when your doctor tells you to stop meds cold turkey

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Day 4 has been good. But the neurologists office called yesterday, they are having trouble getting my referral for the second opinion. So I'm stuck at the moment but I wont give up. I noticed I am getting more light headed since coming off the topamax but that's it so far... Everything else seems fine so far, I'm a little anxious but getting off keppra was much more difficult, although I was on it much longer than topamax

Its been two weeks now and everything has been fantastic compared to before. My head is clear, I haven't had any seizures at all (even partials which I have been getting for months daily), chest pain has stopped, weight loss has stopped, soda tastes good again (not necessarily a good thing) and most importantly... I saw my GP yesterday and after noting the weight loss and taking an EKG she is sending me to a cardiologist. She says (as I knew) that my blood pressure is low and (what I didn't know) so is my pulse. Top that with an irregular heart beat and she agrees I may be fainting over having actual seizures. I don't even know if these partials are paetials or if they are migraine symptoms. So I'm going to the cardiologist finally. I am still on 500mg of keppra 2x a day, and feeling so much better.

I'm so glad to hear!! Please keep us informed on the cardio appt! I stopped my topamax reduction at 75 mg so I could go off of clonazepam--and I'm really looking forward to getting off it for good but think it would be dumb to try to taper off 2 drugs at once. It's the Devil Drug for me too. At 75 mg I'm nowhere near as bad off, but still have some fluctuating electrolyte problems. IMPORTANT QUESTION: Do you feel your partials were possibly attributable to topamax? I get these kinds of partials that are super mild but happen on and off all day long sometimes. I never ever had those until I started TPM, and the higher I went, the worse they got. I talked to two neuros about it and both said no, can't be the TPM. I think it is--and I wonder if they will stop once I'm off, I rarely get them at all now, and even my myoclonics are way better now that my electolytes are getting far more balanced.

Back
Top Bottom