Vision Problems

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bluesbrkr

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been on Lamictal and Trileptal for quite a while, but started having more breakthrough seizures, so my neuro added Topomax to the mix. As we ramped up the dosage, I had some double vision problems occasionally, which I understand is normal... those pretty much resolved, although I still get it from time to time... no biggie.

But one day, out of the blue, my vision went wonky... I'm near-sighted, never been bad, but still wear glasses for long distances. All of the sudden, like over night, I have to take my glasses off to read up close! I've never had to before! And it's not just kinda... It's really blurry up close until I take them off. Then it's really blurry far away, and I have to put them back on for distance, which seems much worse.

Has anyone else experienced a sudden deterioration in their vision like this with a certain medication? Topomax in particular? I've backed off the Topomax completely, but no change in vision... of course, it could be just getting older, I did just turn 43, but it seems so weird for it to be so sudden.

thoughts??

Thanks!!

I'm on those two meds and I've got a lot of problems with double/blury vision.

After my first seizure my vision changed drastically. I only have one pescription but I can't see up close or far away without it. I go every two years to have my eyes checked and my pescription always changes and I need a stronger one.

I can't remember if it was the eye doctor or my neuro that told me this but he said that having seizures causes your vision to change. I don't know how often you have seizures or how bad they are but it might have something to do with it.

I had some foggy vision sometimes the 1st yr after starting Lamictal. When my dr added Topamax I had weird vertical stuff happening- like when I saw a door, it looked like there was a fuzzy extra inch or two to it. Walls, the same thing. Only happened with vertical things.

I probably didn't describe it very well, lol.

It was almost like what I'd see sometimes when I took acid at 17. Kinda like tracers... Lol.

I quit the Topamax after a few months.

Seems pretty sure that Topomax is the culprit... did your vision get any better after stopping it? Mine has stayed the same. Again, I very well might just be me getting older, but seems strange to be so sudden and to coincide with starting Topomax. Maybe that just set off the natural progression, since it is not correcting now.

I don't think the problems are due to the seizures since mine are under control for the most part and the ones that I have had for the last 2 years are simple partials, pretty mild ones, but who knows.

thanks for the replies!!

Has anyone else experienced a sudden deterioration in their vision like this with a certain medication? Topomax in particular? I've backed off the Topomax completely, but no change in vision... of course, it could be just getting older, I did just turn 43, but it seems so weird for it to be so sudden.

thoughts??

I take Topomax and haven't experienced vision problems yet, but it can happen, according to the http://www.topamax.com/tools-resources--safety-information.html site:

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION

Warnings and Precautions:

TOPAMAX® may cause eye problems. Serious eye problems include: sudden decrease in vision with or without eye pain and redness; blockage of fluid in the eye causing increased pressure in the eye (secondary angle closure glaucoma). These eye problems can lead to permanent loss of vision if not treated. You should call your healthcare professional right away if you have any new eye symptoms.

My daughter had terrible vision problems when she took Tegretol (in the same family as Trileptal) After it was completely out of her system, that side effect never bothered her again.
She tried three more drugs, with different side effects. We found the side effects to be unacceptable.

Thank you for the information and sharing everyone. I really appreciate it. I'm going to back off of the Topomax and see about switching to something else. Not sure what would work with the Lamictal and Trileptal, but we'll see what my neuro says. Fortunately, my new insurance starts in about a month, so I can go see her then without having to pay a ridiculous amount... :)

Thanks again!!

I would ask your doctor about mono-therapy. You haven't been experiencing this for very long, so it appears they did not even give this approach much time to see if it works.

IMO anyone would have adverse side effects with multiple drugs.

Back
Top Bottom