Update on my daughter

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kgartner

New
Reaction score
I've spent the past 3 days in the EMU at CHOP with my daughter while she was having a long-term VEEG. Annika had 3 big seizures and 1 smaller one yesterday and overnight, all with a left temporal lobe focus. It has been an ordeal - she desatted dramatically during her seizures last night (her Oxygen level went down to 14!!), and today she was extremely nauseous and vomiting all day. After a couple of doses of zofran she's feeling much better now, but we are staying one more night. As long as nothing happens (prayers please!) we'll be home in our beds snuggling our dog tomorrow.

We have a new plan since she's been having daily partials and occasional tonic-clonics while on 50mg/day of Onfi (that's a LOT!). We are staying on the Onfi for now, but starting Vimpat tonight. We should be at a therapeutic dose of Vimpat in a week; after that, depending on how things go seizure-wise, we will look at beginning to wean the Onfi. In addition, we are continuing the process of evaluating for surgery - that takes 6-8 months anyway so we might as well keep moving forward in case these next meds don't do the trick.

Interestingly, if you have been following our story at all (See http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/auras-veeg-24280/) she had a bunch of strong simple partials on her first day here - and once again, nothing on the EEG. After rounds I was very discouraged, since the docs seemed to be thinking (once again) that she was having anxiety or panic rather than seizures. Well, low and behold when she has an aura before it spreads to a complex partial/tonic-clonic seizure, that aura doesn't show up either, even though once it's a complex partial the EEG goes crazy. So her auras/simple partials are either too localized or too deep to be picked up on an EEG. It's good to be vindicated, but it drives me crazy that I had to keep advocating that this was the case over and over and over again!

Lesson is - don't give up!! And thank you everyone for your support. I feel good about our plan and hopefully we will be on a positive path going forward. God knows she deserves it!

What a tough road these last few days! I'm sure you're both looking forward to getting home. Was she cold-turkey off medication when in the EMU?
Wishing Annika feels better fast. Keep us posted on how things go on the vimpat etc.

Masterjen - since she's on Onfi they didn't go cold turkey. If you come down off a benzo too quickly you can have withdrawal seizures that may not look like your typical seizures. So they stepped her down from 50mg to 30mg, and then to 25mg. I'm pretty sure she would have seized on 30mg - we just hadn't waited long enough.

They are taking the EEG leads off right now as I write this. We can't get home soon enough!

I didn't realize that coming off a benzo quickly could potentially lead to non-epileptic seizures - thanks for the heads up on that. So glad you both get to go home today. I hope that means your daughter has had no seizures since the other night. Will she be back up to the 50 mg. Onfi as she switches to Vimpat, or stay at the 25 mg she got down to while in the EMU? I was on Vimpat at one point - I had little to no issues with side effects. I hope it works well for Annika.

She's already back up to 50mg on the Onfi - they had all the data they needed and did NOT want her to have any more seizures after the cluster the other night.

She will stay on the Onfi until we see how the Vimpat works, and if all is well we will start taking her off of it.

I didn't realize that coming off a benzo quickly could potentially lead to non-epileptic seizures - thanks for the heads up on that.

Coming off any AED too quickly can cause STATUS, so coming off any seizure med needs to be done slowly for most people. Once I was taking Tegretol, which is a benzo, and was taken off too quickly. I went STATUS and ended up in the hospital for 3 days because of it.

http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/benzodiazepines-for-epilepsy
What To Think About
It may take time and careful, controlled adjustments by you and your doctor to find the combination, schedule, and dosing of medicine to best manage your epilepsy. The goal is to prevent seizures while causing as few side effects as possible. After you and your doctor figure out the medicine program that works best for you, make sure to follow your program exactly as prescribed.

~Adverse effects. Benzodiazepines are central nervous system depressants, which means that they can slow down your thinking, judgment, and motor skills. These effects are usually not severe, but they are a major drawback for some people.

~Drug interactions. Many medicines for epilepsy can interact with other medicines you may be taking. This means that your epilepsy medicine may not work as well or it may affect the way another medicine you are taking works. Some of these interactions can be dangerous. It is important to tell your doctor about all the medicines, herbal pills, and dietary supplements you are taking.

~Risks associated with long-term use. Long-term use of benzodiazepines can sometimes lead to physical and psychological dependence on the drug (addiction). Use of benzodiazepines may decrease seizures at first. But some people begin to have seizures again after using the drug for weeks or months (tolerance). To control their seizures, they have to increase the dose, which tends to increase side effects. Sudden withdrawal of the drug can cause you to go into status epilepticus or may make your epilepsy worse.

~Risk of birth defects. All medicines for epilepsy have some risk of birth defects. But the risk of birth defects needs to be carefully compared to other risks to the baby if the mother stops taking her epilepsy medicine. If you are thinking about becoming pregnant, be sure to plan ahead and talk with your doctor about the benefits and risks of taking epilepsy medicine during your pregnancy. It you are already pregnant, it is not too late. The best thing to do is talk to your doctor about your pregnancy before you make any changes to the medicines you are taking.

~Ease of use. For children or adults who have occasional clusters of seizures (acute repetitive seizures) despite long-term drug therapy, rectal diazepam may be a good choice for treating them at home. It usually stops the series of seizures quickly, and family members can treat the person at home safely and easily. Ending these types of repetitive seizures can prevent status epilepticus and other problems associated with prolonged seizures and can help families avoid emergency room visits when a family member has a long history of acute repetitive seizures.

Other concerns. While taking benzodiazepines, avoid alcohol or any other drugs that are central nervous system depressants.

I don't think Tegretol is a benzo?? But it is an AED and needs to be tapered. Kgartner, I hear you--my myoclonics have increased going down on clonazepam, and I'm going verrry slowly. Not a major increase and they aren't seriously bad seizures, but enough to be annoying. Good luck to your daughter, I'm thinking about you both.

I don't think Tegretol is a benzo?? But it is an AED and needs to be tapered.

Sorry, I'm wrong and you are correct. Tegretol isn't a benzo, but like you and I both say, it is an AED and needs to be tapered slowly, as do all AEDs.

Back
Top Bottom