Zebinix

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Fedup

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
Zebinix is a drug I never heard of so when it was suggested I try it I was very apprehensive for a lot of reasons. When you start taking Zebinix it has to be taking after you have eaten something - like all/most all anti epileptic medication - with a drink of water, there is however a watershed. Let me explain if you are supposed to take it at 8 in the morning you have until 12 noon to take it but it must always be after you eat something, it has a few worrying side effects but the ones which effected me at the start was the feeling of nausea after taking it and once or twice this went on to actually getting sick, this tends to go but from time to time you do feel a bit of nausea but it passes. Then you have the tiredness or lack of energy but (and its only my opinion) if you make yourself get up and do something it does not matter what even a small walk.

But the hardest part for me is the falling asleep, it just happens no matter where you are and you can try fight it and say not today or not now but you are still going to fall asleep no matter how you try, even typing this is a struggle, these are probably the hardest for me but not the worst the most worrying for me is the the effect it can have on your eyesight (usually only one eye) this has happened with me. My eyesight has deteriorated in my right eye and at the moment I am getting that looked after I hope, it does have its benefits especially when I am asked to clean the windows out side, I ask what window or to make a cup of tea "which kettle do I use" just me being lazy mind you it does not work much any more :roflmao: no harm in trying. I am willing to put up with the tiredness and being sleepy, I am fairly confident I can overcome the sleepiness piece the tiredness part I did before as well. My eye sight is the only thing that really worries me a lot.

Now as a Drug Zebinix seems to be good but as with all medication it depends on the person, it seems to wait until a seizure starts and boom it stops the physical appearance but you can still kind of feel the seizure - its hard explain it - but I still have had seizures. But yes I would say it has its benefits and is probably good for some. It only comes in 800 mg tablets and 1200 mg is the recommended max amount so now I know why they want me on 1600 mg along with everything else I am taking.

Thanks for the report on the Zebinix, Liam. Is it fully controlling your seizures? If so, that would be awesome! I know what you mean about the eyesight issues though. Of all the side effects I experience on Lamictal, the blurry vision is the most distressing. My right eye also seems to be affected more than my left, though vision in both is not what it was before starting on the Lamictal six years ago. My vision was perfect then -- 20/20 -- and the blurriness started fairly soon after I went on the med. I've put off seeing the eye doc though. It's not covered by insurance, and for now I can still get by without glasses -- if I squint.

Nakamova

Controlling my seizures? No not really I still get seizures. What its doing is stopping the physically effects, you know the body movement but its not actually stopping the seizures for me. I tell you, Saturday I had a seizure and I felt it, the dribbling (which I do anyway - just depends on the side I lie on) but no body movement so my wife said I did not have a seizure but mentally I blacked out and the groaning was still there, you knew you were after having a seizure you were still tired and sore all over and the headache. But on Monday (I think it was) before Saturday I had the usual seizure, I say usual because its usual to me, I have cut my forehead above my right eye just under the hair line. Do not ask me how I have no idea, the short truthful answer to your question is No.

I'm sorry to hear that. :( It sounds like the Zebinix might be helping a tiny tiny tiny bit, but it's still pretty lousy overall. I hope the neuro (assuming you ever get to actually talk to him) has some other treatment ideas up his sleeve.

Nakamova

Other treatment ideas you got to be joking me when I cannot even get a letter. I really hope he has some idea Nakamova because I have none, could do with your ideas to be honest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom