Do you bruise easily?

Bruise easily?

• Yes

Votes: 58 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 20.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I bruise easily sure! But that is because all the furniture and the walls keep moving in my house!

Taking (at the moment, undergoing changes)

Gabapentin 1,600 mg daily
Topiramate 200 mg daily
Lamictal 25mg daily

Keppra and metatopralol (for svt) I've bruised like its my job since junior year of high school. Just started the keppra middle of September. I honestly have found I bruise a lot easier since I was pregnant with my son. I also get the deep bruises as well, sometimes not showing for a couple of days. I do have to giggle though when I have his toe prints up my legs. But I am also very fair skinned, kind of always figured it was because of that (my sister likes to tell me I'm whiter then her new towels).

I'm on Keppra and Epival. I bruise easily but always have. I have pale skin and think it may be the contract that makes them so pretty :rose:.
Also, I've been called an "accident looking for a place to happen" more than once.

Im not yet diagnosed, so I am medicated with Lyrica only. I do not bruise easily.

I think I bruise easily. I always have bruises on me and I usually don't know where they came from. But I'm super clumsy and am always bumping into stuff so I probably just lose track.
I take Tegretol, Keppra, and Lamictal.

Last edited:
I was going to add that I bruise easily. I do not take any medication
I believe it is a vitamin or mineral that I lack.

I bruise easily to. I take Keppra, lorazepam, vimpat, I am anemic. My son takes topamax and Depakot sprinkles. and tenex. Both of us bruise very easily.But as long as we take our vitamans we are ok. Sometimes worry will do that to you.

That damn Tegretol, seems to be a common denominator for a lot of us. I take the generic form (Carbamazepine) and was told up front it caused bruising, but not to worry because they were painless and no cause for alarm.
I noticed a few have mentioned Carbatrol as well and as that is a form of Tegretol it must be among the worst if not the worst for bruising. I don't know how many times I've looked down and seen a purple mark out of nowhere. I just press it to see if it hurts... if it doesn't then it's the meds, if it does then I start backtracking to how/why/what I did that I've bruised myself and don't remember.
Also on Topiramate (Topamax) and Lamotrigine (Lamictal), but the Lamotrigine is still fairly new and I've been bruising for years with the Carbamazepine.

Last edited:
Yes I can bruise easily but the bruises never worry me.

I volunteer at a charity shop & sometimes help move furniture around on the selling floor or help with pick ups & deliveries (picking up donations from people or taking sold furniture to the people who purchased it from the store.)
It's easy to knock your leg on a piece of furniture while moving it or knocking your arm after picking a piece of furniture up so I often have bruises after I have been helping with the furniture.
I am also a little clumsy at times & sometimes bump into things around my place lol.

I take Tegretol (400mg twice day) & Keppra (1000mg twice day).

Last edited:
Yes, I do bruise easily, but then so does one of my sisters, and she does not have epilepsy.

I am taking Dilantin and primidone.

lavatera :e:

I have been playing with kids out side and so forth. My son takes those meds and he bruises so easily. I'm so tired.

I dont take anti-epileptic meds as of yet. I never bruised easily before I had the annie. I noticed that when my skin (anywhere on body) presses against a hard surface, I get a bruise there. Sometimes in the shape of the object. Not taking any meds at all, other than tylenol etc...

The easy bruising has been more recent than some of my meds, so I won't list those. But the ones I take/have taken that fall into the time period would be Trileptal, Lamictal, Dilantin, and Vimpat. I think if the meds are causing it, Trileptal is the most likely as far as when I've been taking it. The three other drugs are relatively new to me.

i take tegretol and lamotrigine but i bruised easily before i even started taking any medication

Only when I did full contact Muay Thai, downhill mountain biking and power kiting, oops forgot fall off my motorbike. :)

My 8 yr old daughter is on Lamictal & Vimpat. I took her to the pediatrician for a mystery bruise that was very dark purple & quite large. She had a blood draw to see if she was having problems with her clotting factor & there were no problems found. The blood draw was very easy but also caused her a lot of pain & 2 very large bruises. All this started after being on Vimpat. We just titrated up to her full dose, then added some more Vimpat because seizures were still happening. From all of your posts, it seems that Lamictal is the common medication. My daughter's bruising didn't start until after adding the Vimpat at the higher dose. When I consult her Drs about the warnings on the RX as a side effect to "contact your dr" they just say "she's a kid being a kid". Hmmm, never seen so many large bruises from sitting around coloring.

Back
Top Bottom