Water...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MrE

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
be careful how much you drink...I didn't realize this but I was probably drinking too much water and flushing some of my meds out of my system...I drink like a fish everyday...I love water...but my meds are acting jealous and want me to spend less time with water...I can't help it though...I AM AQUAMAN AND I AM DEEPLY IN LOVE WITH WATER! :D (I'm about to have another manajatwa with my meds and some water)

water-heart-small.jpg

The whole "deeply in love with water" was implied sarcasm...I am actually deeply in love with fire because together me and fire make steam :D (yes I really am "Aquaman")

You are a strange, strange man.

I'm not sure if you really can flush out your system with too much water. The medicine should be absorbed anyway an sent to your bloodstream. Even if you are pushing it into other parts of your body, such as the colon, it should absorb it even faster.

Effects should be minimal. I'll give you the regular answer. Its all in your head. :p

anyway...it's my birthday/anniversary today :)

what are you on? if it's topamax that requires lots of water to avoid kidney issues such as stones. when i was on it nothing rough with the kidney but regular constipation for a year, another reason to drink lots of it.
what's the reason for your meds wanting you 'to spend less time with water?'
:ponder:

Happy birthday, MrE! :wave:

...but my meds are acting jealous and want me to spend less time with water.

Can you give more details?

Moderation in all things, MrE. Be sure to drink enough water. Dehydration can be a seizure trigger. Way too much water (gallons) can screw up your electrolyte balance, which can also be a seizure trigger. On the whole kidneys are a wonderful thing. They regulate everything fairly well.

How have your seizures been doing lately? Have you been feeling okay?

Last edited:
:) hi endless, looks like we're both really curious with that. oh e, good times.

Some of the AEDs can make one extremely thirsty (Keppra does it to me) and can lead to dilution of the sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Trileptal can cause hyponatremia also. I had to stop taking Trileptal for that reason. Sometimes athletes drink too much water, too quickly, leading to water intoxication which could be deadly.

What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

Thanks for all the posts guys...sorry can't respond right now...gotta go spend time with my lovely wife :)

Hey, congrats !! with a lovely wife AND happy B-day. I know what you mean about the water issue. I have keppra and two blood-pressure meds that dehydrate so i drink lots and try to drink more than i feel like. It is very good and i know most U.S. citizens are dehydrated so i always think more is better but i know you can 'flush' your system too much and diminish some medication effects. that is a worry.

Awww,

Happy birthday, MrE!! :D

I know the water thing.......I will drink up to 3 liters of water a day, sometimes more....Not all at once, it's usually spread out over the course of 16 hours, and includes the 2 cups of coffee and several cups of herbal tea.

Keep in mind though, I am on a cocktail of meds that processes in both the liver and the kidneys....

I can't possibly respond to all of this independently (well I can but it will cause me to become manic) but I will say thanks again everyone for all your posts in my thread...it is very much appreciated...

but anyway...for the googleplexed time I take DEPAKOTE ER 1,000mg a day...sure that may not seem like a lot but I am a smaller man (with a giant heart :D)...and believe me it's enough...my neurologist recommends that I take 1,500mg a day but that is only to help tame my bipolarbear (down bear! down!)...but I'd rather take a vitamin which is my alternative... "NAC" (N-Acetyl Cysteine) which surprisingly has been known to help keep the bear in line (my subconscious mind notices the effects)...

I notice I am usually thirsty a lot (including dry lips...which reminds me I need new chapstick) but I do workout often...weights, cardio, yoga, etc....if not I'm either up and cleaning obsessing over how symmetrical things should be (what can I say I'm an artist)...yeah I'm also "obsessive compulsive"...whatever...I took the test on how much water is recommend for me to drink daily and I was already drinking the appropriate amount...actually not quite enough...but close...really fuckin close...I just sometimes get a little paranoid and I know sometimes I do things absentmindedly...including forgetting how much water I drank...I sometimes forget if I took my meds so I'll just take them again (I didn't actually forget I just think I did)...

To be perfectly honest with you all on how I "feel"...there isn't any words to describe...but I will say that I am still alive and physically intact and that reality is whatever you believe it is...thus believing is only real once you learn to look past the illusions... (free will is a prison)

oh yeah...I'm also going to be taking creatine soon...so my water intake is going to go up a little bit...gonna make some gainz lol

Last edited:
I noticed this was an old post, but it caught my eye. I too am on Depakote (1250 mg ER) Water consumption has always been a problem with me. I'm always trying to find a source of my epilepsy. Never, have I enjoyed drinking water. I'm probably always on my way to dehydration as my lips are always chapped. Drinking water makes me feel sick, even just a tiny bit of water. Regardless of the source it just makes my stomach and throat feel terrible. Have any of you experienced a similar response? (I was this way years before my Epilepsy)

Yesterday my Neurologist said to drink more water but I don't remember why. I have to ask my wife.

You are a strange, strange man.

I'm not sure if you really can flush out your system with too much water. The medicine should be absorbed anyway an sent to your bloodstream. Even if you are pushing it into other parts of your body, such as the colon, it should absorb it even faster.

Effects should be minimal. I'll give you the regular answer. Its all in your head. :p

I don't know about flushing all meds out of the body but I drink between 2-3 gallons of liquid per day. I have managed to flush out so much sodium that I would have cramps so bad I couldn't drive or sleep. The doctor thinks it contributed to my last status seizure. I now liberally salt everything and add 3/4 teaspoon of salt to a Power Ade at least every other day per doctor's instructions. (I have low blood pressure.) I am supposed to see a kidney doc but haven't yet. I may have something called diabetes insipidus.

I don't know about flushing all meds out of the body but I drink between 2-3 gallons of liquid per day. I have managed to flush out so much sodium that I would have cramps so bad I couldn't drive or sleep. The doctor thinks it contributed to my last status seizure. I now liberally salt everything and add 3/4 teaspoon of salt to a Power Ade at least every other day per doctor's instructions. (I have low blood pressure.) I am supposed to see a kidney doc but haven't yet. I may have something called diabetes insipidus.

Cramps after drinking 3 gallons of water may be a symptom of water intoxication, which occurs because of low blood sodium levels. One symptom of water intoxication are also seizures.

You can be thirsty from 4 basic reasons:
- Dehydration due to excessive sweating
- Excessive urination (diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus)
- Psychological reasons
- Medications

Dry mouth may be also caused by medications or by hyperventilation...Blood and urine tests are necessary to find the cause of excessive thirst/urination.

Back
Top Bottom