Do you feel it's safer to have a seizure at home alone or in public alone

Where do you feel it's safer to have a seizure when you are completely alone?

• At home alone

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • In public alone

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I know no one likes to have seizures in public but I feel it's better to have one there when you are alone so people can help you in some way, even if it's by calling 911, instead of being at home alone where you have no help.

My does not like to leave me in a store all alone but it's ok to let me walk around the store by myself if there is a family member in the store with me. They have no problem leaving me at home all by myself all day long or over night though. I just can't understand this, it really makes no sense to me.

Please feel free to explain which choice you would feel better about.

Last edited:
I would rather have one at home alone. Even though when I am out I wear a:
1) Medical alert band saying that I have epilepsy.
2) A lanyard type thing I made myself that says that I have epilepsy and name of emergency contact.
3) Key tag that says that I have epilepsy.
4) Custom made watch with medical alert info. that says I have epilepsy and contact number on the back.
It seems like nobody knows what epilepsy is. They call the paramedics or something sometimes an ambulance is called. Even with insurance I can't afford to keep paying for ambulance fees and emergency room visits.

:soap:

At least in my case I have very rarely hurt myself after falling.
But that's just my opinion. I'm sure that seizures effect everyone differently and I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt if they did like I do.

Last edited:
It would depend on the severity of your seizures. For me, there is nothing anyone else can do to help and they could very well get in the way (like panicking and calling an ambulance that is not needed). If you really need an ER, then that is different.

I would rather feel like crap in private.

I've only had seizures at home, at times I've had some when living alone.

I have to say, barring major injuries those are the best. All I do wake up in the bathtub and continue on with my day. No panic, just a dull headache.

I "fought" one off early this morning...didn't have an actual seizure...just what I call "my body trying to have one, but didn't get the job done"....lol ..so usually I can tell if it's going to be a bad day or not...I'm feeling the "numbness' around my head right now....totally unmotivated, and not wanting to "participate" in my daily life whatsoever...I'm alone all day...and what I do is basically text my family about every hour or so...and if no one hears from me for quite some time, then someone will call and check on me...or come by...and I would rather have them at home then out in public....i'm a private person about it all and would do anything to keep it at home...I have an advantage though because mine always happen at night or 4-6 am....so im usually at home anyway, in bed...only had one on the couch, in the morning, after another one earlier that morning and had gone back to sleep..(mistake)...lol..plus I would rather be at home because usually when I come out of it, im not very friendly, and usually cuss a lot...lol

For me, a seizure is a seizure, regardless whether is happens at home or when I'm in public. It's happened both and both times, 911 has been called. When I had my first TC seizure at home it scared the crap out of my family and I suffered serious burns, so they called 911. Another time, my kids were young and home with me by themselves and I went into a TC seizure, so the neighbor called 911. Another time, I went status and my daughter called 911, (she was in college by then). And several time I've been out walking by myself and went into a TC and the folks who saw it automatically called 911. I wear a MedicAlert bracelet that has all info, but they still take me to the hospital.

The only time 911 hasn't been called while seizing in public is when I've had a CP seizure, and that has happened many, many times. I can usually get thru those without strangers noticing. Family & friends notice, tho. And if someone is going to have E, then SPs or CPs are the easiest way to go. Unless they go into a generalized seizure............

This is an interesting question and I am in a quandary as to how to reply. Being at home, I would be alone. Being outside, I would not be alone but would people even be aware of what is going on?
I, personally, do not have tonic clonics but I have had simple partials and unless I am with someone that knows me personally no one would even know.
Recently, I had an experience with a new friend that was not knowledgeable of epilepsy. I told her that I had been having auras and that I didn't feel well. She was prepared to call 911. I told her that it was not necessary because it would be pointless. She was just very concerned because, "she didn't know." Luckily, I was able to function the rest of the day, but she was very worried.
I think that if we are aware of "our" situations then we can inform people of what they need to do.
Just my opinion.
M

I would rather have one at home so I'd be in a 'safe' place during post-ictal. One time I had one in bed, fell out and cracked my head. My wife had to call the ambulance and I freaked out in post-ictal when the paramedics were there and the lights were on..

Basically I'd rather come out of a tonic-clonic alone in a place that is safe and comfortable for me, than in a public place where people could help.

Thanks for the interesting question Valerie.
Whilst I don't have epilepsy but care for someone that has, I think communication would be important to how you want the management of your epilepsy be undertaken with friends, family,members of public etc
Unfortunately, there's not much dignity with tonic clonics & you can't always control when seizures actually happen .

I'm a big believer that people generally should learn about basic 1st aid and understand there's different types of seizures that affect people differently.
Have to understand, that if one has never seen a seizure before it can look scary, people can panic.
It may be just another for you, but not for them.

I've had them both at home and in public, but all the public ones have been with friends present -- which makes it easier, since they know what to do and not to call an ambulance unless there are particular circumstances. But I'd rather be at home even if it means I'm alone. It definitely depends on your seizure history, as well as a your calculation of your risk for injury if you're home alone.

It definitely depends on your seizure history, as well as a your calculation of your risk for injury if you're home alone.

I completely agree, and with this in mind I would rather have them at home and alone. Most of the seizures I have do not seem to completely awaken me from sleep, but the really strong ones do and if at these times someone is sleeping in the same room as me I get such odd looks that to me look like a combination of fear, "how come you are behaving so oddly", and "let me out of here". And mine are not even TCs.

I find that in public, people don't know how to react or what to do, and most often people will just walk around you and ignore that you're having a problem. I'd feel much safer at home in my own house than to trust strangers...

I feel free it's safer to have a seizure at home.I don't remember my seizures that much unless I hurt myself.If I have one in public people seem to freak out.I can simple,focal,complex,or even tonic-clonic sz's people seem to always want to call 911 when they see me have a seizure.If I need medical help I'll get it.

I normally only have complex partials. I think that if I were to have one people would probably think I was high on drugs unless they knew anything about epilepsy and the different types of seizures.

If 911 were called I don't know if it would just be the police that came and just haul me off to the police dept or if it would be an ambulance, maybe both? I do wear a medic alert bracelet saying I have epilepsy but I don't know if the police would think to look for it or just take me away because I was 'high'. Paramedics probably would look for the medic alert bracelet and then realize what's going on.

I did have a tonic clonic in public, with my husband with me, and he said everyone just walked by me staring at me shaking on the ground. Not a single person stopped.

I vote home alone (I have nocturnal tonic clonics mainly) hehe at least like a this its my "little secret" ;)

That is a hard one to answer. I am always with someone whether at home or at public. They know what to do. Since I can go into status, 911 is always called if I have a Tonic Clonic.

If I am alone and outside, that would be better.

I'd rather have a seizure in public. At least someone will call 911. Last seizure I had I was unconcious in my apartment for 1.5 days before I woke up and was sane enough to be able to call out for help (had severe confusion and psychosis so it took a while after waking up to realize what was going on). Finally after I started calling out for help, I was able to get someones attention and 911 was called. If I would've had the seizure in public, at least someone would've called 911 during the seizure. I suppose that's a hypothetical situation, but in theory someone would make the call. It really isn't that hard and takes only a minute to call 911 anonymously. And most likely I'd be out at a bar or restaurant anyway and the staff would take interest just for self preservation's sake (liability). Personally, even though it is expensive and costly to call 911, I would much rather 911 be called. The EMTs will make the decision whether or not the hospital would be needed and could get me home safely if not.

That said, most of the time my seizures are focal seizures and I don't lose conciousness. I've had probably thousands of seizures over the last 20 years and it's never been an issue (till now).

Luckily for me, i've have them at home since i've been on Gabapetin. For me that is a blessing. Especially since i've had them during the day on previous meds and of course they happened at the worst time. And yes and i had gotten into an accident because of one, during rush hr even. So this small control for me is a blessing. I'll take an extra 2 hrs to get ready in the mornings, but well worth it i think.

Cheers,
Zolt

:piano: :pop:

pro cons in both places risk being hiked off to hospital then paying wretched taxi home but on my own I aware it going to happen and panic making everything worse

Back
Top Bottom