Anyone have a pet that stays with you during a seizure?

Which pet do you like better?

• Cat

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Dog

Votes: 32 64.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mspang

Stalwart
Reaction score
Back in 2006 I got a cat that's always been with me during a seizure. Just thought this was an interesting question. Anyone have a pet that's with you during a seizure?

I had a cat that slept with me but he was very particular-slept where HE wanted & how he wanted. One day I had a huge seizure in the middle of the day so I went to go sleep after. The cat followed me & cuddled up with me. When I went to pull him towards me I expected him to jump off the bed but he went limp & let me hold him.

The 2nd time that happened he was sitting against the wall where the living room met the dining room (where he never sits), and again he followed me to bed after the seizure.

The next time I saw him sitting there just staring at me I sure enough had another large seizure. No matter how I felt I could tell when a big seizure was coming by how he sat in that one place watching me and waiting for it.

I bought a puppy about a year and a half into these strange episodes that the doctors could not or would not take the time to listen to me about. I like to tell people that she taught me to sit before I taught her to sit! There were times when she would follow me around crying and acting odd until I would sit down. It wasn't until I was diagnosed and went into status, that I realized what she was about! I have such a smart little girl. I found a trainer, and now she goes with me every where, and enables me to drive-which is a really big deal to me. The funny thing is that I was not planning on getting her. My dog had died 6 week before. I was at the mall, and always take a peek at the puppies. Something kept bringing me back to her. Finally I gave in-paid a rediculous price for a mixed breed (peek a poo) but she is the sweetest, and best thing to happen to me. I love her with all my heart, and am so thankful for bringing her home.

I have a Black Lab named Annie, she is almost 9 months old. I have had six seizures since Ive had her, but only three around her. Two of them were in my sleep and she was in her kennel so I have no idea how she acted. The other one I was sitting in my recliner and dont really recall her acting strange, but I remember little about that day. Ill have to ask my room mate how she acted since he was there as well.

Hi, mspang :) I've had 2 dogs who've been kind enough to protect me during & after a seizure. 1 was a border collie who was staying @ my brother's house the same time I was. I could feel the seizure coming, so Digby (dog's name), hustled me into the corner of the bedroom where there was no furniture & leaned against me. During the night, he'd check up on me to make sure I was doing okay--I felt him sniff my hand & rest his head on my chest. I could also see his shadow & hear him resting against the door. The 2nd time was my black lab, curley--I had passed out & my head hit a manhole cover in the middle of the street. He waited for me to wake up & walked right next to me as we walked home together. He was so difficult to let go when it was time for him to let The Man Upstairs take care of him. I've missed him everyday since 2007.

Sorry to hear of you losing him. They become so much a part of the family, and never live long enough. They are very amazing with their abilities.

Usually when I have a seizure I'll lay down on the couch afterwards. I have a cat who will come up and lay on me until I feel ok again. It's as if he's saying "You're not feeling good enough to be moving around the house so I'm going to keep you laying on the couch till you are!!!!!"

My dogs are very sensitive to my seizures and will lay with me till they pass, but years ago I was on horseback (yeah I know, not wise) when I seized and went over head first. That horse stood like a statue till they could move me!

We got a (wild) cat in 1996 in WA state that had been caught in a skunk trap. Our other cat had been hit and killed by the city bus so our daughters (myself and husband) were devestated and wanted another cat. :-( My friend called me to let me know that her vet had a cat that seemed friendly, and needed a home. I went to her vet's office after I dropped my daughters off at school to see about this cat. They weren't sure about the age of the cat and this was before I was diagnosed with epilepsy or before I had seizures. We adopted the cat (we named her Tazz) and once I began having seizures in 2000 she would follow me closely during the day and that night I would have seizure. I only had nocturnal seizures. She is still alive and we think she is around 18 years old. Since I had the right temporal lobectomy and I haven't had a seizure she doesn't follow me around. However, I am still always watching to see what she is doing and where she is. If she starts following me around again, I am going to make sure I get plenty of rest and lower my stress level (if I am stressed at the time):ponder: Animals have an instinct for these types of things and are lifesavers!!:e:

I have heard of cats alerting their owners however I am a devout dog person (no offense). That being said, back in '98 our 'other' adopted dog was on a walk with me when I had a full grand mal on the sidewalk at night. The good thing was Harry was with me, the problem was he would not allow ANYONE near me including the paramedics! (The ole 'I don't know you! and I can't read a badge') He just barked and barked while standing over me. I still cry thinking about his devotion ( he has passed several years ago) His barking was what alerted my husband who was the only one that could reach me with Harry's permission. ( Love ya Harry ) I hope God has a special place for special pets!

I was always a dog person too paradise survivor. We had a wild cat, who we pretty much had tamed, who had kittens in the bushes outside our house. We started letting them in the house every so often and then they just ended up in the house permently. This is what made me a cat person, still love dogs too though.

As I said above, my cat will make me lay down on the couch and stay on top of me until I'm able to move around again. It's amazing what they know and will do.

I have a dog who's always by my side. She's very sensitive to many different types of stimulus, so, yes, I would say she could sense something wrong.
I've heard that some pets either see, hear or smell something different prior to a seizure.

She seems to be able to sense a thunderstorm (possible change in atmospheric pressure, hearing thunder many miles away, hearing leaves turn, etc.).

I think animals have an instinctive sense that is inborn which makes them extremely sensitive to changes in their environment. It's probably a survival technique from when their ancestors lived in the wild.

I got myself a dog to keep me company. He is a dachshund. I love him so much.
after getting him it was about 3 months, He started having seizures. So we are both on medic.

When I have a bad day, seizure, depression he gets close to me and just looks at me. He didn't bark wanting his toys or treats. He just gets quite, stays close to me.

I use to think when people said things like dogs knew things.
I thought RIGHT.
Now I know what those people were talking about.

He is getting older now, he is 11, Oh what a blessing he is to me.

I have two dogs a black lab and a long haired chiuaua. Any time I was going to have a seizure that day my black lab would stay by my side never leave me alone, sometimes he would even follow me into the bathroom (which he didn't do normally). When we got the chiauaua she keyed in on what the lab would do and start following me as well. Both dogs would stay by me through the seizures. After about a month of them both doing this we decided to get them certified to be service dogs for my epilepsy.
I believe some animals key into things and see things we don't always see. Maybe we are too busy or stressed or just oblivious of what is going on or maybe it is a sense of danger the animal senses, but in any case I love having the dogs around and they have helped me in so many cases.

I have a husky mix who can tell, she even reminds me to take my meds, and will lay with e if I dont feel right.
I consider her a service dog in training, she does amazing in public and is welcome everywhere I go.

Back
Top Bottom