What are non-specific seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jan4you

New
Reaction score
Just completed a 5 day video EEG in hospital. I was certain nothing would come of it..as nothing much as going on prior..and nothing much going on during. 3rd day my Epi changes dose of neurontin down a pill..then next day..down another dose. She will read the whole study but initially she states I do have ABNOMRAL results but no epileptic. She says there are 2 categories of seizures and I have non-specific probably autonomic.

Is "non specific" the same as psychogenic? Can you have psychogenic seizures and still have an abnormal EEG?

I am to stay on the same med (Neurontin) as it agrees with me and has kept things rather quiet of late.

I am supposed to keep a journal of any signs or seizure activity.

I have had periods of losing consciousness/memory but not TC. I was told that was complex partials. I continued to walk, talk? or write things while at work and not have memory of making aimless mistakes.

I have had jamais vu and dejavu just this year around an MS exacerbation.
Then when I got home form that hospitalization, I had the smells, heard a voice in my kitchen..and continue to have goosebump waves.

So..what is non specific type seizures..is it the same a psychogenic and who of you has had them?

Thanks

Jan

Is "non specific" the same as psychogenic? Can you have psychogenic seizures and still have an abnormal EEG?

My understanding is that non-specific means that the source of your seizures is unknown. They don't know where in the brain your seizures start.

Jan,

Loss of consciousness while walking, talking, writing, etc. is a type of complex partial. I have them, but tend to do really nutty stuff while unconcious, like say really crazy stuff, take my cloths off, go outside in the pouring rain without shoes or coat, etc.

I also have jamais vu, and smell weird stuff. Those are types of simple partial seizures. I've never heard voices, but lots of people do. It's a type of simple partial.

Frustrating when all this happens when you get home from the EEG. Darn. Why can't we do this stuff when at the doctors?

Thanks for your response.

What she told me is that there are 2 categories: Epileptic and non specific.
In my case she is suspecting autonomic. I have mostly goosebumps that come in waves..nearly daily. I have Dysautonomia. I am to consult again with this neuro for autonomic disorders and my epi will continue to monitor my seizures with poss additional video EEGs. Ick.

Jan

I agree with Eric. The "autonomic" part just refers to the autonomic seizure symptoms you are having, probably simple partials. (Autonomic symptoms are things like nausea or sweating, goosebumps, etc.)

So..correct me if I am wrong..but NON SPECIFIC is not psychogenic?

And with psychogenic seizures..is the EEG then NORMAL??

She did note some abormalities..so ENDLESS It did pay off to have this crappy 5 day video after all. She and I both think it could be autonomic.

So does this mean I do NOT have complex partials at all? But more simple paritals with autonomic symptoms?

Jan

Sorry for all the add ons..but I am just putting all this together.

She said it NOT in the epileptic category..but non specific. So does that mean I never had complex partials? But can have simple partials?? so confused.

As she decreased the Neurontin the autonomic goosebumps mostly came pouring in waves..even waking me up in the night

Jan

Jan,

Maybe it is time to both ask her for more of an explanation, and also to seek a second opinion. If "non-specific" was a traditional diagnosis, I think more people in here would have heard of it.

I tend to think "non-specific" means the doc doesn't really know.

I tend to think "non-specific" means the doc doesn't really know.

You crack me up. I think you are right. It's doc-speak for she has no clue.

Ok yes I found an answer which states NON EPILEPSY seizures can be either physiologic or psychogenic.

She believes I think mine are physiologic and that goosebumps have been my most recent symptoms,,which makes it more autonomic

My question.. sorry..is that can't autonomic seizures be partials?

But if it non epilepetic she doesn't know what condition (s) is causing this seizure activity. I have Dysautonomia and MS. She says it can overlap. But since my last really bad MS exacerbation with this unusual horrible headache it resulted in poor balance with inability to walk for awhile. that has all cleared up but she knows I have all these problems which is manifesting in seizure like activity.

Remember I have had "unconscious" black outs of seconds or more..not sure..that no one has completely witnessed..and all this autonomic stuff.

I am a mess..thanks for helping me figure this out.

Yes I will get a copy of my records and discuss in detail when I see her in 2 months. She wants me to keep a record of any seizure activity..I cannot drive and if something new comes..to call right away.

Thanks again folks

Jan

My question.. sorry..is that can't autonomic seizures be partials?
Yep. A type of simple partial seizure is autonomic seizures. And it it completely possible that it is a physiological cause.

not sure what 'non-specific' refers to. i have not heard it used. it might mean NES diagnosis

NES diagnosis is a bit controversial in some cases, the neuro is trying to pass your case off to a psychoanalyst, in effect trying to tell you that you might be 'crazy' and get you out of his office so he can devote more time towards working on people that actually have things in their brains that the MRI and EEG's are detecting. (at least thats my very blunt and to the bones interpretation of it).

the above if just my very personal take on it and yes, i will admit i might be way off track.

Douglas thanks for responding with your caring and thought out response.

What I learned from my Epi is that its either Epilepsy or nonspecific seizures. And non specific seizures I learned is EITHER psychogenic.. from trauma..or physiologic..like I have..from my autonomic disorder or from MS she thinks.

But I still cannot drive.. and still have to remain on meds..as my symptoms mostly are simple partials with autonomic symptoms. My confusion is..well..then isnt that epilepsy if its simple paritals??

CONFUSING sometimes eh?

Thanks again

Jan

sorry. i didnt mean my response to be gruff. just writing it from what i think would be the viewpoint of the neurologyst (based on my experience of the ones that i met).

if they request MRI and EEG scans for 10 years straight and nothing shows up over that lengthy period of time, they start to move on ... they try to get rid of you by medicating you for life or passing the buck to someone else. NES diagnosis as per above.

personally, i have never been to a psychoanalyst. but based on what i have read, they might do more damage than good.

from my understanding, quite a lot of epilepsy cases are "unexplained". as high as 75% in some readings. who knows. best of luck.

my stance is, you have to have a good relationship with our neuro. some are just plain a-holes, if you dont like her/him or you dont gell - try to find another one that you do like. it makes the world of difference.

Jan...here are a few articles on non epilepsy seizures.

A physiologic non-epileptic seizure can be triggered by some sort of change in the brain — typically a change in the supply of blood or oxygen rather than electrical activity. (that is why it is classified differently)

and yes, you can have simple partials or any other type of seizure within the non-epileptic classification.

http://www.mnepilepsy.org/epresearch/articles/nonepileptic/classification.pdf

http://www.everydayhealth.com/epilepsy/understanding/when-are-seizures-not-epilepsy.aspx

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Non-Epileptic-Attack-Disorder-(NEAD).htm

hope that helps and hope you are doing well :)

What are "goosebump waves?":ponder:

I get goosebump waves. Its like the feeling that you get when your goosebumps start, over and over again. And then I get goosebumps. They go away and come back repeatedly.

Back
Top Bottom