[Info] How to talk to your doctor

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
How to best work with your doctor, and why some go to the psychosomatic diagnosis when they don't know what's wrong. Also how to think together with them to reach a complete (and more accurate) diagnosis.

Article: When doctors don't know what's wrong

Last edited:
took 38 years for me to finaly get a diagnosis . I know now that I was having seizures all my life { somehow un-diagnosed } . i went thru hell in school and in my daily life . things like being put in the corner or getting a good smack by my teachers { yeah back then teachers where allowed to do that } . there was the usual name calling by kids. At home I was sent to bed with no dinner for " mis-behaving " many any times. { on almost all of these times I was punished i could never remember what I had done.
Somehow I managed to write off 31 cars throughout my driving career { and have no recall of any of the accidents } without raising suspicion of a neurological cause, until my 38th birthday when, I drove my pick-up truck at 100 miles an hour down the wrong side of canadas biggest highway { the 401} I managed to drive 50 km bouncing off of vehichle after vehichle until i finaly hit an 18 wheeler head on.
The incredible thing is that NO ONE WAS SERIOUSLY INJURED INCLUDING MYSELF.
I was still in the seizure when they managed to cut me out of what was left of my truck.
I have watched the news video of this day , yet i have no recall of acvtually being there.
I NO LONGER DRIVE.

Bruce,

That's nuts! Did the doctors have some type of diagnosis at all? since when is losing consciousness at least 31 times a normal thing?

I am so glad you made it through all that safely, along with everyone else. You had someone somewhere looking after you.

" you had someone looking after you " wow yeah. Im not a big believer in " GOD" but im pretty sure we all have our " someone " out there.. i find it amazing , incredible, odds defying, unbelievable. that in all the car accidents i have had throughout my life the worst injury has been 2 broken ribs { myself } caused by my seatbelt. Other then a few bumps and bruises no one else has been injured .
maybe i ought to send my driving record to the boys at GUINESS lol

I changed the title of this thread to "how to talk to your doctor." I think it represents the article better than "when your doctor doesn't know what's wrong." I'm hoping people find it here in the library.

There are so many folks in here who have recieved a diagnosis that they feel is incorrect, I bumped up this thread so people can read the article if they want to. It's interesting to hear how doctors are trained to listen and think. No matter what the topic, it's really helped me structure my information and communicate better with my doctor. It may help you also.

In case anybody had trouble with the link, here it is again: http://www.happinessinthisworld.com/2009/04/26/when-doctors-dont-know-whats-wrong/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom