Yawning

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dfwtexas

New
Reaction score
The first thing I notice before the seizure starts is uncontrollable yawning. I have searched the forum and not found anything about this. Does this happen to any of ya'll?

What you're feeling is normal. We all go through that sometimes. For some people it's a warning sign(aura) before a seizure happens. Sometimes your medication can cause that. Some medicine can cause extreme drowsiness.

Actually I've never gone through that. I know I'm more likely to have a seizure when I'm tired but uncontrollable yawning was never a part of it.

I guess it's a good way for me to have my family keep an eye on me if they notice the yawning. (It 's continuous yawning for 3-5 mintues, so it is very noticeable)
I started a low dose of Keppra a few months ago and didn't have any drowisness with it, but as soon as doc upped the dose, I got the sleepies. I read about B6 somewhere on here and now I take that with my morning dose of Keppra and the sleepies are gone.

Thanks for that link....that explained why I yawn excessively prior to a seizure!

JGP,
I feel like that when I cannot hardly keep my eyes open and really cannot stop yawning. If I don't lay down or fight it off..it gets worse for me. Mine are mostly nocturnal seizures as far as the bad ones..and that can be a precursor for me. I will feel like that in the afternoon/early evening. That was one of the things I always mentioned to Drs. before I was properly diagnosed...that went on for a number of yrs.(telling the symptoms etc. ) I definitely have certain things I feel earlier in the day and then it'll come that night.

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom