veeg or ambulatory eeg

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Chloe

New
Reaction score
My neurologist thinks that I am having complex partial seizures. I have had both the regular eeg and the sleep deprived eeg and they both came back normal. She now wants me to do either the veeg or the 5 day ambulatory eeg. My part of the veeg would be about $500 a day- but after 4 days my insurance would cover the rest (so no more than $2000 which I could make payment arrangements for), the 5 day ambulatory eeg would be $850 out of pocket.

I am wondering if I should just go ahead and do the veeg since it would provide more information and I would stay until I had an episode? It is more, but if it is more likely to catch what is going on it might be worth it. I would love to hear from those who have BTDT or have advice. Money is tight here and I really don't want to spend itif I don't need to.

Thank you!
Chloe

Hi, Chloe,

What does your neurologist say is best, and why?

I have a question. Are you on medication, and if so, what?

An ambulatory eeg they hook you up and record your brain waves for X number of days. I think it's good in that it catches you doing your normal everyday life, and you can pack in the seizure triggers that you couldn't be exposed to in a hospital setting. (Is that your FOURTH margarita?!)

An in-patient video eeg they will wire you up, put a camera on you, then take you cold turkey off your meds. This is to provoke a seizure. You won't be allowed out of bed for days (for safety reasons). The VEEG can last anywhere from 2 to 7 days or more. Most last about 4 or 5 days, whether they record a seizure or not. It has the advantage of the ultimate seizure trigger - abrupt removal of your seizure medication. This CANNOT be done safely at home. As in, don't do it at home. Only do it in the hospital under a doctor's care. At the end before you leave the hospital they'll give you a shot of your meds to get your blood levels back up to where they should be.

Question: If you do the ambulatory eeg first and they don't get what they are looking for and need a VEEG, will the $800 count towards meeting that $2000 total cost? In other words, would doing the ambulatory first and a veeg later be the same price as a veeg alone?

My neurologist really wants me to get the veeg, she says it will provide more information. I am not on medication yet, she wanted to have this done first. I am having an episode every 5-9 days (not counting times when I smell smoke that isn't there when I am tired and falling asleep- but I don't know if that is related-which happens about 2-3 times a week).

If I have the ambulatory first the 800 would count towards the 2000 for the veeg as long as both were done before the end of the year.

This is so frustrating. I hate the thought that I could spend all this money (that we really don't have right now!) and still have no answers.

Thank you again!
Chloe

Back
Top Bottom