what ARE these sensations..?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

morgan86

New
Reaction score
ok this is random but i was wondering if anyone out there gets.. weird sensations from noises.. not ALL noises but sharp high pierced. i used to sing soprano in a choir and some of the girls voices when they would hit certain notes.. i could feel myself get dizzy and i would blank out kinda (but not lose consciousness. like.. a zap or something. and i'd have to blink really hard or kind shake my head or i felt like i was going to fall on the floor. that and also very loud noises. i get the same sensation if i pull up nxt to someone on a motorcycle at a red light. or when an ambulance or fire truck or any LOUD siren goes by. is that the audio sensitivity thing? i always just thought i had really sensitive ears. a few yrs ago i had to quit private voice lessons cuz my teacher would sing real close to my face and she was very loud. again i'd feel off balance.. just a really strange sensation. could this have been some type of seizure? the reason why i didnt think anything of it is because its been a problem my WHOLE life and i didnt have my first tonic clonic or noticeable seizure until i was 14.. i cant explain it to the neurologist so i dont really bother anymore. i nvr dreamed it could be a seizure but.. now im not so sure. could this be a trigger to one?
i also get a similar sensation on amusement park rides. strange because i LOVE them but the.. freefall sensation i guess is so uncomfortable that its just not worth it. people always think i mean motionsickness or dizziness or something so i just let them think that. no point in explaining it. elevators do the same thing.. anybody else have these problems??? or think they know what they are? most importantly, i DONT get nauseated. no urge t o throw up.. just an urge like.. i may explode or is this a preseizure feeling? GAH! so confused

Good morning Morgan!

Nope, your not weird. I will get crazy headaches or migraines when listening to the red hot chili peppers. *so I don't! Ha* under speber's auditorium one of the option for an RHCP song is nails on chalkboard heebee jeebee. That is the best way I can describe it. My head will turn to the right, I sort of compact myself in voluntarily, and feel like I'm going to hit the floor. Then the big headache comes. Not sure if that is a complex partial or what.

Britany Spears new music actually makes me go into a tonic clonic. There is a high pitch beeping in the background, and her voice sounds so computerized in her song "three", and it sends me into a seizure. The first time I posted the question, I thought I came to the conclusion that it was a combination of the song, and the movement of our car. But it happened 2 days ago while sitting at a restaurant.

So I don't think your odd for asking.
*and like you, I used to get migraines for all sorts of songs when I was younger, but didn't think anything of of it. Up until my first tonic clonic when I'd have a full seizure to a song*

I think for people with E, certain nerve pathways get enlarged, so that the information they carry is intense and virtually instantaneous. Specific lights, sounds, and smells jump right on that superhighway and provoke a reaction. In some ways, it doesn't matter whether it's a migraine, an aura, a pre-seizure reaction, or a seizure reaction -- they're all aspects of the nerves and brain behaving in a disconcerting way.

It's interesting that you react intensely to both sounds and free-falling. Maybe your inner ear (which is partly responsible for balance/stability) is close to where some of your seizures originate.

maybe. thanx u guys!! its not so much specific songs as it is noises cuz i listen to a whole buncha different types of music. death metal included. so because of that no one believes me. when i was younger i'd put on a really hardcore song and blast it with my headphones on b4 i would attend a chorus concert. hoping i could get my ears warmed up to hearing the loud noises. but it never worked. i'd blast rob zombie into my ears then go to chorus hear a high note or stand nxt to the concert band and still get those sensations. CRAZY! lol.. i just wish i could explain it to my doctor. this inner ear thing is intriguing though

Morgan

A very good friend of mine used to have a very similar problem with high pitch noises. At the time we didn't know they were seizures nor did she and sometimes one of our friends would whistle really loud and this is what would happen: She would start to spin around in a circle, arm contracted, neck contracted towards the contracted arm and although she was conscious she couldn't really speak but would make some weird noises. To us, as children, it was a big joke and of course she knew we loved her and her nickname amongst us was Trasy Twitch. Again, didn't know what it was and she didn't seem too concerned and had accepted it and would run for cover when a fire truck came. O.K. so now years later I get diagnosed with E and she told me that what was happening to her, as kids, was actually a type of seizure. Ahaha, made sense to me! No, I'm not affected by noises but I understood some of her symptoms of what it felt like in the brain. Anyway, if my memory doesn't fail me (although with E that's quite possible ;) she is actually cured from this and it had to do with hyperventilating. I recall her saying that a doctor had her do the whole breathe in a bag thing and maybe that did the trick, (I know, doesn't sound possible but not sure of all the details but I know the whole bag thing rings a bell). However, I do know she's NOT on any meds nor is she epileptic. So, I will absolutely call her and find out all the details of what she did about it and get back to you. Kelley

I do

get the high-pitched sounds in my ears, and it doesn't matter which one (sometimes both at the same time)--but it doesn't cause me to have seizures or pre-seizure feelings. For me, it's just an annoyance. To me, it almost sounds like a dog whistle or something......

Back
Top Bottom