Update: Mood, Move, etc

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kirsten

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi. A couple of you were following my last thread, so I wanted to give you an update. As far as the meds change goes, I'm still waiting for the neuro's call back so I guess it won't be happening. I'll have to wait for my appointment for the next move on the meds change. Mostly, I've not been having a lot of partials like I was. Monday was a partials day and that was frustrating because it took me forever to get my work done. But I did get the work done and that's great. Absences and short term memory loss are still going strong but I've not had the severe depression that I had before. It seems to have disappeared entirely. I've not had that sort of episode for a good five years, so I actually don't expect it to get that bad again in the near future either.

I had been looking for a new apartment or cottage near the beach but I reconsidered when an apartment popped up in my old neighbourhood where I have a few great friends to visit all the time, but haven't been able to see since I've been ill because my current apartment is just too far. It's a short walk from the new place to where they are and the depression woke me up to the fact that I cannot afford not to take action on the social isolation issue. This flat is that golden opportunity to make a better life choice and get back the lovely lifestyle I had when I lived in that neighbourhood before, going off to the coffee shop with my laptop to work around real people and visiting everyone on the street on the way home. It made me so happy. I nabbed the place before I'd even gone inside to view it! I managed to be the first one there and others were arriving for the viewing so I just told the landlord that I definitely wanted it, what did I need to do? Now the lease is signed, the deposit is paid, it's mine!

Now I'm working on the move, which is turning out to be hard work, so I'm giving myself a bit of a break by cutting my work down a bit for the next three work days. Still haven't collected empty boxes! Aaah!

Another unprecedented move: I went out on Sunday and saw some friends, went out for lunch, and literally stayed out from 13:00 to 19:00--first real social occasion in six months. I wasn't tired afterwards where usually I've been tired after an hour of going to the store. I guess that long visit was the reason for the difficult Monday but that's okay. Everyone was really sweet and concerned. It'd have meant more if they'd been supportive earlier but what can you do?

So things are far better and I expect that in my new, quiet home (unlike my current noisy one) I will just get better and better.

Well I hope everything works out for you and I wish you the best :)

Kirsten,
I've found that going out and being among people is the best medicine, FOR ME! We do tend to isolate ourselves and that's when our ruminations begin. I find that the more I think about how bad I have it, the worse I feel. I applaud you for "pulling up your big girl pants" and going for what you want. Congratulations on the new place! Do pace yourself with packing because you will wear yourself out.
One Day at a Time!
Good Luck!
M

It is good medicine, yes. I would usually force myself out if I felt like isolating but I was pretty much bedridden for the last six months so it's been lonely. I was going to carry on packing after this coffee break so I'm glad you suggested a bit of pacing. I haven't even eaten lunch yet, which means I'm four hours late for my lunch meds--not cool.

Congratulations on snagging a great apartment! Getting out and connecting with others can make a huge difference for our overall health, but I know it can sometimes take a lot of energy to do so. So congratulations, too, for taking the first steps. Don't forget to ask for help with your move.

We can make a group trip to South Africa to help with the move.. I've never been there..

I am really glad for you Kristen. A noisy apartment is no place for me either. Having a nice cozy apartment sounds great.

Be sure and get out and meet people. Remember, Laughter is the best medicine!!

Take care

Sure, Dignan, that sounds like a plan for a slumber party. You could all pack into my flat with your sleeping bags. Very little left to do, now, actually. I think today I'll just get my books packed, clean the cupboards, get the scuffs off the walls (toothpaste works! Would you believe it?) and knock off for the day. Then we can go site seeing. Think you can get here by 13:00?

Sight seeing sounds good. Not sure how long it takes to get from Texas to South Africa... I wonder if there is a ferry?

Hi, Kirsten - sounds like things are finally making a turn in the direction. I am so happy for you!! And as for the trip to South Africa you can count me in!

Well, you kinda missed the 13:00 ferry from the US to SA, but there is one every hour--turbocharged so you get here in 30 minutes. Hop on and we'll do a horror movie fest.

Hey, Jen. :hugs: I worked so hard today but I have to tell you, the physical work plus the party music is doing me good. After a warm bath, I feel soooo calm. It's lovely. Just what you need when you'd usually feel anxious about moving. It's The Solution!

Glad to hear you are feeling good. I have moved many times and I find that it relaxes me.

I guess I did overwork myself. I woke up with a post-ictal headache and bruises really early this morning. I was reading an article on a science mag and they used the word 'beating' and I was surprised that they'd made a spelling error on a science site, convinced that they meant to say 'breathing' and that there was no such word as 'beating.' It must have been a really minor seizure because I've already gotten rid of the headache but I'll take the day off and try not to worry about the move. Not taking a weekend is in any case probably not a very good idea.

kirsten do you have a digital kitchen timer or a timer on your cell phone I find that if I pace myself with my house work in 15 minutes I get a lot more done and I don't get over worked either I work 3 15 minutes in a row and then I take 1 15 minute break for myself. So glad you found a flat in a good neighborhood close to friends and things you need within walking distance and transport. So important.

Tina

Hi, Kirsten
:hugs: right back to you :)
How are you feeling now? Sorry about the seizure.
I agree there is nothing like the feeling of hard work to feel like something has been accomplished. And then the hot bath - nothing beats that!
When is actual moving day? Keep me posted on how things are going. Have a good Sunday!

Hey, Jen. After I wrote I went to make my bed and found blood all over the pillow and sheet. No wounds to speak of, so that was pretty alarming. I've no clue what could have happened, honestly. I've been tired today and pretty confused but not too bad--not deathly sick, well enough to lie back and enjoy some movies. Moving day is on Tuesday but I've hired a company to do it so I won't have to do anything myself. Cool, huh? Just need to unpack when I arrive, which is much more fun than packing! And then I can enjoy all the peace and quiet of my new place! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

kirsten, you need to see a doctor about what happened. Maybe your doctor can tell you what happened.

That is the way we move and it is a lot better than moving everything ourself. :clap:

Take care, Ruth

Hi, Kirsten
Finding blood is scary!! If no external wounds, maybe it is from your mouth/gums or even further down the digestive tract? I'm on a medication now that can cause saliva to turn blackish at the peak dose. Apparently it is harmless and nothing to do with bleeding, though, but just thought I'd throw that in there in case some strange side effect with a med. you're on can turn saliva red or something . . .
Very smart to hire a company to do the packing as well as moving!! Something I will seriously consider doing should I have to move again. Last time I moved was almost 7 years ago, and I'm not ready to do it again just yet lol!
What movies are you watching? Relax and enjoy! :)

I'm doing the packing (and throwing away!) They're doing the heavy lifting and transportation. Jen, which med makes your saliva turn colour? I believe that phenytoin can do odd things like that. Maybe that's what it was.

What movies did I watch yesterday.... Oh! I started a Good Wife marathon. The good thing about epilepsy is that I can watch stuff I know I liked when I saw it and still remember nothing about it.

Back
Top Bottom