Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Need more soil to make any significant impact

• It's too much physical effort

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alivenwell

Veteran
Reaction score
Thought I'd pose this question because it's almost time to dig up dirt and plant fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs, or just nice looking greenery.

well not me really. the hubby got it started. not out for our garden out front, we will get to that in a few weeks. he did start in little greenhouse thingies with strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, peas, parsley and another herb. Plus some forget-me-nots and a few something elses (i forget) for our backyard flower boxes.

All its done here is ... Rain rain and more rain ... so no waiting for the sunshine !!
Makes me laugh cause the news are still saying were in a hose pipe ban and a bad drought .... but all the brooks have burst their banks and rivers are really high !!!! ...there's loads of rain !!!

Just put a new veggie garden out front. I did the double dig method, which involves digging out the first few feet of top soil and then loosening the subsoil with a pitchfork to only then throw all the topsoil back on top. It’s a lot of work but its suppose to double or triple the gardens yield. I also look at it as a good workout. Now I have peas, spinach, kale. lettuces, radishes, parsnips, carrots and swiss chard growing. Started some peppers and leeks inside. Once it gets warmer I'll get tomatoes and eggplants. I tell my wife I'm suburban homesteading. Maybe someday we will go off the grid as long as there is a pharmacy that has done the same. We will work off the barter system, trading goods and services. So yah, that’s the plan…. or not…..

I don't have any green space (I'm in a condo). But I did just plant some purple shamrock for indoor. Easy to grow, and I love how the leaves open up during the day and close down at night.

grass

well,having two tomatoe.Nos grow last year,I realize I don't have a green thumb,nor rich soil,I spent the morning picking up weeds-----anyone know how to get the grass to grow?

Just put down astro turf and tell people it is an ultra durable grass hybrid. Then you can occasionally go out and run the vacuum cleaner on your lawn while dogging perplexed glances from your neighbors :D.

No, but I have a small forest in my cubicle at work. lol
I've got a huge spider plant with tons of babies, a smaller spider plant, two different types of Chinese Evergreen, a prayer plant, two vine things that I don't know the names of, a nasturtium which grows inches every day and is climbing up a pole right now, and a prickly pear cactus.

Last edited:
i'm sure that as soon as the rainy season ends,someone will be able to give me advice.meanwhile the part of grass without grass looks so sad.keep me informed,

I have two tomato plants... bought them big and planted deep so I am hoping for a few anyway. Back a few years I used to plant a cut flower garden using only seeds. I loved the rows of flowers. It took almost all summer for some of them to bloom, but it was very satisfying and just pretty to look at.

i'm sure that as soon as the rainy season ends,someone will be able to give me advice.meanwhile the part of grass without grass looks so sad.keep me informed,

Is the dead spot under a tree or out in open sun?

The rainy season is the best time to plant grass. Try raking the dead section to expose some soil, the throw some seed down. Make sure its stays moist and after a week or two, little grassies will start poking up. Or just rip up the lawn and pave the whole area. There is nothing like waking up in the morning and staring at a sea of asphalt.... beautiful.

Our backyard is too big of a desaster that it would take months before I could even think about gardening. Hopefully by this fall it will atleast be in decent shape. Does anyone know of any Fall fruits or vegetables that can be planted during that time of season?

Here’s a quick list, but just search cold weather crops. Depending on where you live in Cali, you might be able to grow them through the winter.

• Asparagus pea
• Beets (warm and cool seasons)
• Broccoli
• Brussels sprouts
• Cabbage
• Carrots (warm and cool seasons)
• Cauliflower
• Celeriac
• Celery
• Chinese greens
• Fava beans
• Kale
• Kohlrabi
• Lettuce
• Onion
• Parsnip
• Peas
• Radishes (warm and cool seasons)
• Rhubarb
• Rutabagas
• Spinach
• Swiss chard
• Turnips

Here’s a quick list, but just search cold weather crops. Depending on where you live in Cali, you might be able to grow them through the winter.

• Asparagus pea
• Beets (warm and cool seasons)
• Broccoli
• Brussels sprouts
• Cabbage
• Carrots (warm and cool seasons)
• Cauliflower
• Celeriac
• Celery
• Chinese greens
• Fava beans
• Kale
• Kohlrabi
• Lettuce
• Onion
• Parsnip
• Peas
• Radishes (warm and cool seasons)
• Rhubarb
• Rutabagas
• Spinach
• Swiss chard
• Turnips

Wow, there's lots to choose from. Thanks

Don't thank me, thank the internet

Ahhh, the internet, making regular people sound like experts since the early 90's.

Last edited:
Hi: Just an idea for those whose soil is not good or who live in an apartment. There is a tomato called "patio" that is very dark green and made just for planting in a medium patio pot. It stays short and the tomatos are maybe about 5 ounces and very good. Very easy to grow. Plus the plant is quite attractive for a tomato

Here in FL our seasons are different. 2 seasons, late fall and late winter/early spring. If we can manage to get through the one or two frosts, we're in luck; but the heat of summer it's usually too hot, so try to be done by then. Some plants (broccoli, peppers, tomatoes) might last 2 seasons and produce. Currently I have broccoli producing, zucchini and beans flowering, tomatoes growing. This time I added compost and peat to the soil (mostly sand) and it helped. My garden is about 25' x 25' raised.

the heat of summer it's usually too hot

I have always thought that summer in Florida is similar to winter in the north, no one wants to be outside. I guess Floridian nights are nice though.. So maybe they're not that similar... Why am I still typing.....

I'm in a condo too now. Even when I had a lot of land, I wasn't such a great farmer. I was lucky to have tomatoes and zucchini, a few corn, and some beautiful small pumpkins.

Now that I have more time, I wish I had some dirt to dig in.
I just found this product:
http://www.aplusrstore.com/product.php?id=550

Back
Top Bottom