Video footage of seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

joeyrory

New
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm posting too much, don't know anyone irl who can relate!

I had another seizure yesterday, had an aura (deja vu, fear, heart rate increasing and weird stomach feeling), called my dad and promptly sat down.

I then had one of my 'black outs' but this time my dad caught it on tape! After sleeping off my fatigue, today I saw my own seizure for the first time. :pop:

It was a combination of really weird/unsettling but interesting to watch. I was wide-eyed staring, licking and smacking my lips, and chewing. My left hand was completely still but held awkwardly like with my wrist upturned, fingers stretched up :? with my other (right) hand I kept tugging at/twisting my shirt. My dad spoke to me at one point and I turned toward him but didn't respond and continued chewing.

This lasted for about a minute or so and he caught me coming out of it too. I started wiping and rubbing at my nose a lot with my right hand, he called my name and I grunted in reply, and held my hand up to block out the flash from his phone.

I have my first neurologist appointment in a week so hopefully this video will help them determine what's going on.

Has anyone else seen a tape of them seizing? How did you feel about it? Also do you think the video will be particularly helpful for the doctor or not?

Hope everyone's doing okay!

A few years ago my husband videoed me during a seizure.

I grabbed a pillow in a pillow case and kept trying to put my foot into it. When my husband couldn't get the pillow off of me that's when he started to video me. He didn't video the entire seizure just part of it.

I've done several funny things during a seizure that my husband will tell me about when I come out of it. I've always told him that I wish I would have seen myself walking around the room and doing all sorts of odd things. Watching me try like crazy to put my foot into that pillow case was pretty funny.

It could be worth it to ask your neuro if he'd like to see the video because sometimes when you are tying to describe something is hard. Your nero may be getting a different version of what actually happened.

Also there could be something that happens during the seizure that you might be forgetting to tell your neuro about and he could see something that happened that he'd like to ask you about.

Has anyone else seen a tape of them seizing? How did you feel about it? Also do you think the video will be particularly helpful for the doctor or not?

Hope everyone's doing okay!

Yes & Yes.

Back in Oct '13 when I was in for my second round of VEEG, I was able to see both my CPS & Tonic Clonic. Fortunately I only needed the two to confirm my focal point hadn't changed.

The video will certainly help your doctor narrow down the type(s) of seizure(s) you are having.

FYI, yes today marks 11mos seizure free since my surgery. :)

Like Bigman, I was videotaped for surgery, and it did help the docs determine where the seizures originate from and what type of seizures they are. And, yes I saw the video, too, and no it isn't a pretty sight, (I have CP and TC seizures) but at least you now know what others are seeing.

Back
Top Bottom