We made the news!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

WOOT! Big high five from me and all of Winnipeg. I actually wrote to my newspaper this morning wondering why there were so many articles this morning about breast cancer, when this was epilepsy awareness month, and this disorder needs to be recognized just as much as breast cancer or any other disorder does.

I have yet to hear back from them. I might try another newspaper tomorrow.

That is great, Phylis. Just what we need:

Proposed Disabilites Act Expansion Discussed, Phily.com
Chrisner and Phylis Feiner Johnson, who represented the Epilepsy Foundation of SouthEastern Pennsylvania applauded the amendments.

Phylis, This is great, Ruth

:agree::agree::agree::clap::clap::clap:

Not just talk, but active participation in the system. Good Job PFJ

Phylis, Bernard is looking for what's going on this month in the Bulletin Board. He has something great going as well. Tell him what you know.

Congrats! I suppose we could all applaud them for having the guts to publish this. Editorials are powerful.

Bravo, I've been trying to get our local paper to do a piece on epilepsy or on a conference we're having this month but they're not biting. Then yesterday there was an article proclaiming November as Hospice and Home Health Care month. I jumped on them and pointed out that It was declared Epilepsy month by congress in 2003. Still not biting.

Rae1889 Thats bugging me to. Not to take away from breast cancer but a bit over kill for one disease. I have a group of friends who lost a dear friend to cancer several years ago. She even asked me to not make everything all about her and her cancer and yet they still do. They walk every year and we have an annual weekend together in her honor they still put the pink ribbon on everything. Oh and why does this bug me. They've barely asked anything about epilepsy. Not one visit before or after my brain surgery this past summer. Not one offer to drive me anywhere in the year and a half since my diagnoses. I guess breast cancer is the hip cause.

I hope I don't sound like a big baby. I've had my own breast cancer scare and know the fear involved.

Sorry Phylis, I just got excited!! Could not help myself.

Here's another one. My hubby was just watching this mornings Good Morning America and they declared November National Diabetes Month. How many issues can claim a month and who decides which one gets national attention? Some one way up in Epilepsy marketing is dropping the ball, I mean come on David Axelrod is the co-founder of CURE and has the Pres.s ear and yet nothing. What gives?

OK Found it. I went back to The House of Representatives web site and found their calender. There are aprox. 8 causes given to each month of the year. We share November with pancreatic and lung cancers, hospice, home health care, Alzheimers and diabetes along with other non health issues. So I guess we're not the only ones left out of the media.

All I can say is Thank God for Susan and David Axelrod, they're really pushing the cause. And getting money from the NIH for research. That's no small thing!

Hi, I also have Diabetes. I knew this was both months on my calendar. Both need to be pushed.

the breast cancer campaign seems to be focused on the breast of women and not the cancer, which just adds to the sexist society we live in.

November is Epilepsy month in Colorado

Here is something that appeared on HLN in Colorado:

I also posted Epilepsy Awareness from CO Epilepsy Foundation on my Facebook page.

And Ruth, I also have Type 1 diabetes along with epilepsy. More meds, needles, doctors!! Not fun to deal with more than one demon!

Last edited:
Something else I posted in the "Creative Writing" forum, but no one seemed to see it so I'll post it here also:

The Last Voice

A soft voice whispers in my ear
I pretend not to hear,
The voice becomes loud, austere,
losing control, I adhere,
feeling like I disappear
somewhere in the stratosphere,
Several moments, feel like a year
my mind isn't clear,
I do return with many a tear
why are folks so cavalier
as they watch in fear
for Epilepsy is the last frontier.

I also posted this on Colorado's Epilepsy Facebook page.

Hi Cindy, I love your poem.

Epilepsy is the last frontier, It is perfect!! It is so true. That is one of your best poems. Thank you for sharing it here. My review cannot give it justice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom