Vitamin D Deficiency and Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

No Shame

New
Reaction score
Has anyone had any Vitamin D deficiency diagnosis? I took anti-anxiety drugs for about 4 years then took Keppra for a year, then found out i had severe Vitamin D deficiency. I was prescribed 50,000 units of Vitamin D (supplement) for 12 weeks. I am awaiting results to see if they worked. I am pretty sure Keppra was to blame--as the medical information for prescriptions advise taking Vitamin D and Calcium supplements. Vitamin D deficiency can have a serious impact on bones, muscles, cognitive functioning, nerves, you name it...! Vitamin D levels should be at 25 (minimum), mine was at oh...zero.

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/pdfs/epilepsy_pro_levetiracetam.pdf

Can this seizure medicine affect bone health? Some seizure medicines can cause thinning of the bones. While
levetiracetam is not known to cause bone problems, all people taking seizure medicine should take calcium and vitamin D
supplements each day.

I wondered about this when I go into a nice sunny day and it feels so good and my mood is instantly lifted! Good topic, I am into the hospital soon, so I shall seek advice from them, i am tellling on my neuro!!!!

I have oestroposis...but it is related to having hysterecomy at age 27. But I know there are several people on her that have developed oestro after having taking seizure meds

How much vitamins to take then?

OMG scary! I really have to get healthier in terms of supplements, drinking milk, and getting active. Hard though and easier to be :roflmao:

So is recommended dosage enough for supplements (as listed on the bottle). I take Melaleuca now and they are super-vitamins but i know i don't absorb 1/2 of whats in them because my pee is bright and florescent! Sorry TMI. At the same time, wouldnt our bodies need more if we are getting stripped down of vitamins due to medication?

I don't believe there is a set requirement that is universal. The amount on the bottles is only a guideline. I know my daughter and I take over twice the RDA of magnesium per day. I take 5000IU of Vit D, and I have her on 2000IU.

I have a list of her vitamins on Rebecca's story in my signature.
However here is a current list of what she takes:
Taurine
Vit B Complex
Vit E
Vit D
L-Carnitine
magnesium

Rebecca gets calcium from food (though not from cow dairy)
Reducing flour products. Limiting potato items until blood sugar is stabilized, and substituting mostly with brown rice (though not daily). Quinoa is a good substitute.

Absolutely NO High Fructose Corn Syrup, or MSG related ingredients (read labels and learn what these are... maltodextrin, broth, flavoring, hydrolized soy protein, etc)

By locally grown organic whenever possible, especially eggs.

Back
Top Bottom