Vimpat costs in your area?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gnault

New
Reaction score
:brain:

Out of curiosity how much do you pay for VIMPAT where you are at? When my neurologist switched me to VIMPAT his first question was "how do you pay for your medications".

I picked up my first one month supply of the 100mg pills and the full cost before the insurance was $387.00. My portion was $96.00.

That's far less expensive on this side of Canada! I'm assuming you're on the brand name and not a generic, if they even have a generic version yet? Either that or your insurance is covering a great portion of the cost than mine was. I'm not on Vimpat any more, but I do recall the cost being well into the $100s.

I was told there is no generic for Vimpat. I am fortunate that my insurance covers the majority of the cost. Don't know what I would do if I had no insurance and that was the only thing that worked. Why did you come off of it? I'm still working off of Lamotrigine and on to Vimpat. Right now I'm at 100mg morning and evening and working up to 200 mg morning and evening. I get rid of my evening dose of Lamotrigine next week and two weeks later I get rid of my evening dose of Lamotrigine.

I came off Vimpat before I reached a dose sufficient to significantly control seizures due to severe eye sensitivity, mainly to light but also when eyes were closed I had an almost constant burning sensation. This happened even on dark, dull days. I stuck it out for a couple of months in hopes of adjusting to it, but eventually just couldn't take it any more.

Hi gnault,

I take 100 mg. dosage of vimpat and I get it for 3 months and before the insurance it costs $400.00 but I only have to pay $10.00.

Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

Last edited:
Our monthly copay with Vimpat is $300!! It's been extremely effective for my daughter, but the cost is a real issue.

Where do you live?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Philadelphia. We have good insurance, but Vimpat is considered a "specialty" drug and the copays for those are crazy. She's adding Lamictal soon and if that seems to work well for her we may try pulling back on the Vimpat.

Edited to add: I just looked at one of our receipts and the insurance payment for the drug is listed as $1036.40. This is for 120 pills (she takes 400mg/day)

Last edited:
I'm working up to 400mg and coming of lamotrigine. Any problems with side effects?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Vimpat still doesn't have a generic form available. Our insurance charges me a $200 copayment for a 3 month supply. My total 3 month copay is $300. The other $100 covers the generic version of Topamax & the folic acid.

I stopped taking Vimpat after I switched insurance companies. My copay was around $600 IIRC.

"Local" costs of Vimpat according to GoodRx is about $750 (for 400mg daily dose). Not sure what my copay would've been, OptumRx website is pretty horrible. I do know that I hit my maximum out of pocket expenses so my meds lately have had no copay.

This is nothing though. I take an antipsychotic called Saphris for which there is no generic for. 1 month cash price is about $1600. This is nothing to fool around with for sure. Without insurance I would be quite unwell.

Last edited:
I agree about OptumRx--that is our insurance company's mail order pharmacy, too. In fact, I just received a package--they had, w/o asking me--put 2 of my meds on auto refill! I have a new neurologist, and I didn't need them. I found out that a package may be coming when I saw a pending charge on my credit card.

The insurance my husband had through his previous employer used Walgreens mail order. They are 1000% better.

Back
Top Bottom