Anyone have or had other health issues caused by seizure meds?

What is the most amount of seizures you've had in one day?

• 1-2

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • 2-4

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • 4-6

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • 6-8+

Votes: 26 43.3%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Don't know if this is a long suppressed side effect of Trileptal or what. But in past couple months I've been noticing my hair thinning. The weird thing, it's only happening on one side. You'd think it would be the same side I had the surgery on, but it's not.

Could it be caused by the Trileptal that my body isn't using? Who knows?

I'm gonna ask my new neurologist about this when I go to my next appt.

Tegretol felt to me like the worst hangover in the world only it never ends, nausea, lethargy, headaches.
Better now on a combo of Phenobarbitol and Depakote.

Oh yeah, ALL of it! Thinning hair, Osteoporosis because of the Depakote ER, memory issues, sleeping problems (due to the Zonegran - add on medication), & Neuro prescribed Transform but u why take another med? Right?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

My neurologist seems to be worried about me taking Trileptal. Something about it messing up my liver. She took me off it. Only problem is it really helped control my seizures. I had a blood test last week and have an appointment to see my neurologist in a couple days. I am hoping I can go back on the Trileptal.

Keppra

- migraines
- insomnia
- memory
- temper

Keppra has given me kidney problems as well as the rest George has.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) also causes kidney problems.

Dilantin gave me Steven-Johnson Syndrome.

I had been told that the osteopenia I had was from the chemo I had (kind of a necessary evil at the time).

Now my new neurologist is telling me that the chemo probably didn't help any but wouldn't have caused osteopenia (in a 45 year old woman at that time) all by itself.

He is concerned that the phono + valproic acid I've been taking for years may be harming my bones and has ordered a new DEXA scan to assess.

Decades a go when I went on these meds, *nobody* said word one about this.
Grrrrr........

AlohaBird, sounds like you need a MRI of your bones. A MRI shows up much more.

Chemo is considered A necessary evil, just like our epilepsy medicines are. We have to take the good with the bad.

AlohaBird, sounds like you need a MRI of your bones. A MRI shows up much more.

Chemo is considered A necessary evil, just like our epilepsy medicines are. We have to take the good with the bad.
A DEXA scan is specifically for bone density.
http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/guide/dexa-scan

It would be nice though, when considering if an "evil" is a necessary one or not, we were given all the information so we could make informed decisions.

I want to right to name what I myself consider to be a necessary evil. Nobody else can tell me what a necessary evil is except ME. I cannot do right by myself if the doctor does not divulge the information required so that I can make MY decisions that are appropriate for ME. Nobody can do that for me. And what worries me is my growing belief that neurologists, in particular, do not actually have the information about drug side effects, for instance, that we suppose they have. So when a neurologist appears to be an arrogant bully, I have tended to think that he has the backup of scientific knowledge. I am less and less convinced of that.

Keppra has given me kidney problems as well as the rest George has.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) also causes kidney problems.

Dilantin gave me Steven-Johnson Syndrome.

Keppra did nothing for me.

Trileptal gave me Steven-Johnson :(

Valporate (Depakine + Orfiril) on the long term caused swollen + bleeding gums, constipation, weight gain and bruising

Toparimate (Topamax) made him refuse to drink (bad for kidney's)

Ethosuximide (Ethymal + Zarontin) caused hallucinations and insomnia

Levetiracetam (Keppra) caused insomnia, hyperactivity and anxiousness

Lamotrigine (Lamictal) caused itching and dry skin

Phenobarbital (Luminal) caused lethargy, sleepiness, drowsiness

Felbamate (Taloxa) caused fainting, non response, slow breathing, bad saturation

Clobazam (Frisium) caused insomnia, hyperactivity, loud yelling and addiction

The ketogenic diet causes constipation and less length growth

Last edited:
Well, seems like we have a hodgepodge of other conditions and stuff to deal with. Constipation is worse, occasionally goes the other way...

Eye dr. says I have dry eyes now and must use drops 3X a day. He said it's a side effect of trileptal. I'm not getting any smarter or remembering more that's for sure. And I'm anxious quite a bit and angry a LOT.

Nobody mentioned the possibility that I could end up with a B12 deficiency from taking Zonisamide, which in my case ended me up with pernicious anemia. B12 deficiency and pernicious anemia offer many attractions that may or may not be permanent even when the B12 is replaced. Lack of B12 can do a number on your thought processes. Tegretol caused diarrhea and zonisamide caused constipation. And a high fat [Ketogenic] diet is counterindicated when using zonisamide.[ It results in constant urination, among other thing.] Zonisamide also is associated with nystagmus and memory problems. I have mentioned elsewhere that while on Zonisamide I experienced hostility toward myself and others that was so marked and so uncharacteristic of me that in the midst of my zonisamide upset I had the one sane thought that perhaps the problem was the drug. There is more, but unfortunately I can't remember what it is!

It's a good thing you had that one sane thought.^^^^

Speaking of things it would have been nice if somebody had mentioned as risks.

I just found out yesterday that Tegretol (which was the first med I was put on back in college) also makes birth control pills less effective. It also increases the risk of an early term miscarriage. That would have been nice to know.

During that time I had an episode of two missed cycles in a row followed by horrendous pain and cramping as things started up again none of which was normal for me.

So, it's pretty clear I had a miscarriage.

This guinea pig is not happy. :(

Sorry to read you've had a MC ... Hugs to you AB...
Yes, Tegretol, I've learned interferes with the effectiveness with the mini pill and pill. The reason I've known is that I've had a right saga with my girls break through bleeding .

Clobazam.. Went nuts awful violent behaviour.
Epilum... Weight gain , zombie doped out in day time
Clonidine .. Ist ever drug used only for short term use.. When I think back my girl gained weight on this.
Tegretol .. Promoted being a drug used for many yrs.. But interferes with contraceptive hormonal control of menstruation, weight gain, hallucination, night terrors, increased dose resulted in very loose watery bowels, just an awful time not happy.
Keppra.. Used very short term agitation, insomnia, aggression.

Currently on Trileptal seems to be controlling seizures better, but I'm mindful of all side effects, such as sodium, calcium depletion. Nutrients controlled via the FODMAP diet for IBS and specific supplements to lessen severity of side effects.
Something I can relate to Bigman is the changes in skin and hair, seems cause increased cradle cap like / dandruff symptoms. I use anti dandruff stuff that's kinder to my girls skin and scalp.

Last edited:
Just another thought..
Silica colloidal gel can be used go support and maintain strong bones and teeth, it plays a beneficial role in the calcium metabolism. Also, promotes, health growth and maintenance of connective tissue, skin, nails, hair and joint cartilage.

Interesting to see all the meds taken by others, and scary to remember so many that I have taken over the years. :ponder:

Back
Top Bottom