• Work FULL time

Votes: 102 47.0%
  • Work PART time

Votes: 34 15.7%
  • At present off sick due to E. but aim to return to NORMAL hours

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • At present off sick due to E. but aim to return to REDUCED hours

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • In education i.e. school, college, university etc.

Votes: 42 19.4%
  • I am a full time Mother / Father / Carer

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • I am not in education nor work due to epilepsy

Votes: 27 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 8.3%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I got fired from my last job. They made up some bs excuse "I left a mess on the cafeteria floor" strangely after reporting my diagnosis. I had to miss a few days over the next month for more tests. They found a way around the legal stuff.

They went out of business 8 months later.

Last edited:
Right now I'm working full time from home (my boss is wonderful) since last week's t/c. I don't know how things will go. My ears still ring and the idea of commuting in to SF (45 minutes on BART). Never had such a hard time rebounding from a sz (she says having only had 5 in a lifetime)

Hi BlueCat, I have problems with my ears ringing sometimes. I used to take BART when I lived in Hayward. I never wanted to go under the ocean, though. That scared me.

I still live in CA. We are having a horrible drought here.

I am glad that you have a boss who is understanding. That is hard to find, a jewel.

full time

I got fired from my last job because of my epilepsy. I found a new position really fast and just didn't tell them that I have it. I'm taking my meds and doing my job so I don't think they'll ever find out. I've been seizure free for a year and a half and the meds are working great so far

I work a full-time and a part-time job. I also have a 4 year old son. Thankfully both of my managers are very understanding. I got offered to have some of the light bulbs above my desk taken out if they cause any problems.

I worked for a lot of years with E. Retired when I got cancer.
Everybody told me I would get bored being retired. Hasn't happened yet.

Currently a loser

No job
No education

I disagree, you are not a loser.

I have never had a job or been able to drive. I am a Positive Thinker not a loser.I have had epilepsy since I was 6 years old, I am now 72 years old.

I have raised 4 children and I am married. Some people think that a housewife is a loser. I have never been a loser. and neither are you.

Think Positive about things that you have accomplished in your life. Think of 5 things that you are grateful for.

Alola, I have been retired since my children left home. I still have one at home. I would rather be retired in Hawaii.

:cheers: to George who is a good friend.

Ruth, you are an inspiration.

Why don't you go pick up George and both of you come out here for a visit? Sunshine does wonders for one's mood. :)

George, I understand why you feel this way, I've lost eight jobs because of E, but it's up to you to get a grip and think positively. Think of all the people in the world who are worse off than you, I'm not sure where you are, but here in the UK, we have access to a lot of college courses at reduced prices, I've had some great jobs and wonderful bosses, and I keep on looking for both paid and voluntary work. I also still give talks to schools, colleges,various organisations etc about Epilepsy, and I get so much positivity from that, just knowing that I'm helping to raises awareness. I drove for a year, but now, because the second surgery caused my Blepharospasm, I'll never be allowed to drive again, tough yeah, but I just keep smiling, because I will not let epilepsy get the better of me. C'mon George, we're made of strong stuff us folk with epilepsy eh?

Hi Elaine, it sounds like you have some college education. Do you?

I never had any college education.

Employment Troubles

I think employer's biggest problems are, that we'll take a lot of time off, have seizures everyday,and of course, they don't realise there are over forty types of seizure, they just associate the condition with the Grand Mal. They also automatically presume that we will have big seizures at work, and hurt ourselves and be after compensation!! We're covered by the company's insurance, unless it has changed since my last full time job in 2012.
They don't know enough about the condition, they are scared, and don't want the hassle, I've had an employer say to my face.."you'll never be any good working in an office as long as you have epilepsy" then he sacked me!! At the end of the day, if we don't all get together the world over and educate the public, this will keep on happening for at the very least, the next generation!
I will keep giving my talks as the ignorance and stigma towards us makes me angry, my whole career was ruined, and I have even had problems working in voluntary positions where they have got rid of me, I shan't give up though, no way, I'm as capable as anyone else, if not more so, we all are.
Stick with it George, I know exactly how you are feeling, and obviously set yourself high standards as do I, and I also despise being alone at home and unemployed, please do know that you are so not alone with the way you are feeling, isolation and depression are very commonly associated not only epilepsy, but any restricting medical condition, and not having our own transport triggers many problems. Keep in touch with us George? Best Wishes x

Last edited:
Elaine, I'm curious if the UK has anything similar to the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act).

I think employer's biggest problems are, that we'll take a lot of time off, have seizures everyday,and of course, they don't realise there are over forty types of seizure, they just associate the condition with the Grand Mal. They also automatically presume that we will have big seizures at work, and hurt ourselves and be after compensation!! We're covered by the company's insurance, unless it has changed since my last full time job in 2012.

It's true, Elaine. I would add that they would almost be more comfortable if we had a big seizure at work. Then they could do something for us. As it is, all they can do is watch me wave my arms and wait for me to climb back into a fully conscious state. My boss is VERY uncomfortable when I have a seizure in his presence. My husband works at the same place I do, and my boss will try to find him - as if there's anything he can do!:roflmao:

Whenever I watch a tv show that portrays epilepsy as a grand mal/tonic-clonic seizure, I just cringe. They just keep missing an opportunity to educate people about other types of seizures!!

The insurance thing isn't an issue for my employer - they don't cover me because I'm not "officially" full time. They probably never will make me full time because of my e, too. But try to prove that one. :ponder:

:twocents:

I'm a high schooler, and will probably try to find a job in a year or so. My e is still uncontrolled and I (on a good day) can have 4-5 really long seizures. I live in a small town now too, so I don't know where I would even start to look. I have scoliosis so I can't stand for a long time without hurting, fast food and e don't seem to mix real well. Especially if you're cooking. My dad runs his own law firm, so there's a good chance he will hire me as a secretary, but I want to go into pediatric neurology and med school is expensive. Any thoughts?

I'm former military (Canada) and was fortunate enough to be able to finish my twenty year contract at a desk. The military quite often will release people with long term disabilities that restrict there work. I was also fortunate enough to be able to stay in the same office with a civilian job. It still frustrates my neurologist that I basically lost my military career because of epilepsy. I still miss deploying at times (navy not army). It can be hard to deal with when your career is taken away from you and its not on your own terms!

I voted for my son, I am not in education nor work due to epilepsy AND due to his brain damage related impairment.

He is going to special needs day care for 5 days a week from 9 AM till 15 PM, brought there and back with a wheel chair taxi bus.

I work full time as a teacher in communication on an university of applied sciences. But I have no epilepsy.

Hi Deb,
I work full time in Special Education in a public school, I've been doing this job for 30 yrs. and I can see how my epilepsy helps relate to other students who have physical or learning disabilities. I am open with the student about my epilepsy and try to show them that they can do it in life and succeed. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

In my case I did night nurse I had few problems other than that.i myself did not want put myself or others in danger .i was asked if I could function as night sister and be honest I could not.it was early stages of my e also baby with special needs so took my parting greatly regretted it bc could taken side ways move.After that work was hard to come by when said e.
Some of it was my fault I could put up better fight arguments but lost soul in it.I so regretted.....I did hear of a nurse who I vaughly knew she was on a ward one night the boss decided to check he thought could see pair legs sticking out of sterile room the girl had dibetese and e having never told anyone she had either.whilst in coma she fitting too poor girl was in i.t unit for long time she remained unconscious technically both could been sorted quickly she ended up with the boot the caring profession was not so caring.
Restrictions were put in place with diabetes and e as to what and where the best place for you....I think things are less relenting these days.You got be sensible in what ever you do I would like be train driver or piolet that would not happen then or now sometimes you got run with what you have however inconventient .Ask myself if would I want fly with one captain with e answer no then told the best piolet had e then I fly.but you will never have piolet with e

Back
Top Bottom