Who to call for an MRI?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
So my new epileptologist wants me to get an MRI, and stated that I can get it done in my hometown in VA (he's located in Pittsburgh).

I'm curious, should I contact the neurology department at the hospital here w/ his order? I've never had to do something like this before.

Over here, I'd expect them to contact the hospital and get you set up for an MRI appointment, who would then contact you. If you can do it yourself, what's to stop people randomly booking themselves MRIs for the lulz?

Just phone the main number at the neurology department, tell them what's happening and see what they say. If you need to contact another department, they'll probably be able to pass you on.

I'd expect you'd have to give them your details and they'd confirm it with your doc, then send you a letter with an appointment.

It may depend on how your insurance works. With mine, I have to get a referral from the particular doc involved, and then call to set up the appointment.

I also have to have a referral to have an MRI. My neuro is located in Pittsburgh but I go to a local hospital to have it done. My neuro had told me that was ok. I'd ask him though just incase he'd rather you go some place in particular to have it done.

Back
Top Bottom