him & slowly deflate his huge ego lol.
I know there is always going to be one person who is a nuisance so 1 person who I do not like out of a large group isn't too bad :pfft:

I'm looking forward to seeing my Nan again, I said to my parents what we should do is go to the nursing home my Nan is at have my Dad go in & say hello to her (its his mum) then go in & say hi lol.

My Dad & I will be back on the Thursday afternoon & then i have an appt on the Friday so may not get chance to post how I went at the clinic until the weekend after lol.

That is good news and like you said there will always be 1 but do like you were told do not let him away with it or he will think he can walk all over you.

That is good news and like you said there will always be 1 but do like you were told do not let him away with it or he will think he can walk all over you.
When this sales guy 1st started he was treating me like his personal secretary asking me to pass messages to other people in the office & copying stuff for him. The sales people spend most of the time in the display homes but they are quite capable to email anyone in the office themselves.
I put up with it but in the end I sent this particular sales guy an email telling him my role was to do general reception duties & help the people in the office with their stuff (mainly the office manager & finance ladies) so any work the sales people had for me to do would be done only after I got my other work done unless it was urgent. He seemed to get the message that i wasn't stopping my work to do his stuff & now doesn't ask me to do much lol.

When he is at the office he does walk around like everything revolves around him & his work comes 1st but no one else in the office will put up with it lol.

The way we work at my work is everyone is equal, no one (apart from the sales person) thinks they're better then anyone else. Even the managers are down to earth & not up themselves lol.

I went to the epilepsy clinic on Monday, my regular neurologist who I usually see at the clinic had to cancel his appts for that day which was sudden so my neuropsych arranged for me to see another neurologist.

Since my last visit to the clinic back in March the funny feelings have reduced & aren't as strong as they were but I'm still having at less 1 a month & I have been writing more gibberish either while I hear the strange noise or just after the noise had finished. When I saw the neurologist on Monday we discussed these funny feelings & he was interested in the ones where I wrote gibberish.

I had said to the neurologist that I thought these funny feelings could be seizure related. He agreed & said he is sure they are seizure related & believes they are auras. I had told him how I tend to have these funny feelings more at night. I mentioned to him how sometimes I wake up with a headache so wondered if something was happening in my sleep as I know I'm a restless sleeper any way (I toss & turn alot). He said it is hard to know for sure but it could be quite possible that I am having funny feelings in my sleep.

He has increased my Tegretol again but only my PM dose, he has kept my AM dose of Tegretol & the Keppra the same. He is hoping the change in the meds will help reduce the funny feelings & maybe even stop them.
I have to go back to the clinic in 6 months time to see my regular neurologist for another follow up.

While I was at the clinic I caught up with my epilepsy nurse & neuropsych who were both happy with how I am going. My neuropsych told me this is the happiest she has seen me & she could see from the emails I send how happy I am at work & how happy my employers/co workers are with me.

I am not to concerned that these funny feelings are auras as I had thought for a while they were seizure related & I'm actually relieved to finally know what they are.

Last edited:
On Tuesday my Dad & I went up to see my Nanna (his Mum) & we got back this afternoon (Thursday). My Nanna thought my Dad was going to be coming up on his own & had no idea that I was going with him. When my Dad & I turned up at the nursing home where my Nanna lives on Tuesday afternoon she got a nice surprise.

After we got there on Tuesday she said to us how she was only thinking the other day how it was going to be nice to see my Dad but it would've been lovely if I was able to get up to see her aswell. She knows how hard it is for me to get up to see her now I'm working & before I started working I would look after my parents animals when they went to see her (Dad tries to see her at less once or twice a year).

The few days we did spend with my Nan were special for me because I am very close to her & it had been 4 years since I saw her. When we saw her she said to me a few times how lovely it is to see me :).

Great to hear that things are going so well CQ. I hope the boosted evening Tegretol does the trick and banishes the auras...

Hi all,

A quick update on how things are going since my PM Tegretol was increased last month.

I am still having funny feelings but I am going longer between them, I had a couple last month which were only small. I also had 1 last Wednesday night which was witnessed by someone. This was the 1st time I have had 1 of these funny feelings in front of someone who knew something was wrong.
The person who witnessed this funny feeling text me last Friday about something else & mentioned what happened when I had the funny feeling. What the witness told me was very interesting as she told me stuff I didn't know I did.

I emailed the information the witness gave me to my neuropsych as I knew what happened Wednesday night was seizure related & more then an aura. My neuropsych emailed me back on Monday morning to let me know she would follow it up with the neurologist. As soon as my neuropsych spoke to the neurologist she emailed me back to let me know the neurologist wanted to adjust my meds again.

I still try to look on the bright side as these auras/seizure activity mainly happen at night so not affecting my daily life.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Thought I'd just call in to give another update. Well since my last update I have continued having these funny feelings / auras, even though I had my Tegretol increased. Usually I have at less 2 funny feelings a month but in December I only had 1 for the month which I was happy about. Most of the funny feelings are in the evening so not affecting my work or every day life.

On the 9th January I had an aura which was a little longer & little bit different to what usually happens so I sent an email to my neuropsych letting her know about the longer aura. She got back to me on 12th January with her response.

Yesterday I got a letter from the epilepsy clinic I go to letting me know that I have an appt at the epilepsy clinic on Monday 9th February. I wasn't due to go back to the clinic until March so was a bit surprised but glad the appt has been made early. I noticed the letter was dated the day after my neuropsych responded to my last email so I am assuming she followed things up & asked for the clinic to make an earlier appt for me.

I'll be glad when I see the neurologist as there are a few things I want to discuss with him. I want to speak to him further about these funny feelings. I have already mentioned to the neuropsych that I don't think the medication combo is working anymore so want to speak to the neurologist about changing my meds eg switching from either Keppra or Tegretol to something else.

Apart from that everything is going well.

Last edited:
Hey CQ, it sounds like it will be a good idea to try something a different med/dose. I hope the visit in February gets things going in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom