• Affects me frequently

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • My Atonic (Drop Attacks) are uncontrolled / poorly controlled

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • My Atonic (Drop Attacks) are controlled

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Atonic (Drop Attacks) restricts me from doing things I would like to do

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I am on too many / too little medication(s)

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I am undergoing alternative methods

• I feel that Atonic (Drop Attacks) have ruined my life

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I feel that Atonic (Drop Attacks) isolates me

• I've been declared intractable / refractory

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
ATONIC (aka Drop Attacks) SEIZURES / ATONIC EPILEPSY

Here are some partial quotes:

ATONIC SEIZURES - Epilepsy Foundation

Atonic seizures produce an abrupt loss of muscle tone. Other names for this type of seizure include drop attacks, astatic or akinetic seizures. They produce head drops, loss of posture, or sudden collapse. Because they are so abrupt, without any warning, and because the people who experience them fall with force, atonic seizures can result in injuries to the head and face. Protective headgear is sometimes used by children and adults; the seizures tend to be resistant to drug therapy. No first aid is needed (unless there is injury from the fall), but if this is a first atonic seizure, the child should be given a thorough medical evaluation.

ATONIC SEIZURES by Epilepsy.com

Muscle "tone" is the muscle's normal tension. "Atonic" (a-TON-ik) means "without tone," so in an atonic seizure, muscles suddenly lose strength. The eyelids may droop, the head may nod, and the person may drop things and often falls to the ground. These seizures are also called "drop attacks" or "drop seizures." The person usually remains conscious.

Another name for this type of seizure is "akinetic" (a-kin-ET-ik), which means "without movement."

Who gets them?

Atonic seizures often begin in childhood.

What's the outlook?

They often last into adulthood. Many people with atonic seizures are injured when they fall, so they may choose to use protection such as a helmet.

What else could it be?

Patients who have seizures that cause them to fall when they're standing often have tonic seizures (involving sudden muscle contraction) rather than atonic seizures.

How is the diagnosis made?

Usually descriptions of the seizures by witnesses will suggest the diagnosis. Some EEG monitoring may be performed to confirm it. If the seizures persist, other tests may be used to make sure that changes in the heart rhythm or blood pressure are not causing the patient to fall down.

Topic Editor: Orrin Devinsky, M.D.

Feel free to bring about any discussion as
you wish, and you may click on the links above
to learn more in details.

The Poll is PRIVATE and you can vote as many
options as it applies to you.

I have Atonic Epilepsy, but they are so isolated,
only getting them once in a "blue moon" insomuch
that my Neurologists don't even heed to it anymore
but when I was younger, I used to get them a lot.

I still get them ocassionally. I hate when they do happen. I use to have to wear a helmet cause of them.

Only got them at the beginning. My progression was from atonic to absence to myoclonic to tonic clonic and back to myoclonic. The first few times i ignored them , thinking i must have tripped on something , because they always happened when i was playing football with my friends. Then one day i was stationary and just fell on my face and bust my lip. NOT a pretty sight. anyway, never got them after epilim.

The first few times i ignored them , thinking i must have tripped on something , because they always happened when i was playing football with my friends. Then one day i was stationary and just fell on my face and bust my lip. NOT a pretty sight.

Curious Doc?

How many sutures (stitches) have you
had as a result from Atonics? I've had
4 places because of that, and plus a
hairline fracture (don't ask), and several
chipped front teeth. More "bops in the
old noggin's", sprains, strains, bruises,
and scrapes from these...

*sigh*

And most of mine were "on the move",
and often I was playing sports when these
attacks hit me, I don't think I've ever been
"stationary" when the Atonic had struck,
if I was, I don't remember ....

(I do have sutures and other injuries
from T/C's but those are different areas)

Last edited:
Stitched my lip together(3) but otherwise no sutures. Plenty of deep cuts , but in the moronic world of teenage boys , these are merit badges - so no stitches. I have a NASTY cut on my leg that i didn't get stitched and wouldn't stop bleeding , and no one was at home to help. i took three band aids and put them tightly across the wound to appose the edges and wrapped a pressure bandage around it . A week later i have a wicked looking scar! Still think it looks cool:)

Stitched my lip together(3) but otherwise no sutures. Plenty of deep cuts , but in the moronic world of teenage boys , these are merit badges - so no stitches. I have a NASTY cut on my leg that i didn't get stitched and wouldn't stop bleeding , and no one was at home to help. i took three band aids and put them tightly across the wound to appose the edges and wrapped a pressure bandage around it . A week later i have a wicked looking scar! Still think it looks cool:)

Careful Now Doc...

Bernard's bound to see this post, and post
that hilarious You Tube!

*groans*

I have some nasty scars myself too, but on
my face ... *sigh* - I have to wear make up
to hide those because they are unsightly and
I'm embarrassed about them, but not so much
worried about all over my other parts of my body.

Over here, some people have mistook it as
"Spouse Abuse" thinking it was my (ex) husband
who did it, and he didn't. Epilepsy did, so trust me
my (ex) hubby and I had our fill trying to explain
every one why I had this or that ... it was wiser for
me to just stay home and recover than it was to
go out to the general public (unless it was absolutely
necessary that I had to go out).

In the last year Lindsay has developed them. They are TERRIFYING to me. Lindsay's had E for 8 yrs and never got anything worse than a bruise here or there. In less than a year she's nearly broken her nose, fell down stairs requiring a CTscan and 6 staples in her head, and fell onto the hardwood floor on her face and broke her tooth requiring oral surgery. Linds won't wear a helmet so mom follows her around like a nut job.:rolleyes:

We are working on the drops. We are changing from Keppra (very slowly) to Depakote. Dep is supposed to be more helpful.

We may try VNS. I need to look into it more. A neighbor, also an internist, had a son (he died 2yrs ago) who had lissencephaly. His seizures were very evil to him. Anyway he had a VNS. So I plan on talking to him. Also the neuro gave me a name of a person in Buffalo that councils people about VNS.

Since on Depakote (knock on wood and please let's not jinx), Linds hasn't had a drop. It's been 4-6wks now. Oh please no more......

Back
Top Bottom