what is to be expected from topamax?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been on medication for one year now. I was diagnosed two years ago and started taking Keppra a year ago.
I was increased eventually to 1000mg 2x a day of keppra. It worked at first but hasn't seemed to in a while. So my neuro orders another EEG. The results were abnormal and show no signs of even slight improvement so instead of decreasing my meds (like I was foolishly wishing), my neurologist added 25mg of topamax 2x daily, in 12 weeks increasing to 50mg 2x.
I'm a stay at home mom with a 5 month old baby. I am already sleep deprived daily but my seizures don't seem to be triggered by lack of sleep but is by a stage of sleep.
But on this new medication I read it causes dizziness, sleepiness, etc. Basically I've put off taking this medicine for five weeks because I'm wondering if it would be safe to take this when I will be alone with my baby all day long? What's common while taking it, any side effects or discomfort, advice or tips?
I want to wait until my husband is home for a day at least but he's been working a lot and we have been travelling when he wasn't working.

Topamax is one of the drugs that actually helps control my seizures I'm refractory.
I have partial seizures. I take 200MG 1 twice a day. My seizures can be triggered by crowds,flashing lights sleep deprivation.Or just nothing

side effects are dizziness,doublevision,fatigue.I get use to the side effects after 3-4 weeks of taking a med it's different for everyone though.

It's been said on this forum many times but certainly worth repeating, that you never know how any one medication will work for any one person. Topamax did not work for me. I'm fairly resistant to med side effects (some have caused seizure exacerbation but I haven't really had other side effects worth mentioning on Tegretol, Lamictal or Keppra), except Topamax. This drug can have a rough side effect profile for some people. I lived with it for going on a year, but my main side effect was serious electroyte imbalances that caused diarrhea, weight loss, hairloss, vitamin deficiencies, and many other things, and the imbalances themselves caused uncontrolled seizures. This certainly isn't everyone's story! But it is very important to note that good nutrition is very important on this drug. People tell you to drink LOTS of water when on Topamax--but If you drink tons of plain water all day you can flush out your electrolytes, and those need to be replaced. Be sure to get plenty of potassium (through diet), magnesium, calcium, B vitamins, and salt--if you drink tons of water sodium is important too. I was not doing these things, and for some reason, for me, Topamax aggressively depleted my potassium and magnesium. I'm going off Topamax but it's taking a looooong time to do. I hope this is a great drug for you. Don't let my story worry you--lots of people have problems on Keppra and I'm having no problems at all--but I did learn what Keppra depletes you of, and am making sure to replace. Be proactive about your diet and you may not experience many side effects.

Last edited:
I was on Topamax 750mg x2 for about 2 yrs. Increasing the dosage was a nightmare! I haven't experienced side effects as such, the only issue I had was when I was gradually increasing the dosage. I did lose weight initially with it. Up until recently I was getting really severe headaches so my GP changed me to Gabapentin. No headaches now (Touch wood)
I'm a believer that some meds can just stop working after a while. I was having up to 60 partials a day but now I may have 1 a WEEK. Big difference!

Last edited:
My 2 year old son is on it right now, but we are in the process if weaning him. Not really sure how it affected him as he is only 2 and has been on meds since 4 months of age. Dr's think it could partially be the reason why he is not yet speaking and is delayed. He has other patients in it and it seems to be working for them. The brain is such a complex organ and no one reacts the same to medications. The process of finding the right medication is such an arduous and frustrating process. I wish you luck in finding something that will work for you.

I was on Topamax 750mg x2 for about 2 yrs. Increasing the dosage was a nightmare! I haven't experienced side effects as such, the only issue I had was when I was gradually increasing the dosage. I did lose weight initially with it. Up until recently I was getting really severe headaches so my GP changed me to Gabapentin. No headaches now (Touch wood)
I'm a believer that some meds can just stop working after a while. I was having up to 60 partials a day but now I may have 1 a WEEK. Big difference!
Angelita,
How are you able to handle so much topamax?
I've told my neuro I want to decrease the dose of topamax and I take 200MGx2.
I also take a lot of other meds during the day, that aren't epilepsy related.

Belinda, I won't lie, it's been bloody hard! Increasing the dosage was difficult. I was an absolute nightmare to both my colleagues and family members. Every time I was due to increase, I would take a few days off from work as my mood was terrible. Initially it did work for me but then it just stopped. I've now weaned off them slowly under supervision and I feel better. Gabapentin has been a breeze compared to those Devil pills lol :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom