Wisdom Teeth and Increased Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced an increase in seizures when their wisdom teeth started coming in?

thanks, Pam

What comes to mind is something that I am learning at the EEG Institute where Rebecca is receiving neurofeedback. She has been told that her nervous system is extremely sensitive. I think it was mentioned that many with seizure disorders are similarly sensitive.

So the wisdom teeth, being quite close to many nerves I would think that this could possibly be an additional burden.

Are there also hormones raging at this time? This is a huge trigger for Rebecca.

Yes, my son will turn 17 at the end of April... He had a history of seizures at 6 months and then again at 6....both were after vaccines... the current ones started out of the blue last summer.... So Hormones are suspected by neuro, but just today we had his braces removed for a MRI tomorrow afternoon...the xrays show the Wisdom Teeth just about to break the skin and pushing on the nerve endings of the back molers.

So maybe a combination of Hormones and nerves....

Pam

.. and vaccines should now be suspect.
Does he have any silver fillings?
My daughter stopped trying to speak after her 18 mo old vaccines, and regressed again at about 6 after her boosters. Little did I know at the time that there was a connection to vaccines.

Does your son have any learning or social complications?

Look at this site:
www.stankurtz.com

Hi Pam! Welcome to the forum. :) Feel free to ask questions or vent. :) We're a pretty friendly crew. As to the wisdom teeth.....I haven't heard of that....but I know that my aides son used to have migraines, until he got braces. Now they have disappeared.

We noticed the infantile spasms a couple days after the DPT shot at 6 months and at 6 yearss - Grand Mals after an additional MMR vaccine to go into kindergarten.

And Yes he has developmental delays and social issues...doesn't fit the autism spectrum.

We noticed a significant cognitive decline after Grand Mals and Tegretol.

I have thought he fit the NLD (non verbal learning disorder) diagnosis. Neuropsych doesn't agree. Just evaluated over Dec. and they came up with 63 or was it 43 IQ (my husband and I disgree so much that I forgot exact number....as I don't think it matters) and TMH (trainable mentally handicapped). My husband and I don't necessarily agree with neuropsych.

Sam doesn't have any metal fillings in mouth.

I wonder if he has sleep apnea and need to figure out where to get him tested...would that be through the epileptologist?

We can't figure out seizure triggers, but his have primarily been at 11:30 P.M.; except this last Friday with he had 4 GM in 4 hours starting at 6:15 P.M. and if you take into account "Spring Forward" daylight savings time that would put it at 5:15...quite different than ususal.

We have an MRI tomorrow...we are going with the 3T machine with contrast instead of the 1.5T machine...it was a big deal with docs recommending different things and leaving it up to us to decide...very strange...

After that I am going to try to track down Neurofeedback, sleep apnea and the wisdom teeth issues and therapies...

Thanks for the imput.

Pam

All I know is that I had a history of childhood seizures and was off of meds for 3 years and then I got my wisdom teeth out and from that day onward I have had seizures. LAME. But, they're finally getting better.

Hi Pam,
I'm new to this website and was really interested to see your post about wisdom teeth and seizures - i'm 25 now, and had been seizure free for 2 years until a few months ago when my wisdom teeth started coming through. My epilepsy seems to be hormone-linked too. How is your son getting on now? Did you ever find any more info about wisdom teeth and seizures? My dentist laughed at me when I suggested a link at my appointment this morning, I felt like an idiot!!
Best wishes, Dionne
(Edinburgh, Scotland)

Back
Top Bottom