What is it I have?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I sometimes experience some phenomena on which I can't quite put my finger on.
I registered here specially to ask you people about it, because I think you might know some of the answers.
I realize this is quite a stretch of text, but please hear me out.

First of all I am sensitive to quickly strobing lights, like the ones in clubs, I think this is something common.
If I try not to focus on them, and they don't stay on for too long they can be quite uplifting.
But they can make me a little dizzy and uncomfortable when I am exposed to them for periods longer than say...2 minutes.
Luckily they rarely do this in clubs.

I guess this is nothing special, as some people will get seizures of those same strobing lights.
But there are other things I have I think are less common.

Sometimes the way text is arranged can be quite disorientating(especially on computer screens), and the text will be difficult to concentrate on and thus read.
This often happens when text spacing between characters is the same as it is between lines, resulting in the loss of order in the text as it is now a big block of letters instead of a structured series of lines.
This would appear to be a normal reaction to such a text makeup, but it will also 'move/shake' in my vision, and the contrast between the text and the background will appear to be far greater then the black on white or white on black it really is, making the text almost 3 dimensional.
Sometimes closing my eyes for a period of about 10 seconds will help a little, but sometimes I will just have to skip the text.

Also, certain patterns can be disorientating, for instance; in the city center of the town I live in, the street is made of clinker bricks, with a standard "brick building wall" layout, arranged in horizontal fashion.
Sometimes, though not always, this pattern will appear to be moving or shaking, especially when I do not focus on it.
This also happens with dot, stripe and many other patterns on clothing for instance.
This also appears to happen more severely and more frequently when the sun is shining.

And finally, sometimes (often when using the computer, but not always) everything I see will suddenly appear very small/far away.
The image is still sharp and I can see details just as well, but everything seems far away and hard to focus on, like trying to watch a movie on a small 14" television that's 5 meters away, except I will see all the details.
This happens every two months or so, sometimes it happens more often, like 3 of 4 times a day.
It will kick in suddenly and stay the same(no peaks or anything) for about 15 minutes before it is suddenly gone.
Like I said it happens more frequently when looking at computer screens(LCD and CRT alike).
And if I should keep trying to use the computer, the phenomenon would not go away(but then again using the computer while it happens is so uncomfortable I never do)
Sometimes closing my eyes for a minute or two, or going for a walk will help.

Does anyone recognize these symptoms?
Especially the last phenomenon is strange, though not serious by any means.
I should also point out that at age 7 I was diagnosed with ADHD, and at age 14 this was adjusted to ADD, I am 18 now.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Welcome Mart!

I don't recognize your symptoms but I do recognize your name as a very Dutch one. :) So I like to welcome you at the CWE forum!

Hehe, yes it is and thanks.

But I would still like to get an answer to my question from someone.
So please people, I know my initial post is a little lengthy, but I would really like to know if someone recognizes my symptoms.:ponder:

Some people with epilepsy are sensitive to such things as strobe lights, computer screens, and other forms of visual stimulation.....but I can identify with the visual thing. Strobe lights and long periods of time on the computer are triggers for me and can bring on seizures. Even walking through the woods with the sun shining through trees can cause a seizure so I wear sun glasses and try to avoid looking at the light for too long at a time.

I have learned over the years to avoid flashing lights if at all possible(I even look away from ambulance and police cars that have their lights going)and limit my time on the computer. You may want to try that and see if it helps.

Peaceful Hugs,
Rose

I am bothered by certain lights, strobe lights, even going to see movie on big screen triggers a seizure. I also have problems at times with the carpet pattern becoming hypnotic sometimes when I walk down on certain narrow hallway in my office. I almost feel drunk when it hits me. I avoid being out at night as certain kinds of headlights and neon signs bother me too.

Welcome, Mart van Steenbergen. I read through your text and it certainly did not seem lengthly to me because I rarely abbrieviate myself.

But to your point. Saying that I understand your frustration is not what you need to hear. This I understand. It's not enough and the gesturing can sometimes become trite. You need someone to give you answers. While I don't have them, I can direct you to The Kitchen, where Epilepsy is exculsively discussed and to The Library, where matters such as yours would be best explored by very informed members who have a plethora of data at hand.

Like yourself, I do feel like an anomaly and often alone. I've read article after artical about correlation of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy to Bi-Polar Disorder and Dissociate Identity Disorder, to no avail. I read "strong correlation" then at the end of the articles "no conclusive evidence". I want to pull my hair out!

The Library provided me with some helpful feedback and links. My symptoms are also rare...one, pertaining somewhat closely to yours, is time disorientation e.g being in the bathroom for only five minutes, certain that I've been there for an hour. Yes. This is different from visual distortion but they're both kind of hallucinatory, hey?

I feel safe in assuring you that you can't be alone! All that is under the Epilepsy umbrella (and it's large) are vastly complicated, unique symptoms. Someone is bound to stumble upon you. And if you ever want to temporarily give your didactic quest a rest, feel free to kick and scream. Most of us want to get into the knooks and cranys of ourselves. We want the "whys" and we're justified in the asking and loudly. We're complicated people with complicated questions who deserve to expect some clear answers...after all we go through.

Last edited:
not sure

I do not recognize any of your symptons but would certainly suggest that you seek medical help soon (you wouldnt want your symptons to become any worse it they can be helped).

Thanks people, for all the support.

Try to understand that my symptoms do not really limit me in any serious way, they do not occur often and when they do they're quite mundane.
I've never considered them to be more than a mere curiosity.

The 'small vision' phenomena is somewhat worse as it can definitely interrupt my focus on say a screen, or a book.
But after closing my eyes for a couple of minutes I can always continue as I were, and of all the symptoms I experience this is the rarest by far.

My post here was out of curiosity, not out of distress.
But now I am wondering; Do I have reason to be concerned? Is it normal for such light ocurrences to suddenly or gradually get worse? Is there anything I should really do?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have Nystagmus which I have- involuntary shaking of the eyes- mine is congenatal where i was born with it. It causees changes in everything you look at- I am blind with some residual vision left but can't use it for very long anymore and can barely read large print for more than 10min. I am totally blind in my left eye and also have tunnel vision too. Anyways I WOULD go to a opthomologist not just an ordinary optomitrist. I would ask them to look at your eyes for nystagmus or ambliopia or strabimus. I have all of these conditions and nystagmus is the one that causes your eyes to shake- some people can get theirs to stop for a short time then it starts up again. Nystagmus can be caused from medications or you can be born with it. usually you dont just develope it out of no where- BUT I would still look into it for sure.
I can remember when I was able to see and when i was little that bricks on the building walls would make me fall over to one side cause it would move so much. The bottom of the walls where the darker color plastic is, always moves and people move and then everything moves all day long.
Anyways- please look into that and let us know how you are doing.
please take care

-Crystal and her guide dog Umbro (Bark bark!)

Welcome, and I understand about the light thing. I haven't gone to a movie theater in years because of it. I avoid concerts and other places where I know there will be flashing lights and I wear my sunglasses when I go out. At duske when we have to drive through areas where the shadows flash I will usually close my eyes to avoid the flashing. It seems to help. (I don't drive) Once I got an LCD monitor for my computer it seemed to be better, but I still try to take breaks often.

Back
Top Bottom