Anyone have or had other health issues caused by seizure meds?

What is the most amount of seizures you've had in one day?

• 1-2

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • 2-4

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • 4-6

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • 6-8+

Votes: 26 43.3%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Found this very interesting. I've been on dilantin and phenobarbitol a short time. Then Mysoline, Tegretol the longest, now trileptal. I have osteoporosis, very bad gerd, just diagnosed with hypothyroidism, bad skin problems (excema stuff) and constipation for years and years.

Who knows what caused what. Oh, gum disease now too. I'm very much aware that my health could be worse. For that I'm grateful.

I'm really beginning to believe the Gluten theory from experience. Have been 100% GF for a week now and within 4 days of starting, my stomach is no longer bothering me! I was dropping the deuces up to 3x a day but now maybe once a day. Yea I know, TMI!!!

I'm sure you've tried the diet?

dilantin causes psychosis for me, a bit unpleasent.
even more so since it the usually the first treatment for epilepsy.
other than that, mostly the usual side effects.

I watch my diet and work out, still have high blood pressure, hospital would not let me out because of it once. machine goes up noticeably when ever a hot nurse walks in. doesnt say much for me,

topamax was constipation for a long time, caused so much concern i had a colonoscopy done. :) all was good.

lamotrigine for the first year caused massive hair issues. doesn't help that mine is down to my bum either. hair would knot to the point it was unbrushable unless i used handfuls of the thickest conditioner, then when brushing it, handfuls of hair fell out. hurt like hell, had me in tears many times.

i'm aware of long-term tegretol use and bone thinning, so went for the bone density scan after nine years of being on it and so far so good. will def have the test done every two years or so now to be sure. scary stuff.

wow these are all scary, i didnt think you could get such bad things :(
i get bleeding gums and i noticed my teeth are always needing fillings dunno if thats due to it or not, manic depression and extreme tiredness.... the list goes on but they not as bad as what some of you have :(

its actually shocking me! dont u think these tabs are hell tabs??
i certainly never got told about long term use of them!

YEP, i agree. would be one thing to cause long-term health affects, IF, they made us seizure free. i'd prob take that. but, they don't even do that the fuckers.

amotrigine for the first year caused massive hair issues. doesn't help that mine is down to my bum either. hair would knot to the point it was unbrushable unless i used handfuls of the thickest conditioner, then when brushing it, handfuls of hair fell out. hurt like hell, had me in tears many times.

I'm back on lamotrigine. I was on it last summer took me off during the video eeg and never put me back on it. now i'm back to ramping up to 300 mg a day. I can't afford to have hair problems there's not much left! The Keppra makes me very ugly. Im not talking looks The poor dog gets the brunt of that. Best thing is she never holds it against me!

i am weaning of tegrotol, and having hair issues,

I have runny stool which my neuro said is caused my one of the meds I'm on.

Had pcso on the drugs many years ago I forget what I ways on gabapentin?

Now Keppra, Zonismide and Clobazmide all make me crazy.

Q

My current meds are Depakote ER 2000 mg daily, Zonegran 400 mg daily, Cymbalta 60 mg daily.
I have experienced hair loss, shaking hands, concentration issues, memory, early osteoporosis, arthritis, stomach and bowel issues, weight loss& gain, sleep problems and depression.

I have been on Depakote since 1983, been on Topamax, Vimpat, Phenobarbitol, & a couple others. The one's I'm currently on are working well, so why change?
Terri

I've had weight losss, weight gain,diarrhea threw up like crazy with Felbatol.
Mysoline made me mean this just what I remember.

I used to have think hair, now it's baby fine and its fallin out. I haven't gained or lost any weight from my meds. and I am always tired always.

Tegretol -didn't help with my partials. on for 5yrs
Depakote- gave me tremmors 2 mos
Keppra -alone living hell psychosis 2yrs
current meds:
lamictal -works
Vimpat- works

I found a website that might be of interest to many of you...

http://www.askapatient.com/

I have been able to find out alot of information on medications there. Perhaps it may be able to help many of you as well?

Terri

Thank you nightowl47 i like that web site for patient experience-info on drugs.

Again thanks for all the replies everybody! More answers welcome.

I've been on trileptal, topamax, and now for the fibromyalgia, lyrica. I have had memory problems, pancreatitis, teeth problems (had one dentist in front of me call me "meth mouth"), major sleep issues, mood problems, and inability to hold a job. Talk about feeling like a major waste on your family.

I updated information in my profile about my history of epilepsy... I've been having these memory issues, and my doctor has been reducing me off of keppra xr because of it and been seizure free so far at least that I am aware of. But mainly fatigue and memory loss are the main side effects I get.

Back
Top Bottom