Why do I have seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

George__

Stalwart
Reaction score
I'm in my early 20s and it started in my mid-late teens (NOTHING IN MY CHILD HOOD). Seems like I'll be doing very well on the medication and then *BOOM* things go to s8.

Like this year I've been very careful to take meds, avoid alcohol, get decent amount of sleep (~6 hours at worst) etc but now my seizure pattern changed? Used to only happen at home when I was sleeping but recently it happened AT WORK IN FRONT OF MY SUPERVISOR.

It was so embarrassing, lost my ability to drive a car,medical bills to pay, lost my freedom, job issues etc... I was on this medication for a good 3 years too without problems so I'm surprised.

My reason for this thread... If there is a "God", he/she/it has one sick sense of humor ... Pretty much ruining my life for good year or so -_-"

On another note... Good *stupid* reason to go partying/have some fun :D

Last edited:
Hi George, welcome to cwe :)

Epilepsy can definitely be a hard condition to come to terms with and deal with. I can understand your frustration- my epilepsy came on when I was 21 and changed my life forever.

One good thing in this, is that if you've been keeping your seizures under control for 3 years- and the pattern has only just changed- then hopefully with just a slight 'tweak' in your medication, you may well be able to get them under control again :)

I'm not saying that will happen easily, but I'd focus on that and getting your freedoms back, rather than hitting the booze and going into self-destruct mode..

Last edited:
George
why is it so embarrarrassing? you can't help if you have a seizure?

Your not suppose to drink with your meds. I've had seizures all my life and I've never drank don't like the taste of alcohol.I've never driven never been able to .My seizures can come on for any reason I'm intractable.Anything can bring on my seizures.
I refuse to sit at home because I might have another seizure if I do I so be it.I take public transit all the time to get around.

Last edited:
On another note... Good *stupid* reason to go partying/have some fun :D

:agree: Only that it is a STUPID reason to go partying!! Because if you do, you will probably end up seizing more.

My seizures started when I was in my early 20's, also, for no known reason. I had to quit my party life and start taking meds that made me miserable. And 30+ years later, still taking them. Tried many meds. I've had numerous seizures in public, CP and TC, so for some, it goes with the territory. Lost my ability to work in the airlines, drive, etc. But I did raise two kids. So you will be able to do something. And like Slim Blue said, having the seizures under control for three years is good, sounds like you need a medication adjustment. Call your dr. Seizure patterns do change over time.

^
Congrats on raising two kids. Very depressing that every few years I'm going to have to have to look forward to doing a 360* -_-".

@Belinda5000 - I work in a trade not a business job. After this incident I believe they consider me more of a liability than just a needed expensive.

Last edited:
Very depressing that every few years I'm going to have to have to look forward to doing a 360

That won't necessarily be the case. Try and look for other things that have changed in your life that could have triggered your seizure during the day. Maybe it's extra stress in your life- like from work, or with family. Finances etc..

I was on roughly the same pattern for 15 years, then I went back to uni and got a job, and the extra stress of all that caused my seizures to change type and frequency- but when I'm not so stressed, they're the same as they used to be :)

^
Yes my pattern of life definitely changed this year..... But I'm growing up / have more responsibilities...

Maybe every time my life makes a huge transition a change in epilepsy trigger will follow?

Last edited:
Possibly. But again, it may not be so depending on what the change is.

The main generic triggers for a lot of people with epilepsy seem to be stress, tiredness and feeling 'run-down' due to illness.

As you say, growing up and getting more responsibilities is definitely likely to cause more stress lol so it's maybe not surprising your current situation has had an effect.

Over time though, stress can be something that we learn to deal with, and so it doesn't have to have such an effect on us ;)

As Slim says there are some triggers like fatigue and stress that may have played a role in your seizures. And seizures can also be affected by changes in metabolism related to aging. Generally speaking, if your seizures aren't fully-controlled there's a risk that they will progress. So if you were having them at home, then there was a risk that sooner or later they might show up at other times. I'm sorry it happened to you and had such consequences in your daily life. I hope you can get back on track.

^
My neurologist never informed me of this progressing seizure concept.. Will ask her

Thanks

George,

My seizures increased as I got older but it's different for everyone. I had more responsabilities yes inmy 20's yes.I moved out on my own for the first time.I also was determined not to move back home because of my seizures.I found what my triggers were for my seizures.I was in constant contantact with my neuro about my seizures.I let him know how I was doing.crowds,flashing lights,
sleep depravation are a few things bring on my seizures.:e:

Met with my neurologist today, saw the ER report etc etc but no clear explanation for why it happened (a lot of "it could have been due to..").

Asked about seizures and life style changes as well but neurologist was skeptical and reminded me of what you folk here have already told me (sleep, stress, don't smoke, don't drink often etc)

|-| ticking time bomb |-| :rock:

Last edited:
There's almost never a clear explanation. They'll say the usual like we did- but are almost never bothered with underlying causes.

If they didn't at least concur that your life style changes might have increased stress/sleeplessness and so possibly was a factor, they're an idiot.

Like most of them.

Seizures can happen at any age.

I am the same, I just got off a medication a month ago and now suddenly I am having a different seizure type (from the medication) and my normal medications and I am worried my medication stopped working.

Try a tweak in your meds :) I hope they get under control again

Back
Top Bottom