vivid dreams

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Do any of you have dreams that are almost nightmares? After I wake up I still remember the dreams for hours.
I experience this in the early morning & they seem to continue for 3 or 4 hours. I thought it might be my seizure med but I've left it off at night before and I still dreamed. I've changed my diet & that had no effect. When I wake up I don't feel like I've slept at all. this happens almost every night. Any ideas what might be causing this? thanks.

What medications are you on? Since she started Vimpat my daughter has had extremely vivid dreams, and occasionally nightmares. One morning she woke up and was angry at me for 20 minutes due to something I did in her dream (not really, but that's how vivid it was!). I've read others say that about Vimpat, and maybe other meds have that effect as well.

I'm on lamictal and I dream every night, sometimes I'll even remember having 2. Only a handful have been scary/disturbing thank goodness, but they are incredibly bizarre. They stay with me for hours too, some I never forget. :(.

Before I began my meds, I'd maybe remember one dream a year if I'm lucky.

Sorry I'm no help, just wanted you to know you're not alone. **hugs**

At times, I've had very vivid dreams and when I wake, I'm thinking, did that really happen? That's been happening for years to me and I've been on numerous AEDs. Currently, I take KEPPRA and still get those vivid dreams. IMHO, it's a TLE thing.

When I took lamictal and was first diagnosed w epilepsy I hallucinated in the night. It did not dawn on me until just now, reading this thread, that the hallucinations might have had to do with the medication.

I've had vivid dreams for as long as I can remember. Many of them disturbing and lots of them involving going up and down flights of stairs. Even when I was a child, and long before I started taking any meds I would have vivid dreams and nightmares and would walk in my sleep. I had one yesterday, in fact, where I had a dream, woke up and realized it was a dream, and then things started getting weird and I woke up and realized that the first wakeup had been a dream. That same thing happened 5 times in a row! When I finally woke up for real I wasn't quite sure for a while that I was really awake and had the feeling that I might wake up again. Weird.

In the past two years, I have either dreamed a ton or none at all, completely swinging back and forth depending on what med I've been on. When I was on Lamictal I had tons of vivid dreams--I loved it because I had barely dreamed in years. I went off it and went on Topamax and clonazepam and they stopped. I'm weaning off both and for the first time in many months I'm finally dreaming again. When I'm having nocturnal seizures I don't think I dream at all--I don't seem to get into a deep enough sleep pattern to either get rested OR dream.

I have a lot of vivid dreams. I'll wake up from them and it takes me a little while to figure out where I am or what's actually going on.

I'll hear things in my dreams that will wake me up. I've heard the phone ringing and went to get it but then realize it was in my dream. Same thing has happened when I'll dream my alarm has gone off.

I also feel things in my dreams. I may get punched, burn myself, touch something cold and other things like that. I've also had dreams that I'm cramped into a very small place. I'll wake up panting and gasping for breath until I realize it was a dream.

I stopped having dreams for a while due to partial seizures. After I started Vimpat I was back to having them. Not necessarily vivid or scary, but I'm having them again. I've had a few lately that bug me a little...

I had pretty bad nightmares and vivid dreams in the 90 days I gave up alcohol earlier this year, similar to the ones I had when weening myself off of Depakote the year before. More vivid dreams than nightmares, but the nightmares stuck w/ me a bit more, I'm still dealing w/ some of them to be honest.

Thanks everyone! The only medication I have taken is Neurontin but I still had them when I wasn't taking anything. I find it interesting that in my dream I was exposed to pesticides & I could smell them or whatever I was dreaming about.

I've always had vivid, crazy dreams on Dilantin and now on Keppra XR. It's kinda the joke in our family. Sometimes their almost like a wild adventure and I'm worn out when I wake up. Not too many nightmare though. I agree with Cint that it's probably a temporal lobe thing.

I can have some really vivid dreams, I wake up and I start feeling around to find out it was just a dream.

I've always had crazy dreams, but Keppra really ups the ante. The higher the dose, the more detailed and bizzaro the dreams. Some are pretty unpleasant, some just strange, but some are actually fun. I sometimes literally wake up laughing.

Me too, travel bug! I often feel like I've just gotten off a really great amusement ride! Love it when I wake up smiling.

Back
Top Bottom