Welding with E?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Does anyone do any welding or know someone with E that does welding? I've wondered if the flickering light from the torches and the metal cause anyone problems.

Strange question I know, but I'm thinking of trying to learn.

Some people might be prone to getting a seizure from the flickering light. I'm pretty sure that's not a trigger for me. My worry would be having a seizure of some sort and having the flame go where it shouldn't, which could be really bad. I have complex partials for the most part, and have always been able to continue with activities while I'm having the seizures, but there have been times when I've dropped a tool or a book or been a little uncoordinated for a second or two. For myself I wouldn't want to be working with a torch when that happened. Are you thinking of doing the welding just for yourself? If you were hoping to get a job somewhere, I doubt that any company would hire you if they knew you had epilepsy.

I weld. No problem there. If you are photosensitive there may be a problem. I can any type of uncontrolled epilepsy being a problem with any type of welding, so be careful if you aren't and have someone around in case of an emergency. Welding is easy and fun.

I'd say I'm a little photosensitive, but not enough to send me into a full seizure. The only time that has happened is if I'm already having an aura or something, so in those cases I'm already in the danger zone, and I use the aura as my warning to stop whatever I'm doing and get to a safe place.

As for what type of welding, I really have no idea, as I'm a complete novice. Its just something I've thought about for awhile, and I know a guy who does metal fabrication and welding for all sorts of places, and he creates his own metal art too. So, I think he might be willing to help me or at least point me in the right direction should I go thru with it.

I hadn't ever thought about it for a main job, as I'm sure you have to be a master welder to make a living at something like that.

Good points though guys. I never actually thought a place could legally not hire you for having E. I mean would the same apply to carpentry with power saws and the like?

In the past, I've been fortunate that I'm pretty well controlled with my meds (knock on wood), so its the side effects from the drugs that are worse for me.. But, of course, I wouldn't want to put myself or anyone else in danger. Just wanted to get the thoughts of some people here who might have some experience on the subject.

I'm certainly not photosensitive, and I don't know exactly how it effects things. You may want to talk to the doctor about that.
I don't believe a company can ask if you have a condition such as epilepsy, but if they do know, they can keep you from doing the work.
I ARC weld. Yes it does flash like hell and if you touch anything you will burn the S*** out of yourself. If you are controlled, you should be fine.
Do some reading up on the subject before you do anything else. It will give you an understanding of what you will be doing and keep you from making silly mistakes like I had made when I was teaching myself. :)

I would think the flame would be the last of your worries when welding. The flame itself is a gas flame so it's not going to flicker like a match does and is pretty steady by comparison.

An ex girlfriend of mine went out with a welder & what she remembered was the excessive stress to the body that welding caused due to being so close to constant heat. I feel that would be more of a trigger to your seizures than anything else. I don't know how strong or what kind of seizures you have but I would also be concerned as to what you might do should you have a seizure while holding a lit torch.

Personally I'd say check out a welding site/forum where you can ask questions. Maybe even go the the school where you're considering learning and asking questions. I do hope you intend to take a course & not learn on line. I see that as very dangerous.

Here. Pulled this one up. There is no way to really show exactly how bright the light is, but I have a self adjusting helmet on, so that can help.

Pay no attention to how crappy the welds are on the cherrybomb. :D

IMG_0706_zps23ff102b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom