What Rescue meds work for you?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
On Tuesday after a day of TC's and atonics I ended up going into status which lasted 41 minutes. 10mg of buccal midazolam failed to work, even after the second dose of another 10mg. I was taken to hospital where I was given 450mg of Phenobarbitone versed which finally stopped. I've gone into status a lot of times before, but not much that the first dose of midazolam doesn't stop. It's really scared me, I've spent the last couple of days doped off my brain, constantly sleeping or crying. I'm just stuck on what to do, I've tried 8 different AED's in different combinations, but I can't seem to get proper control. What AED's have you found to work? What rescue meds work for you? I suffer from TC's, Atonics, Myoclonics and Absences. Sorry this is so long.

Wow, I'm sorry you've been through the wringer recently. Has your neuro weighed in on the latest status event? And/or made any suggestions about what the next steps might be? I think ativan and diazepam are often the short-term meds used to stop seizures as well as phenobarb.

How many meds are you on now? If you're more than two or three meds, it might be worth discussing a taper. In some folks the e-meds actually can cause seizures or make them worse. There are other non-med treatment approaches, such as implants or surgery. Do you know if you might be a candidate? There are also alternative treatments that might help. more about those here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/index.php?p=alternative-treatments

My neuro increased my Dilantin (from 500mg to 600mg) and my Epilim (from 1500mg to 2000mg), but she has left the keppra alone (1500mg). I had the VNS put in 2 years ago but it never really reduced the seizures, although for a while it did make it easier and faster to recover from TCs. It's turned off at the moment. Neuro wants me to go for another MRI, so we are searching for somewhere to get that done (a lot harder when you live rural and you have a VNS).

Last edited:
For status, I've always been put on a Clonazepam drip. It never failed. These days, though, I can't take benzos and I most certainly wouldn't recommend Clonazepam for day to day use. People do use it for control, apparently but I never ever could. The most effective AEDs for me were Epilim, Tegretol and lamitrogen.

Back
Top Bottom