withdraws from tegretol

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
just got taken off tegretol and seem to be having withdrawls, is there anyway to help this and how long will it last?

were you taken off slowly?

I'm coming off tegretol too- I was on 800mg then each month they've taken 200mg away; I'm on 400mg till next month then another 200mg comes off. Have they given you anything else? I've been given Clonazepam

Nick
:)

I was on Carbatrol ER, and my dr took me off of it cold turkey! (it was when I was put into the hospital to have a VEEG) but I took it sunday night, and was admited to the hospital on a monday morning, that sunday night's dose was the last carbatrol I took! I recall having alot of shaking through out my body, and I did have seizures, but I was taken off of all medications for the VEEG, (keppra xr and carbatrol er). I probably didnt notice all the withdrawal symptoms, since I was taken off both medications and had seizures during the time I was at the hospital, but I did notice after getting off of it, I lost weight, and Im not edge with things, like I was before.

AED withdrawal side effects are usually related to how high a dose you were on, how long you were on it, and how fast you tapered off of it. The recommended withdrawal pace for Tegretol is a reduction of 25%, every two weeks. I hope you didn't go much faster than that vagellie007.

Some listed withdrawal side effects are: drowsiness, dizziness, headache, weakness, and nausea or vomiting. They should go away after 2 weeks -- if they don't, definitely let your doctor know. in the meantime, be good to yourself -- avoid stress, alcohol caffeine, get plenty of sleep and eat right.

tegretol withdrawls

been on 800mg for 20 years,i was taken off the tegretol in a 2 day period while in the hospital, first few nights were hectic, was having tremors and couldnt sleep for 3 nights straight, i'm able to rest now but i still seem to be edgy and my body feels tingly. how locg does this last ? and does it go away?? any help would be nice

Give it a few weeks -- if you're still having problems, contact your doctor.

You're welcome! I hope you feel better soon.

Back
Top Bottom