wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of thing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
it seems like it began last year when I think I was in a very clamorous and interactive environment, the city hospital ER, where I was also administered morphine for pain, but it seems sometimes like my seizures are a kind of mind control by someone else. even like I've been under some sort of hypnosis

I had a bad seizure period today, a progressive simple-> complex-> TC kind of thing (as per my mom) and that feeling comes up so often- that I didn't have a seizure but that it's mind control of some sort

it isn't rational, but I'm wondering if it may be a common experience

thanks!

Petox,

Postictal psychosis is something that happens to a few people who have seizures. Could your feeling of mind control be part of that?

...Ictal psychotic episodes can be the clinical expression of nonconvulsive recurrent seizure activity known as status epilepticus of simple partial, complex partial, or absence seizures. In the case of simple partial status, the diagnosis may often be difficult because scalp recordings may not detect any changes in ictal EEG patterns.

Postictal psychotic symptoms were reported by 7 out of 100 consecutive patients with intractable partial epilepsy in one study. These symptoms were also associated with symptoms of depression, anxiety, and disturbances in sleep and appetite. The duration of these symptoms ranged from 2 to 24 hours.

Psychotic symptoms may cluster and form postictal psychotic episodes, which may occur in 6% to 10% of patients with intractable epilepsy. More often than not, the presence of postictal psychotic episodes is suggestive of more than one seizure focus. Postictal psychotic episodes may last from several hours to several weeks. They usually remit with low doses of antipsychotic medication.

Typically, episodes of postictal psychosis occur in patients who have had epilepsy for at least 10 to 15 years. The episodes tend to follow the occurrence of clusters of generalized tonic-clonic seizures and may appear after a symptom-free lag-time of 12 to 120 hours. Usually, the first symptom is insomnia. If these episodes tend to recur after a cluster of seizures in a particular patient, family members are taught to identify the insomnia and administer antipsychotic medication at low doses, which may abort the psychotic episode. Given the episodic nature of these symptoms and rapid remission after low doses of antipsychotic medication, patients with postictal psychosis should not be prescribed continuous antipsychotic medication.

Recent studies have shown that some patients who experience recurrent postictal psychotic episodes can go on to develop interictal psychotic disorders. In those patients, long-term therapy with antipsychotic drugs may be necessary.

Among the most frequent symptoms of postictal psychosis are:
  • thought blocking (a sudden interruption in thought) and overt thought disorder, manifested by an inability to express thoughts in a coherent manner
  • illusions and formed and unformed hallucinations in different modalities (visual, auditory, olfactory, etc.)
  • paranoid, religious, and grandiose delusions
  • acute confusion

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/psysym_psychosis.html

Interictal psychosis
Thought disorder, often with delusions, halluciantions or emotional changes that are temporarily related to the occurence of seizures in people with epilepsy. Usually lasts 3-6 months.
http://professionals.epilepsy.com/glossary/393.html

Remind me, does your neurologist or psychiatrist know you have the feeling of mind control? If not, please consider calling them tomorrow and telling them.

Hang in there. I'm hoping you will be feeling better soon.

Last edited:
I have experienced psychosis during seizures. I would look at my arms and they were transparent and the veins were black. So when everything from anxiety, depression to psychosis can happen, I would guess feeling of being mind being controlled can occur too. Does the experience end, when the seizure ends? Hugs Malla

I have tle that causes psychosis. Something similar I go through ( though I dont think its tle...just paranoia)......

Years back when going through my diagnosis I was having constant partial seizures and had to gi to the ER. When the meds were being adminis to me I got really suspicious of the guy with the needle. I thi.k at the time it was due to the seizure. However whenever I go through a health issue now..fo ex. Swollen glands...i suspect he did something to me way back then and he pops back into my head.

Scary

I have experienced psychosis during seizures. I would look at my arms and they were transparent and the veins were black. So when everything from anxiety, depression to psychosis can happen, I would guess feeling of being mind being controlled can occur too. Does the experience end, when the seizure ends? Hugs Malla

I have periods of postictal (mainly) dips in reality/timeframe/sequence, which are easiest summed up in the "deja vu" category - but not really - that experience continues now at times - it can be consuming - and it leaves me confused whether to focus on it to "solve" something about it, or to just let it slide

it is a good/bad sensation, like a freefall - but like I need to figure out that I need to pull the ripcord, or if I should just brush off the sensation

a bit like right now asamatteroffact

I've felt the same way...like someone else is gently controlling my brain from afar at the onset of a seizure and immediately afterwards - or even during temporary lapses between seizures in succession, when I've temporarily regained some level of consciousness. I blame it on solar/geomagnetic activity though, and I find this sensation rather peaceful, calming when it occurs.

Even with my OCD, I feel like someone else is controlling my brain, only with these OCD 'brain-control' incidences, I feel agitated and angry at the sensation and want it to go away.

Seizures though, I've read, are the brain's way of trying to correct something electrically and/or metabolically wrong in the brain...sort of like a jump start towards correction, that's how I look at it. In ways I miss having seizures because now I've interfered with my only hope of ever being released from the thralls of OCD.

What surprised me in the quote I posted is that

Psychotic symptoms may cluster and form postictal psychotic episodes, which may occur in 6% to 10% of patients with intractable epilepsy... Postictal psychotic episodes may last from several hours to several weeks.

It sounds like you've got lots of company and that you are not alone in this.

I've felt the same way...like someone else is gently controlling my brain from afar at the onset of a seizure and immediately afterwards - or even during temporary lapses between seizures in succession, when I've temporarily regained some level of consciousness. I blame it on solar/geomagnetic activity though, and I find this sensation rather peaceful, calming when it occurs.

similar maybe but not quite the same as I've been experiencing - seems like it has been getting exponentially worse over the past year - not sure what if anything is real anymore - actions and interactions all irrelevant - everything contrived, planned, like someone erasing, deleting aspects of my life at their whim for why I don't know

What surprised me in the quote I posted is that

Quote :
Psychotic symptoms may cluster and form postictal psychotic episodes, which may occur in 6% to 10% of patients with intractable epilepsy... Postictal psychotic episodes may last from several hours to several weeks.

It sounds like you've got lots of company and that you are not alone in this.

at times I'm not even sure I have epilepsy or seizures and that it's something external that has been controlling my mind - blacking me out for some unknown purpose - to alter things while I'm gone

Back
Top Bottom