worried and question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

horsehead

New
Reaction score
Over the last couple of days I've had three seizures and several times where my body will jerk like my hand or leg and last night my whole body was convulsing but i was awake during it.It only happened for a couple of seconds. Here is my concern if I go in to the doctors and get a dx will they automactically take my licence?My son is special needs and I'm the only one who can take him to his therapy appt.My husband goes away on business alot and I really dont have any family or friends here.I'm very worried please tell me everything will be ok.

It depends on how severe the seizures are and the laws in the state you live in.

A lot depends upon which state you live in. Some states have mandatory reporting and others do not. You can research your state's law from here:

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/living/wellness/transportation/drivinglaws.cfm

If you don't see a doctor and get the seizures under control, it may end up being a moot point as to whether you get reported or not. If your seizure activity gets worse, you might end up in a position where you cannot adequately care for your son because you are seizing or post-ictal all the time.

Is there a church or other community group near you that might offer some support? Sounds like it's time to meet the neighbors.

That is very true.I dont want to hurt myself and especially anyone else while driving if I have a seizure. I have not had one while driving yet but they do seem to be happening alot more lately.I do know my neighbors but they work . I guess I could ask my sons theripists if they know of anyone that could help me as far as getting around.Thankyou for the site I will check it out.

Yes it looks like they would take my license. I would have to be seizure free for 6 months to get it renewed.

if you have a prior warning that is long enough to give you time to pull off the side of the road they won't take your license away. Plus by the time you get the physical and send it back something like 3 months of your 6 months will already be up

I do have auras for the gran mal seizures. i get sick to my stomach, very hot and sweaty and tingly.

Not all states are like what darkmarkshark said. Some states pull your license right away.

I don't want my daughter to drive unless she is seizure free for a year.

Back
Top Bottom