vimpat and rapid weight gain

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been on vimpat for about 6 months and have gained 60 pounds and am still gaining. It's getting to the point that I can't keep up with daily chores due to the extra weight and worsening fatigue. Fatigue was an issue before the med but it's getting worse. Has anybody else had issues with weight gain on vimpat? It's the first med I've found that controls my seizures without turning me into a raging b**ch. Should I continue taking it or is this a valid reason for coming off of it? I've always been a skinny person and had trouble gaining and keeping weight on my whole life so the weight gain worries me. My thyroid has been tested and came back fine. :ponder:

If the medication is helping to control your seizures I would look at lifestyle factors before asking to discontinue the medication. Do you have a healthy diet with minimal sugar intake? Are you avoiding processed foods and saturated fats (and too much fat in general)? Are you controlling how much you eat - in this regard it takes about 20 min for the brain to process that the stomach is full, so it helps to eat a smaller than usual portion of a meal then wait 20 min before deciding if you still feel quite hungry. Try getting into the practice of stopping eating when you still feel a little bit hungry; this is a sensation you will eventually get used to. Are you eating enough protein - it requires more energy (ie. more calories) for the body to process protein than other foods, but at the same time you don't want to overdo the protein. Load up on fiber-rich vegetables, as these can lead to a sensation of feeling full with few calories.

And finally, are you getting enough exercise? Both weight training and cardio exercise are important for maintaining health and losing weight. Interval training has shown to be one of the better forms of exercise for weight loss than "long, slow and steady".

I was going to mention your thyroid.

I gained weight like beast while on Depakote and diet and exercise management was the only thing I could do to control it. Intermittent fasting and heavy cardio (30-45 minutes swimming laps in school pool) was the only way I could lose weight. I had to do some major changes to my diet too. HFCS had to be given up cold turkey.

Weight lifting also was a healthy alternative, but may not be an option for you. I ended up looking like a meathead, lol.

I hope it works for you and I'm happy that your seizures are controlled.

I only eat 2 small meals a day, usually chicken breast for lunch. I usually snack on cashews or fruit throughout the day when I get hungry so I get plenty of fiber. I walk my bloodhound about 2 miles a day at a fast pace and do as much as I can around the house. The fatigue is overwhelming. It seems like walking my dog takes more energy than I have and I'm usually unable to complete housework. I don't work so I feel like I should atleast be able to clean my house. The more weight I gain the worse the fatigue gets and the more worthless I feel. I'm afraid at this rate I won't be able to function by next year.

My daughter has been on Vimpat for about 6 months as well. She has not experienced weight gain on Vimpat, but she does have major issues with fatigue. According to her neuropsych work-up they also think it's having a pretty big impact on her processing speed. However, it is doing a good job controlling her seizures: she hasn't had a single tonic-clonic while on it, and it seems to be actually getting more effective over time. In the past month she has had a huge drop-off in the number of partials she's been having (went from an average of 3-4 per week to just 4 this month) - either the Vimpat is working better or she's just having a lull in seizure activity.

Have you discussed this with your doctor? This sounds like it's really impacting your life.

I agree to discuss this with your doctor. Just a couple of quick notes, though: cashews are high in fat (10 cashews have 12 grams of fat) and while they are a "good" fat, there are limits to everything. Also, fruit may be high in fiber but it is also high in sugars, which is why eating fiber-rich vegetables is more favorable for weight loss. When you say you snack throughout the day, it is important to be aware how many calories are involved in these snacks, and nuts are very high in calories (10 cashews have 155 calories, and those are very unbalanced calories; ie. lots of fat, some carbs and a little protein http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/generic-10-raw-cashews-188245862). This is a copy of Canada's Food Guide http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/order-commander/index-eng.php I'm sure other countries have something similar as well, but you may find it helpful. Good luck!

Last edited:
There are several AEDs that do cause weight loss or weight gain. Years ago when I started taking Topomax (also known as Dopemax) I lost 25 lbs within a 6 weeks time frame. That is a side-effect that is listed for that drug. A side effect listed for Vimpat is weight gain, so call your neurologist ASAP:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/drug-lacosamide/article_em.htm

Stop using lacosamide and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

double vision;
feeling like you might pass out;
fast or pounding heartbeats, fluttering in your chest;
feeling short of breath;
fever, skin rash, swollen glands, flu symptoms;
bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
lower back pain, cloudy or bloody urine, swelling, rapid weight gain, urinating less than usual.

I saw her a few months after starting it and she wasn't concerned with the weight gain then. I have surgery next week and see my neuro a week after and figured I would talk to her about it again. The reason rapid weight gain is listed is because it's a sign of congestive heart failure and that's already been ruled out.

I saw her a few months after starting it and she wasn't concerned with the weight gain then. I have surgery next week and see my neuro a week after and figured I would talk to her about it again. The reason rapid weight gain is listed is because it's a sign of congestive heart failure and that's already been ruled out.

So, why did you ask about weight gain if your neuro isn't concerned about it? :ponder: Seems suspicious to me. I didn't see Congestive Heart failure listed in the side effects of Vimpat. Just because a person gains weight fast, doesn't mean they have congestive heart failure. My daughter gained weight due to Hashimoto's disease. Or could be other hormone problem(s). And other AEDs can cause rapid weight gain; Depakote, Tegretol, and Neurontin, to name a few.

I'm taking Vimpat...and keppra....and lamictal. Lamictal will eventually replace the Keppra. I've gained weight since going off Dilantin and riding the med-switching roller-coaster for the past 6 months. I'm going to blame my weight gain on decreased activity because of the fatigue from my meds and not working. I'm an RN and used to working at a dead run most of the time. I'm starting to feel better and getting a little energy back so I'm hoping to be more active and shed some of those pounds!
Good luck!

I'm taking Vimpat...and keppra....and lamictal. Lamictal will eventually replace the Keppra. I've gained weight since going off Dilantin and riding the med-switching roller-coaster for the past 6 months. I'm going to blame my weight gain on decreased activity because of the fatigue from my meds and not working. I'm an RN and used to working at a dead run most of the time. I'm starting to feel better and getting a little energy back so I'm hoping to be more active and shed some of those pounds!
Good luck!

I hope you find a medication balance that works to keep the seizures away and allows some of your energy to return. If you can, try setting small goals for yourself when you are trying to exercise when fatigued due to medication. For example, walk 3 times per day for 10 minutes each time rather than doing 30 minutes all at once. A weight training session (hand-held weights and/or body weights) can be done the same way, where you divide your exercises into 3 or even 4 mini sessions of around 10 min each. As you lose the weight and become more energetic, you will most likely be able to gradually start combining the individual sessions.

She wasn't concerned about it three months ago but I've gained quite a bit since then. Heart failure isn't one of the side effects but she said any time you have unexplained rapid weight gain heart and liver failure need to be ruled out. I'm just wanting to know if others think continuing rapid weight gain is a legitimate reason to ask to be taken off of a med. I don't know why that sounds suspicious.

I'm hoping the warmer weather will help. I spent a couple of hours planting and weeding today. Your advice makes a great point because sometimes walking a mile or two seems daunting but breaking it up feels doable. Small steps, but at least making progress. Thanks!

I'm hoping the warmer weather will help. I spent a couple of hours planting and weeding today. Your advice makes a great point because sometimes walking a mile or two seems daunting but breaking it up feels doable. Small steps, but at least making progress. Thanks!

Your welcome. Let me know if it works for you. BTW - planting and weeding qualify as physical activity. Congrats on getting out there :)

She wasn't concerned about it three months ago but I've gained quite a bit since then. Heart failure isn't one of the side effects but she said any time you have unexplained rapid weight gain heart and liver failure need to be ruled out. I'm just wanting to know if others think continuing rapid weight gain is a legitimate reason to ask to be taken off of a med. I don't know why that sounds suspicious.

I'm glad she ruled out heart and liver failure. Now she needs to look at the side effects of AEDs and the harm of rapid weight gain. It can cause Diabetes, and loads of other problems, so she needs to listen NOW. I don't think asking to be taken off a medication is suspicious. What I said is her waiting and seeing about the weight gain is what sounds suspicious to me. What is she waiting for? You to get worse and suddenly becoming SO overweight you won't be able to lose the weight and end up with Type 1 diabetes or something? What about kidney failure? Has she told you about that?

I asked to be taken off Topomax years ago because of rapid weight loss and the anemia it caused.
If this neuro won't listen, then time to find a new dr.

Vimpat and weight gain not with me, I wasn't on it to long after I found out I was allergic to it.

I see what you're saying, now. Sorry, hubby said I was a little off last night (I thought I was fine). Apparently I wasn't comprehending some things real well either. I've thought about changing my neuro before because she seems to kind of blow some things off. I'm fairly new to this whole seizure thing so I wasn't sure if I was overreacting before. This is the first med that has controlled my seizures so I see why she would want to keep me on it, but I just can't deal with these side effects. Last time I saw her I'd only gained 20-30 pounds, and was just a little overweight. Now I've gained 60 and am going to refuse to stay on it.

I've been on Vimpat now for about two months...I'm gaining weight as well....and you all know what I do for a living....I've gained about ten pounds...I gained weight with Lamotrigine, and the doc took me off it immediately...I have to say thought that I LOVE vimpat and I hate to see him take me off it...I'm hoping with the warmer weather thought I'll be sweating more and working that weight off a little easier...but...I will give it a little more time, and if I keep gaining weight, then it will have to go bye bye....I'm a bigger build, and I can't afford to gain 60 pounds on top of my larger frame...I'm already 5'10, 236 pounds, and I used to weigh 287....and i'm NEVER going back to that again..and not for ANY seizure medicine....if you've never been overweight, and done hard physical labor everyday, then you won't understand what i'm talking about...Epilepsy can be just a fraction of someone's everyday struggles in life. Runsincircles....I totally understand what you are going through....and I would be pissed off and demand a change immediately, and just so you know..you have to eat to lose weight, if you don't, our bodies go into starvation mode, fat storage mode, and will start to work against you...and breakfast is always the best time to kick start your metabolism...and stay away from concentrated juices..one of the worst things you can put in your body.....best of luck to you...:)

I empathize completely....

I realize I'm a little late to this thread but I thought to post for those with a similar issue...

I was on Vimpat for over 3 years and during that time my seizures were under complete control. In addition, I didn't have any cognitive slowing that is sometimes experienced on other anti-convulsants such as Topiramate or Zonisamide.

However, I also gained nearly 75 pounds! My doctors began to fear I was becoming pre-diabetic. I am an incredibly active person, so the weight gain was astounding to both me and my physicians. It seemed that no matter how much I worked out or which fad diet I tried, the weight just kept coming.

If this is happening to you, please know it is NOT dispositional. The medication can cause weight gain. As soon as I came off Vimpat, I lost all the weight ...ALL of it. I feel so much healthier! Talk to your doctor about something that works better for you. Some people are just more sensitive to certain side-effects. Live well and be kind to yourself.

I've taken Vimpat--400mg/day--for a long time. Thankfully, I wasn't affected by rapid weight gain. Now I'm switching from Vimpat to Zonisamide due to a change in our insurance.

Back
Top Bottom