• Work FULL time

Votes: 102 47.0%
  • Work PART time

Votes: 34 15.7%
  • At present off sick due to E. but aim to return to NORMAL hours

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • At present off sick due to E. but aim to return to REDUCED hours

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • In education i.e. school, college, university etc.

Votes: 42 19.4%
  • I am a full time Mother / Father / Carer

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • I am not in education nor work due to epilepsy

Votes: 27 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 8.3%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am toward the end of my studies for a doctorate degree in education and have had graduate assistantships up until two weeks ago. I was let go from a department because my major didn't mesh with what the Director wanted. I'm education, they kept all the Southeast Asian Studies majors in the Dept of Southeast Asian Studies.

I worked full time and went to school full time prior to leaving to get my current degree and often had seizures at work, especially in the morning.

I am attending Northern Ilinois University and have worked in Student Affairs, then was recruited by Athletics to be the Life Skills Coordinator. They cut the budget and an Associate Athletic Director did my job. They still needed a Community Service Coordinator, and I did some of those duties, but since I didn't drive they didn't offer it to me. My inability to drive and get out into community no doubt had a play in that decision.

I also work Northern ILllinois University football games as an Instant Replay Field Official.

I have co-taught 8 graduate classes as well but haven't gotten paid for them but have received credits and valuable experience to put on my vitae.

I plan on being a professor if epilepsy doesn't thwart that plan as well. I have been discrimminated against due to epilepsy in my quest for jobs in higher ed before. That area could be the most ignorant of all. They preach diversity but epilepsy scares the heck out of them.

Hi Deb
It's only been two years since i have been diagnosed with Tonic Clonic. At work i have gone down twice. Once in a team meeting Yuck, then off to Hospital, and again in the Group home i work in, Hospital job again. Fortunately steps have been put in place to call 911 if i go down as we are single staffed at times . I don't really require 911 but when you work for a Hospital there is procedure ! politics, and policy . Could i lose my job if this keeps up on a regular basis . Yes! Great life if one does not falter.
Hang in there Ed.

:e:

Hi All,

I'm currently not working due not being able to get a job. I have been long-term unemployed for over 10 years - want to work - really want to work but just haven't been able to become employed. I am claiming what is known in the UK as Jobseeker's Allowance or JSA, abbreviated.

I have had quite a few interviews - during my years of unemployment - and do think that my lack of employment is due to being long-term unemployed, having a slight speech impediment - which is only really noticable when I'm nervous or excited and my epilepsy - people - especially employers are very wary and scared of epilepsy. Since my speech impediment is affected when I'm nervous like I am at job interviews then obviously the people interviewing me might/will have difficulty in understanding what I'm saying. Which doesn't help matters at all!!! Urgh!!!

During my unemployment - it is really getting to me - I've have had some workplacements and have done some volunteer work. One volunteer job which I did doesn't give out references as it is against the charity's policy to do so!!! Very disappointed when I learned they wouldn't give me a reference especially since I did volunteer work for them for 3 years!!!

I be extremely happy when I finally get a job - I know I will one day - just a matter of when!!! Hopefully sooner, then later!!!

I'm also am doing a part-time course at one of local colleges. It's a math course and currently doing ok in it at the moment. I do fear - with serious tredipation when we start doing trig - because I had serious difficulties with it when I did a previous math course. If any one here is able to give any help - if I need it - would any one be able to help me? I do know that this is most likely not the best to be asking such a question - but I've asked anyways!!! Haven't done trig yet but know we will be doing so. When I don't really know!!

Miss Choccy

Susan

:e:

Last edited:
I have used all my time, over 10 years volunteering in the schools. My epilepsy was so bad there was no way I could work durring that time. But durring that time I met some wonderful people. Then I got pregnant and had a son who is spec. ed. so in this district its been about 16 years of volunteering. My seizures are finally under control and I am enrolled in school to become a special ed teacher. Yea. I am so scared. Homework again.You guys are so smart and will get it.What would you tell your student to do?

I am curious if any of you did/do factory work? What were some of the adjustments your employer made,if any.My company isnt opposed to honouring docs restrictions of a safe enironment[offline work].But only if you have the seniority to hold that job.They do temporary placements-couple weeks at a time,but they wont do that on a permanent basis.nor would I want the hassles with 20 year eployees who see a 10 yr employee getting a good"offline"job.There would be grievances galore written about that!So,anyway,what have some of you done to stay safe in your work environment.I would appreciate any ideas.Theyre basically telling me "we hired you for factory work and if you cant do your job,get your doc to sign medical retirement papers.Unfortunately,doc feels people with seizure disorder should be employed and so do i when they are controlled-but with his statements,I cant even qualify for soc sec because he feels I am capable of some sort of employment-office work was his suggestion

re working environment

Hi
Not much help here. I'm not really sure where this can go as i have not gone the limit on having seizures at the work place. At first they were quite accomodating and double teamed me , however the budget soon ran out around that. In my field, and it's mental health. I will be alone taking care of 10 people at a time and will be on shifts up to 13.5 hours at a time. If i go down those about me are instructed to call 911 regardless, and are provided with a number to alert my manager who is on call 24/7 for all aspects of our work. Although there is some smoke and mirrors around a final outcome my best guess is that they hired me to do a job and if i can't fufill the obligation i'm out. Sure my Doc would also say that i can be employed but where would that be? beats me because as we are well aware this illness is unpredictable at best .
Hope it works out for you ... and me

Hope it works out too.I can understand docs wanting a safe environment,but what about responsibilities/I cant blame the company for not double-teaming you on a permanent basis just like I understand Ford not giving me an office job with no chance of injuring myself or causing others to be in an injurious situation.but Gosh,are we all supposed to take the bus to Walmart and be greeters if we are still uncontrolled or in a bad way?I just cant find to much out there to fit my restrictions and allow me to support my family.Well,as Ive been told numerous times,theres people in worse situations,however that really doesnt make it better anymore because i prefer wallowing in my own troubles-LOL

re work

Hang in there punky
Hope does indeed spring eternal and as you are aware there are no guarantees in this life. I was told that if you want a guarantee you buy a refridgerator. I guess this is just another one of those lovely tests of character. Why me? no idea
Ed.

I would find out your rights in your state and then maybe talk to a lawyer. I have done manual labor. And in WA they can not fire you for having seizures. The ADA will have something to say about it. Also keep in mind what kind of worker you are, how many days have you missed. Mel , things will be ok if you become your own advocate and know your rights. And get another opinion, it's your life, not your Doctors.

Mel,

Is there a job in your company's quality inspection department? That may be safer than working on the actual production line.

As far as work restrictions go, no working at unguarded heights, no welding, no power metal stamping machines, are starts. Are there light assembly jobs that you could transfer to? Like maybe wiring or such?

Unfortunately,Quality control-you have people with 30 yrs and your restriction has to find you a job within seniority.In my plant,all work,including QC is done while you work beside an open pit while the van moves.You stand there and work on van while it moves or you take your stuff and jump in and work and then jump in.You always take your air tools with you and other stuff in your apron.Even offline jobs are done in the midst of factory floorright alongside the van-you just dont work on each van for 45 seconds then walk back and work on next one.The thing that caused me to have my first big seizure at work wasnt the constant movement or the lights reflecting on vehicles although these made me sick,it was the constant whiteness of vans.We produce commercial Econoline vans and they all are a sickly glow of white.

I do design, estimating and management work for a large mechanical contractor. Been employed by the same company for 35 years. Six away from retirement.

My epilepsy has only recently affected my job performance. Not because of seizures, had plenty of petit mals and one grand slam on the job, but due to medication problems. I'm in the process of correcting these problems. I'll probably never fully retire.

foul ball

I have worked full time since being diagnosed. I missed about two months when my world first fell apart, and then it happened again, and i returned to work within a week. I was doing everything I had done before, and everything was great. ( I guess I should add that I work in a large power plant, and of course there are some pretty dangerous places/things out here) Anyway, I went back to work the 2nd time, as normal, and I had a few restrictions, no ladders, no eights Then I came in for a shift that required me to be up and down ladders all day (the kind that go straight up, not your typical ladder) Some one noticed and had a hissy fit. Thankfully, I have a union job, and we have things in our contract about partial disabilaty. I have been moved up above three people senority wise into what we call the control room. I just sit here on my butt for 12 hours. Get paid way more per hour. I am in total control of 2 tubines that each generate about 65 MW net per hour, so it can be a pretty demanding job at times, just no ladders to climb and no heights to work at. I work full time, most weeks it's more than 40 hours, I work shift work, we work a 5 week rotating schedule of 12 hour shifts. Either 7Am til 7PM, or vice versa. It's hard sometimes with the meds, I get very tired, even on day shift. I have had one seizure here at work, and my co-worker is a 1st responder and just sat with me and let it go. He got his butt chewed, as our company has a policy and that policy IS to be followed. Which means they will call 911. It was mandatory that if an ambulance came on the property for medical attention, you WOULD go to the hospital. I have at least convinced them and they have agreed to let the EMT's decide if I need to be transported. I have a VERY hard time with the restrictions, I am used to working 60+ hours per week, and this has cut into that pretty deeply. I costs me a lot of money not to be able to work those extra hours, even with the pay raised that came with my new job. I have practically begged my doc to release me, then something else comes along, and she refuses. Says after one year, she MAY consider it.

I am a full time worker and a part time student. I've had plenty of seizures at work and school.

I can't work atm due to my seizures and the cause of them. But I would like to have a job again. Money was nice to have. I also want to go to school for Nueromuscular Massage Therapy but I have to wait until things are paid off and i can dedicate my time to studies and classes, not worrying about the next episode.

I'm not working at the moment but I am currently looking for either part time work or full time work.
I do a bit of voluntary work while I'm looking for work because I hate sitting at home doing nothing.
I also get the odd bit of casual fill in work at a chiropractor which is only every now & again but any extra money I get from helping out at the chiro comes in handy.

I am going full time at a University and work part time on campus cleaning. It's been difficult with trying to schedule my classes and prep time/studying and work all in. I am in contact with the student services department for students with disabilities. This has allowed my teachers and I to have a written letter or document stating my conditions and desired assistance or aid I would need to accommodating. My boss has also been very understanding and willing to work with me and be flexible with my hours because sometimes to do better in school i need a little more time to get stuff done due to side effects and problems with my E. It's all do able its just very hard and stressful sometimes.

My career is causing alot of my problems, I either work as a roadie, traveling all over in tour buses or flying all over or I commute an hour and 15 minutes to work, and often work 12 plus hours, on a constantly changing shift, this makes for barely any sleep, and both jobs can be stressful. I'm thinking about switching careers or finding a gig with regular hours.

To help with bills etc I was lucky enough to qualify for SSI. However find the right job for me is hard to find. The biggest problem I have with work is transportation.

I wish I could remember this group that specifically helps people with epilepsy get jobs, many of them from home. If I can think of it i'll post it here.

I get transportation from the state. Call your doctor and your social worker and they will help you get on some sort of transportation to work.

Back
Top Bottom